Shame to see how horses are treat in DR

quisqueyalinda

Sep 21, 2005
Please, help me to make the President of the
Dominican Rep., Dr.Fernandez Reyna To embosom the citizens of the Dominican Republica, to respect and not to mistreat the animals of this Country. Like the Politics, and citizensin Republica Dominincana, allow that the tourism, has contact with the
animals in special the Animals like the horses are not vaccinated and they let them put in contact with the tourism.. I live in Bklyn, Impressive NY. to see
as those horses suffer because they explot them. Good, if it is as
much desire to live on them because not to give a working time,
vaccines and feeding him. That I know the feeding of them is the grass
of the street. I as for me and thanks to God have mouth and I can do the
complained. The horses and dogs of the street cannot, much less to
vote. But, I think that is guilty the one that makes the crime,
like that sees it and it does not do anything. Please, we call to
President DrLeonel Fernandez unamosly in this nobleman
causa.MALTRATO ANIMAL, CRIME ALREADY! :tired:

PADELA, is a nonprofit org. help animals from the street to get vacination, oparation not to contineu reprodution. This Organization is located:
Isabel La Catolica, No5, Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo, DR.
Their tel # is 1-809-685-0999 Fax1-809-566-8398 Web Site: www.padela.org
Email: padelard@hotmail.com or e.porcella@verizon.net.do

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I agree with you that it's horrible to see how animals are treated in this country but you do have to keep in mind that this is an underdeveloped country. In many cases horses were and are still the burden beasts for the farmers and poor people. I work in a tourist ranch in the Punta Cana area and we always do our best to treat the animals as best we can. Some employees have actually made comments stating that our horses are better treated and eat better than their children. I think that says a lot. Unfortunately, many tourist ranches are there only for the $$. They spend just enough to keep their animals alive and producing and when they're not fit for work anymore, they find another poor bastard somewhere else.

And from what I've seen so far, the secretary of tourism doesn't have much control of anything. I had to call them to come over and test our horses and they didn't even bother to check the place out or anything else. When I asked in how much time they'd have to come again, they said, "in about a year, there isn't much control. Don't worry, you're ok."

I can however tell you that I've observed a change in the past 9 years in how people in general treat and look at animals. Now you see more dogs and cats living indoors, treated properly and vetted. 9 years ago that was a bit weird. They've still got a long ways to go but the ball is rolling and that's what counts. I also know a few vets that help out as much as they can taking in stray animals, vetting them and then giving them out to good homes. I think that bit by bit, the Dominican people will start seeing animals as friends rather than just stupid animals.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I agree with you 100%. I love animals and hate seeing the way they are treated but KateP is right. The DR is an underdeveloped, uneducated third world country.

Animals are at the bottom of the list of the abused. Dominicans first need to stop abusing Dominican women, children, the poor, the dark skinned and especially the Haitians. Until then I wouldn't expect an animal humane society to pop up and start educating people and saving animals.

Sad but true.

Scandall
Animal Lover

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
So right, both Scandall and Kate.
Animals are not on the priority list by the Dominicans.
It will take time to change, but me too, I see a huge difference today, than say 5-6 years ago.
Especially with dogs.

Fortunately the ranches that handles tourism are mostly foreign run, and the animals are well treaten, and I know from personal experience how the owners also work hard to teach, and demand, that the horses are to be treated with respect, get correct food etc etc.
Here in Puerto Plata for instance, Gayle, the owner of Lorilar, the largest ranch on the north coast, have worked hard for 13 years with these issues, and her ranch is an example that locals can be taught and even enjoy what they have learned.

But in general, there is a long way to go.

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
Care of Horses and Mules

carina said:
So right, both Scandall and Kate.
Animals are not on the priority list by the Dominicans.
It will take time to change, but me too, I see a huge difference today, than say 5-6 years ago.
Especially with dogs.

Fortunately the ranches that handles tourism are mostly foreign run, and the animals are well treaten, and I know from personal experience how the owners also work hard to teach, and demand, that the horses are to be treated with respect, get correct food etc etc.
Here in Puerto Plata for instance, Gayle, the owner of Lorilar, the largest ranch on the north coast, have worked hard for 13 years with these issues, and her ranch is an example that locals can be taught and even enjoy what they have learned.

But in general, there is a long way to go.

I own Rancho Dorado, El Cupey, over looking Puerto Plata. We presently have 4 horses and 2 mules working on a daily basis. Because I love my animals and highly value the work they do....I try my best to properly care for them but my men don't have a clue and I need to learn much more in this area. I know how to give vaccinations for parasites and vitamins but need to know more on how to care for sore feet and how to properly shoe these animals. Perhaps someone could put me in touch with Gayle, Lorilar Ranch and I could follow her example.........Thanks..........Lloyd

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Caribee said:
I own Rancho Dorado, El Cupey, over looking Puerto Plata. We presently have 4 horses and 2 mules working on a daily basis. Because I love my animals and highly value the work they do....I try my best to properly care for them but my men don't have a clue and I need to learn much more in this area. I know how to give vaccinations for parasites and vitamins but need to know more on how to care for sore feet and how to properly shoe these animals. Perhaps someone could put me in touch with Gayle, Lorilar Ranch and I could follow her example.........Thanks..........Lloyd

You can go to the website of Gayle and Lorilar, there you have phone etc
www.puertoplatahorsebackriding.tk

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
caribee

Caribee said:

i tried to send u a PM, but it wouldn't let me? Do u have an email or something?