What's Good?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm about to build a house is Sosua, and it's going to cost me a bundle. But sitting here in NY, reading all the doom and gloom posts makes me think I'm crazy for doing it. Yet when I'm in Sosua I love it, and I hate having to leave my Dominican family and return to NY. Sure, I'm less exposed to the general chaos of the country, but that's what gringos do.

So expats, are you sorry you made the move? Are you getting your exit strategies in order? If I was your father, son or brother would you tell me not to do it? Or is it the good life you were hoping for? - D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Danny W said:
I'm about to build a house is Sosua, and it's going to cost me a bundle. But sitting here in NY, reading all the doom and gloom posts makes me think I'm crazy for doing it. Yet when I'm in Sosua I love it, and I hate having to leave my Dominican family and return to NY. Sure, I'm less exposed to the general chaos of the country, but that's what gringos do.

So expats, are you sorry you made the move? Are you getting your exit strategies in order? If I was your father, son or brother would you tell me not to do it? Or is it the good life you were hoping for? - D

I love living in Puerto Plata.
It?s about patience, adaption and still not understand some issues, ever.
It?s about A,B,C plans, it?s about patience again, and to learn to change what we can, and accept what we cannot change..And learn to see the difference.
It?s about a sometimes hard reality, even for us "gringos" with our own businesses and some money.. Cause we are part of society..

Still, I love it. It is home.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
what's good

Danny W
Rent by the year and put the money you forgo spending and the ongoing upkeep into interes baring accounts. D.R.; U.S.; Swiss. Doesn't matter. Or split it up. You do the math. Unless you are specialyou should come out way ahead. Or buy some land. No real costs and It is a non depleteing asset.John

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The local business climate has been a very scary roller coaster for those of us trying to make a living on the local market.

For those with foreign income however, the problems are less severe, certainly bearable.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
These Posts are Right On

Even when you have an intelligent Dominican wife that handles affairs. It is just totally beyond comprehention how screwed up the whole system is. Leonel will now have his excuse with the oil crisis?-- for screwing every thing up. Yes we do Love it! Why? We all have our reasons. I would have liked to have been an OLE Swachbuckler-- in modern day, like camping and hob-knobing with people. no use for the keeping up with whatever. i guess what makes life good in the DR is you can lay back and then you just Never Know. Your blood can go from hot to cold in 5 mins. just can't get it out of my system. Escott for Presidente!!!!!!!!!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Escott for Presidente? I hope you are referring to beer!

Danny, Real Estate is a safe haven. It was when Hippo came to town and remained so with Leonel. Still not a bad investment in my opinion. I have a closing today at 3pm.

No exit strategies for me. You couldnt get my fat arse off of this Island with a stick of DYNAMITE. I am here and I will stay here.

I think that speaking about things I don't agree with may have some influence on this government. I am sure some influential people read DR1. Complaining isnt a bad thing. Glad to be able to do it actually without fear.

Spend that boatload of money! It will make you feel good.

Escott

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I think all of us who live here went through a rough adapting period, especially if we didn't have good contacts and enough $$ to pay our way through everyone. Do I regret staying it out? Not one bit. It's just made me appreciate life a hell of a lot more. I'm still living pretty humbly, going to Burger King is still a pretty big deal, not so much as before but it's still heaven on earth for me, but if I compare my life 9 years ago with how I'm living now, I'm pretty proud. This country offers you many oportunities, if you know how to make the best of them!

And between you and me, not having to look at the thermometer each day to see if it's freezing outside before I leave the house makes it worth it! If you're willing to adapt, don't expect the impossible and are willing to put some effort into it, I'm sure you'll have a blast.