Possibilities as a designer?

Deacon

Sep 21, 2005
Hi all,
I m planning to move to the DR next year and look for a job as a graphic designer. Is there anyone who has experience on this field?
Thank you very much

project9

May 29, 2004
The market is over saturated with designers ... every kid that doesn't want to go study and drew a few comics at schools ends up in the graphics/web design "industry".

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The graphic/web design is not organized like in Europe or America here.
There are some successfull companies out there, but mostly small when it comes to employees.
I run my own company in Puerto Plata, and have no one employeed, only one person for accountance, a service that I buy.
Other companies ( not kids trying to make a business ) are more the printing businesses. They have someone usually that makes easier layouts as business cards etc. Very often quite unqualified persons, at least here in Puerto Plata. These are locals, they are fluent in Spanish, often friends or family to the owners. Salaries are low, 6000-10000 pesos a month.
A newbie would never come close to those jobs though.

As project9 wrote, the market is over saturated with people calling themselves designers.

Deacon

Sep 21, 2005
Thanks,
The thing is this.
Im a Hungarian designer living in Mexico since 2003. Im 27 now.
Last time when I had to look for work, I found one here in 2 weeks.
I have seven years of experience, fluent spanish, fluent english... although the last one doesnt really counts there I guess. Here either.
So. I got in touch with some designers there, and they got me a list of good places to work in santo domingo. They also said, EXPERIENCE is very important , so I think those wanna be ones only can get to the wanna be design firms... the better ones look for somebody with experience.
shame, shame, shame but they also say, it helps to be foreigner.
The other thing: dominicans tell me usually that with 500 USD i live a normal decent life in Santo domingo. It gave me some comfort. Now I read that If I want to eat good Ill spend 50USD in a restaurant???? well...it has to be high end.