New Provinces

Apr 26, 2002
Turning to Congress' most important work ;) , a bill has been introduced to create 5 new provinces: Constanza, Haina, Esperanza, Santo Domingo Oriental and Villa Riva.

The last administration, in its infinite wisdom, decided that San Jose de Ocoa needed to become a province. Its only town has a population of about 25,000 and is about 25 minutes drive to its former provincial seat at Bani. Remember that each new province gets two additional Senators, a federally funded provincial government and lots of patronage jobs. Apparently there are plenty of PRD supporters in Ocoa.

Constanza was not made a province then even though it has a population of about 65,000 and is a perilous two hour drive to the nearest provincial seat - Bonao. But Constanza is not in the same province as Bonao. Constanza is in La Vega province and the provincial seat is at La Vega city - another hour away further from Bonao still. Apparently, there are a shortage of PRD supporters in Constanza.

Based on population, I understand the desire to create Haina, Santo Domingo Oriental and Constanza provinces. I presume, though, that Esperanza and Villa Riva (they've got to be kidding us on the latter one in particular) are some kind of political pay off.

Last edited:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
botellas

Look from where are the people that are proposing this. PRD and PRSC, the worst thugs. Only reason for this is to increase the bureaucracy, creating more " botellas" , do-nothing positions , so they can pillage the government.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm going to put up my town for province. After all we have more than 40,000 people and a river that divides us from Cotui. I know we're only a five minute drive to Cotui, but who cares...

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Our wonderful PRD legislators at work, of course!

This idea is absolutely ridiculous. How far will these PRD/PRSC legislators go to steal more of the people's money by having senators, congressmen, governors, etc.? Cuba is 2 or 3 times bigger than the DR and has had 10 provinces forever. What a country!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its funny how all the pro-PRD DR1ers shy away from posting on this thread.

Anyhow, if they keep going with this new province creation every x number of years, we are going to end up with hundreds of provinces the size of conucos!