Jose Reyez will he be better than Derek Jeter

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Lol

qbzcandy said:
I love Jose already he has over 60 stole bases, he most exciting shortshop in the majors

Signature
So Hood Magazine

I like Reyes but there is a big difference between stealing a few bases and being the all time leader in post season hits. Let's see him win a few world series and then you can THINK about making a camparison.

I think he has talent but seems to lack confidence at times...which is something that oozes (is that a word?) out of Jeter.

Larry

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
He needs to learn patience to get on base more. Without that, he may bat .300, but his on base percentage will probably be .305

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!!

qbzcandy said:
I love Jose already he has over 60 stole bases, he most exciting shortshop in the majors

Signature
So Hood Magazine
Since Jeter has proven himself in 9 years, talk to us about Reyes in 9 years.

To be good is NOT to be good in one season, one needs to be consistant. Jeter has been good his whole career. So again, talk to us about Reyes's "greatness" in 9 years!!.

qbzcandy

Sep 16, 2005
miguel said:
Since Jeter has proven himself in 9 years, talk to us about Reyes in 9 years.

To be good is NOT to be good in one season, one needs to be consistant. Jeter has been good his whole career. So again, talk to us about Reyes's "greatness" in 9 years!!.

well thats why i said will he be?? He has potential to be great and he will improve on his batting average ....keep in mind...he's only 22 years old just a baby!!

Signature
So Hood Magazine

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Larry said:
I like Reyes but there is a big difference between stealing a few bases and being the all time leader in post season hits. Let's see him win a few world series and then you can THINK about making a camparison.

I think he has talent but seems to lack confidence at times...which is something that oozes (is that a word?) out of Jeter.

Larry

only reason why Jeter has so many post-season hits and world series rings is because he was/is part of the NY Yankees... not because of his talent. Like AROD once said in magazine interview, Jeter is surrounded with great players and has been blessed with talent around him,,, that's why he has been so successful with Yankees... Yes sure he's a good player but put him in the mets, tampa bay, arizona, kansas city royals and see how many post-season hits he has and how many world series rings he's gonna get.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
High hopes

George Jetsen's... my boy Elroy's.... (son) ;) now he may have a chance at shortstop be better than Mr. Derek Jeter. :nervous: :nervous:

qbzcandy

Sep 16, 2005
FuegoAzul21 said:
Jose Reyes is good ,but i dont think he has jeter talent
talent u crazy! jose has a waaay better throwing arm than jeter and can run from 1 base to home as fast than any player in the majors..and with time and experience jose will evolve throw out jeter out the yankees they will still win and put jose in there they still will win but this year boston still are the champs...

Signature
So Hood Magazine

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
qbzcandy said:

Signature
So Hood Magazine

Reyes will be better than Jeter? Reyes has a future, but until he gets named captain of the NY Yankees, wins 4 World Series, consistently plays under constant scuntiny in the toughest sports situation in the world, is a perennial All-Star, is been consistently mentioned in the same class as SS/players like ARod (as a SS), Nomar (vintage yrs), Miguel Tejada (then and now), don't ever think any dumb **** like that again.

Don't forget, Jeter made ARod (Mr. $252 million) learn a new position. Now that's about as real as it gets.

Maybe in the class of Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera, Rafael Furcal, David Eckstein, but the upper-echelon of shortstops or players for that matter, you are dreaming.

And you're solely basing it on stolen bases and excitement??? Jeter has a greatest hits collection like no other in basaball right now, and many of those plays happen in clutch situations.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Jeter on the Angles, Braves or Cardinals, would be Orlando Cabrera, Rafael Furcal, David Eckstein.

Jeter can't even hold ARod's jock, so please don't bring that to the table.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Wasting my 2,000 post on this!!

THE GAME said:
only reason why Jeter has so many post-season hits and world series rings is because he was/is part of the NY Yankees... not because of his talent. Like AROD once said in magazine interview, Jeter is surrounded with great players and has been blessed with talent around him,,, that's why he has been so successful with Yankees... Yes sure he's a good player but put him in the mets, tampa bay, arizona, kansas city royals and see how many post-season hits he has and how many world series rings he's gonna get.
Since this is my 2,000 post and it's telling me that I need to get a life since I have so many posts in a little over 2 years, I will make it a good one:

GAME, IMO, this statement is just about the most absurd statement that I have read on this site!!.

When a player is good, it does not matter on which team he plays.

Remember Vlad Guerrero and the Expos?. They sucked big time and he was always good. He was traded to a better team and he is still good.

A team does not makes a player, a player makes a team.

So are you saying that one just needs to be traded to the Yankees and you automatically become a good player?. I wonder what happened to Luis Sojo since he played with the Yankees for many years and was only a so-so player. Man, what was I thinking, I should had gone straight from College to the Yankees and not worry that my talents were limited, lol.

Bottom line, if a player is good, he will be good ANYWHERE he plays, whether he plays with the Tigers, the Yankees or with the MLBIM(Major League Baseball In Mars).

Have talent, will travel, ANYWHERE!.

You are not a Yankees fan, are you?. You gotta be a Red Sucks fan!.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
miguel said:
Since this is my 2,000 post and it's telling me that I need to get a life since I have so many posts in a little over 2 years, I will make it a good one:

GAME, IMO, this statement is just about the most absurd statement that I have read on this site!!.

When a player is good, it does not matter on which team he plays.

Remember Vlad Guerrero and the Expos?. They sucked big time and he was always good. He was traded to a better team and he is still good.

A team does not makes a player, a player makes a team.

So are you saying that one just needs to be traded to the Yankees and you automatically become a good player?. I wonder what happened to Luis Sojo since he played with the Yankees for many years and was only a so-so player. Man, what was I thinking, I should had gone straight from College to the Yankees and not worry that my talents were limited, lol.

Bottom line, if a player is good, he will be good ANYWHERE he plays, whether he plays with the Tigers, the Yankees or with the MLBIM(Major League Baseball In Mars).

Have talent, will travel, ANYWHERE!.

You are not a Yankees fan, are you?. You gotta be a Red Sucks fan!.

yankees are evil.

if you're indeed a yankee fan you should remember what arod said in
interview with magazine few yrs back (forgot mag name) about jeter (his
buddy). He said jeter is surrounded by great talent.... implying that
he (jeter) has won many rings and has been successful mostly b/c he's
being in good yankee teams.

i'm not saying jeter is not good... i'm just saying he would not have that many
rings if he was with another team. Look at Mattingly,,,, excellent player but never won world series.... yankees started to win after he retired.

just like in basketball for example... you got karl malone, patrick ewing, and others who never won championships... b/c they were in teams that did not win.... so if you're really yankee fan you should remember what arod said
and i know arod tried to play it out afterwards saying people misread his statements. Arod has proven that he's good no matter what team he is on.

if the statement was absurd i guess you're saying that about arod, currently a yankee player.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
NY1 said:
Jeter can't even hold ARod's jock, so please don't bring that to the table.

And ARod still can't hold Jeter's 4 WS rings. So you're right, please don't bring that to the table either.

Please don't forget that the most recent Yankees' WS title runs were of teams with no superstars. They were team players. Jeter was the break-out talent, but it didn't fit the needs of the team. He was a major reason why they won 4 WS titles. ARod was putting up stats in Seattle and Texas, but what did he accomplish? Absolutely nothing. Well, he did sign that monster contract. Smart move on his part.

ESPN and fantasy baseball really got folks thinking that it's all about stats.

Few people in baseball PLAY the game of baseball like Jeter. With him, from day one, it's never been about the stats. The team must win, and he does whatever it takes for that to happen. Even if it means batting 1st, 2nd or 9th, he does it without bitching and produces when called upon. He should have been batting 3rd a long time ago. However, Torre decided that he would best serve his team as the straw that stirs the drink. Productively, he obliges. How many superstars in the game today willingly sacrifice their game and stats for the betterment of their team?

The oldtimers get it, and without question, they respect it. He'll be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, no question.

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Jose Reyes vs. Derek Jeter

qbzcandy said:

Signature
So Hood Magazine

I doubt it. Jose Reyes has great talent but I don't think he will ever have the heart that Derek Jeter does. Few players do. I can see Derek Jeter getting to 3000 hits. I don't think Reyes will but I hope he has a great career as well.

Moca

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Please don't forget that the most recent Yankees' WS title runs were of teams with no superstars.

Oh yeah, Mariano...not a hall of famer. Clemens....not a hall of famer. Jeter, Not a hall of famer. Petitte....not a border line hall of famer. Cone...not a border hall of famer. Bernie and Posada, not border hall of famers either.

Yep no stars on those teams at all.

ARod was putting up stats in Seattle and Texas, but what did he accomplish? Absolutely nothing.

OOh, I m curious what you think of Don Mattingly then.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
THE GAME said:

I remember this interview. ARod was straight-hating when he said that. He conveniently forget that he also was surrounded by talent like Ken Griffey Jr in his prime, Jay Buhner in his prime, and Randy Johnson in his prime. That team beat the Yankees in the 1st year of wild card playoff series. ARod left Seattle for the money AND because Seattle traded away Johnson and Griffey. ARod and Jeter still got beef about that interview. ARod was just jealous. Remember ARod, Jeter, and Nomar used to be best of friends. Nowadays, they probably don't even speak. Jealousy is a MF.

The Yankees did not start winning WS titles in the 1990s until Jeter and Torre got there. They sucked for a long time before that. Look it up. 1996. 1998. 1999. 2000. Jeter's 1st full season in the ML? 1996.

The Yankees lineup back then? Yeah, they were loaded with talent alright. Take a peek at the "stars." They were really imposing.

1B - Tino Martinez
2B - Chuck Knoblauch/Pat Kelly/Mariano Duncan/Luis Sojo/Alfonso Soriano
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Wade Boggs (end of career version)/Scott Brosius
LF - rotating - Tim Raines (scrap heap)/Dave Justice (scrap heap)/Darryl Strawberry (scrap heap)/Shane Spencer/Chad Curtis/Chuck Knoblauch/Jose Canseco (scrap heap)/Ricky Ledee/Gerald Williams/Luis Polonia
CF - Bernie Williams
RF - Paul O'Neill
C - Joe Giraldi/Jim Leyritz/Jorge Posada
SP - Jimmy Key, David Wells, David Cone, Andy Pettite, El Duque, Dwight Gooden (post crack), Roger Clemens
RP - John Wetteland, Mariano Rivera, Ramiro Mendoza

By the time, Roger Clemens and Soriano got there in 1999, the Yankees had already won 2 WS.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
NY1 said:
Oh yeah, Mariano...not a hall of famer. Clemens....not a hall of famer. Jeter, Not a hall of famer. Petitte....not a border line hall of famer. Cone...not a border hall of famer. Bernie and Posada, not border hall of famers either.

Yep no stars on those teams at all.

OOh, I m curious what you think of Don Mattingly then.

The main constant in the change from also-rans to winners was Jeter. Since his 1st year in 1996, things have changed in Yankee land.

Mariano? Is NOW a hall of famer. Farm system product. Not a free agent. He took over the closer job in 1997, after they won the WS the year before. Meaning, they won without him closing games out.

Clemens? I never liked the signing to be honest. Was never a fan of his before. I've come to respect him. He earned his way as a Yankee. He was a Hall of Famer before coming over, but he signed to get a WS ring. Don't fool yourself. The Yankees had already won 2 WS titles without him. And they won in spite of him in 1999, when he stunk up the joint.

Pettite was another farm system product. Started in 1995. Was always a 3rd or 4th starter, until later in his tenure as a Yankee. You forget that they were trying to trade him for years. His 2nd yr with the Yankees was 1996, the 1st year of the run. He was a true Yankee, should still be a Yankee, but they didn't treat him right. Hall of Fame-wise, only time will tell how things fare in Houston for him.

Cone was a big-game winner for a long time before the Yankees. By the time he got to the Yankees, he was a scrap heap pitcher with a few good games left in his arm. Don't forget he also won with the Mets back in the 80s. He had tremendous heart and would pitch until his arm gave out. Hall of Fame-wise, he had some shining moments with the Yankees. However, his Hall of Fame fame was from days of the days of old. He only had 1 good year (1998) out of 5 for the Yankees. In 2000, he was 4-14.

Bernie Williams is a borderline Hall of Famer. Depends on how they look at it. His regular season stats aren't that great. He just had a knack for delivering in the clutch and showing up big in the postseason. Prior to 1996 (his 5th year), he never hit more than 18 HRs or drove in 82 RBIs.

Jorge Posada has been a great catcher over the years. He was not a dominant player however. Piazza was that. Pudge Rodriguez has been a better catcher as well. To compare them, and you know Piazza and Pudge will be 1st ballot choices. I'm not sure if Posada is a Hall Of Fame player or not. His stats are very good, so it'd would be borderline. In relation to Jeter, Posada didn't take over the fulltime catcher job until 1998. By that time, they had already won a WS with Joe Giraldi.

I'll even do you one better. Joe Torre was a sub-.500 manager until his Yankees tenure. When was his 1st year? 1996.

FYI - Mattingly was a great Yankee. I've always felt that he was over-hyped. Dave Winfield was the star of those teams. Donnie Baseball was a great Yankee, but not a Hall of Famer. Those Yankee teams that he led as captain sucked badly. He also accomplished nothing, as far as winning. Remember they won AFTER he left.