Importing Electronics tax - duty free

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I heard a rumour that you can now bring in through the airports electronic stuff with you and there is no tax or duty.

I thought this was the case around Christmas time for two weeks or so but not year round.

Any comments???

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Heythere said:
I heard a rumour that you can now bring in through the airports electronic stuff with you and there is no tax or duty.

I thought this was the case around Christmas time for two weeks or so but not year round.

Any comments???

i hope this is true since i'm traveling to dr in 2 wks and
bring a cash register and don't want any problems with dr customs.

where did you hear this rumor?

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
we did it without any problems

we arrived amonth ago via santiago with two laptops, a dvd player and a few other electronic items and had no problems at all! maybe luck of the draw.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
nebraskamom said:
we arrived amonth ago via santiago with two laptops, a dvd player and a few other electronic items and had no problems at all! maybe luck of the draw.

but they still had to put your luggage through the machines right?
did you give the guys there any tips?

whenever i would give them tip and tell them that i wanted to get out fast they will pass my luggage through machines but they will not bother.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have come through Las Americas two times in the last 6 months with electroincs. The first time, I had a video projector in a carry-on bag. The second, I had a desktop in my suitcase and a laptop in a carry-on bag. Neither time was I searched nor put through the magnetometer; I was simply waved through. However, other people were directed to the magnetometer line where their luggage was being scanned. I don't know what would happen if the magnatometer detected a laptop, etc. but I assume it is nothing that a few pesos couldn't take care of.

Larry

Last edited:

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
I'm too clueless

THE GAME said:
but they still had to put your luggage through the machines right?
did you give the guys there any tips?

whenever i would give them tip and tell them that i wanted to get out fast they will pass my luggage through machines but they will not bother.

we actually told them we had electronics in our carry ons because we didn't know what the machines would do to them. on the way in they just checked for explosive material and nothing at all at the airport in santiago. maybe they were expecting a tip but they didn't get one.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Larry said:
I have come through Las Americas two times in the last 6 months with electroincs. I don't know what would happen if the magnatometer detected a laptop, etc. but I assume it is nothing that a few pesos couldn't take care of. Larry

I bring my laptop and an external DVD burner with me each time I visit the DR. They usually run it through the scanner at Las Americas, but have never asked me even a single question about it. I doubt that it costs me 10 seconds of my time! :)

Swede