Banco Popular Sucks

collectomaniac1

Sep 20, 2005
Being charged fees no one knows why wont return calls!!!
a poorly run setup beware this company sucks!!!! more problems but with a name like banco poplular what should i exspect every one speaks broken english and everyone plays dumb and passes my calls ,,,,

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
collectomaniac1 said:
a poorly run setup beware this company sucks!!!! more problems but with a name like banco poplular what should i exspect every one speaks broken english and everyone plays dumb and passes my calls ,,,,

I agree..... They helped themselves with over US$600 from my account and admitted they made a mistake BUT could not give my money back. When I closed the account they wanted to know why! :bandit:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
They are run.............

...........by misfits with a capital M. Especially the POP main office at Central Park....... The manager there is a NITWIT (all caps)! She has the intellegence of a 5 year old. (Foreigner 5 year old of course).

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
I agree

collectomaniac1 said:

I have NEVER had a good experience with Banco Popular--at any location in POP or Sosua! I have dealt with Scotia, Nortena, and Banco Popular, and believe me, given a choice I NEVER deal with Banco Popular. They ARE idiots!
I have never had a problem with Scotia or Nortena, though.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Never had a problem with them.

We have business and personal accounts with them.

We have a great contact in the local Banco Popular branch and she takes care of everything for us. Banking here is often about who you know in the bank.

Go and make some friends at the bank, your life will be a lot easier...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
POP Bad Boy said:
...........by misfits with a capital M. Especially the POP main office at Central Park....... The manager there is a NITWIT (all caps)! She has the intellegence of a 5 year old. (Foreigner 5 year old of course).

You crack me up POP Bad Boy!! ;) And I agree completely with you..
I stick to Rebublic Bank in POP, and yes, as Robert posted, of course you need to make a friend or two at any place, like a bank, Verizon etc etc..
It saves time and energy.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Yes, they do!

A short example. Rented a car Friday and Europcar held $11,000.00 pesos while I had it for 2 days. Sunday morning returned it and paid cash and Europcar did a cancellation. I see by internet banking that I'm still short $11K in my available funds. I called BP. They said "it's in transit". AN ELECTRONIC CREDIT DONE SUNDAY AT 10 AM AND IT'S TUESDAY 4 PM! I wish there was something better but who says Scotiabank, Progreso, Reservas would be better?

Cronin_Andrea

Aug 25, 2005
same with us

they suck! suck! suck! made my husband make a trip from ny to dr 4 years ago by giving me the wrong info and when I asked for 40,000 dollars from my account they wanted to know why and when I was going to the bank to get it, can you beleave it so the guard could tell one of his friends to wait for us outside I immagine, why would they needed to know when.
Andrea

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
Porfirio

Cronin_Andrea said:
they suck! suck! suck! made my husband make a trip from ny to dr 4 years ago by giving me the wrong info and when I asked for 40,000 dollars from my account they wanted to know why and when I was going to the bank to get it, can you beleave it so the guard could tell one of his friends to wait for us outside I immagine, why would they needed to know when.
Andrea

Andrea, not realy surprised are you ?? Apparently you and your Husband live in NY, where reality survives, and people receive some respect. While not perfect, at least you can afford a car or a dinner out in NyIn the DR, only if you have a name like Leon, Brugal or Lama or other connected people do you receive courtesy or even recognition. Move back here ??? why are so many at the beach every night to go illegally to Puerto Rico. Why have well over one million Dominicans abandoned this society, and are living better lives in the US. Families here can?t make it with prices higher than you pay in NY or MIami. Crime is the only thing succeeding here. forget about the Government here listening to our pleas for relief. They are too busy stealing the money that have confiscated from us with a tax system that appears to have originated in Disneyland. Everything is being taxed or added to make new taxes. to support these thieves. Your lucky to be out.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 accounts and 22 years later, I have never had any type of problems with Banco Popular. Neither have any of my family members!. NONE!.

I did had a few problems with the my bank here in the US. They "forgot" to add a 900.00 dollars deposit for over 3 weeks!.

Meaning: sh*t happens everywhere!.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
they may be idiots....

CyaBye3015 said:
Not only are they idiots, but they are thieves! They got me with their AMT machine!

They may be idiots, but as in any other "situation' in the D.R....it's not what you know...it's WHO you know...if you have money at stake.....start sucking up and use your charm...your life will be much easier.... Knowing someone on the "inside" in this country means everything! ( not JUST banking with Banco UNPOPULAR!!...)
This is an easy country to get what you want and need....its all about patience......easier said than done.. I know...............................it's why I now live 6 months in and 6 months out.....full time in the D.R is way too much work!!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Banco Popular

Robert said:
Never had a problem with them.

We have business and personal accounts with them.

We have a great contact in the local Banco Popular branch and she takes care of everything for us. Banking here is often about who you know in the bank.

Go and make some friends at the bank, your life will be a lot easier...

I know what exactly that but it shouldnt be that way, the way things works with a lot of bank in DR is passing the call to the next person, from clerk to clerk and from manager to manager but rarely have the problem solved.

Banks shouldnt be working "Contacts style" people are paying for a service and on top of that people have to suffer to get their money or service done right without taking days.

But vaya! lucky those one that have contacts...

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
simpson Homer said:
I know what exactly that but it shouldnt be that way, the way things works with a lot of bank in DR is passing the call to the next person, from clerk to clerk and from manager to manager but rarely have the problem solved.

Banks shouldnt be working "Contacts style" people are paying for a service and on top of that people have to suffer to get their money or service done right without taking days.

But vaya! lucky those one that have contacts...

I don't have the power to change the mentality and culture of the banking system in the DR. Actually, I don't want to, it works fine for me. I work it like the rest of the Dominicans. It's not about luck, it's about becoming more Dominican.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Robert said:
I don't have the power to change the mentality and culture of the banking system in the DR. Actually, I don't want to, it works fine for me. I work it like the rest of the Dominicans. It's not about luck, it's about becoming more Dominican.

I agree whole heartedly, I've dealt with BP for almost 3 years now and have never had any problems, apart from trying to explain what I wanted during the early days with my broken Spanglish.
I worked at getting to know a couple people in the bank and now at least 4 of the employees always greet me any time I come in, just makes things so much easier.
I've heard horror stories about almost every bank in DR, so like a number of the long time residents have said soooo many times, NETWORK and get to know people, preferably in the right places.
Ken

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Robert said:

Well said. And it is the absolute truth. The only way here and now, in this culture. That is what we deal with, reality.
The only and easy way is to do it the Dominican way, and you have no or very little trouble.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
gringagirly said:
They may be idiots, but as in any other "situation' in the D.R....it's not what you know...it's WHO you know...if you have money at stake.....start sucking up and use your charm...your life will be much easier.... Knowing someone on the "inside" in this country means everything! ( not JUST banking with Banco UNPOPULAR!!...)
This is an easy country to get what you want and need....its all about patience......easier said than done.. I know...............................it's why I now live 6 months in and 6 months out.....full time in the D.R is way too much work!!

What??? Suck up to the ATM Machine???

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
Have had nothing but good experiences with BP. Two years now. New BP office in Torre Alta area on Av. Manolo Tavarez Justo has been great (809) 586-4888. The manager Michelley Almonte (speaks english) has always been helpfull. Helped me with my first two accounts, money transfers and when I opened a business set up checking account, internet banking (which works great), and even made sure I was issued a debit card and credit card for the business.