Getting inverter service in POP

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
It seems my 3.6 Trace is broken.
It is not charging the batteries, neither producing power (although the batterias have enough voltage: 24.6).

No AC output voltage and no warning LEDs on ON and also charger is inoperative.

Of course, I checked all connections, and they seem fine.

The last time I was charging the batterias with my planta the were lighting around, so I wonder if static electricy may not have been broken the inverter.

Anyway, my question to you people is if anyone knows a good service in the Puerto Plata area.

For now my computer is running on planta power, but my gas bill is going to kill me.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have never found any decent service for trace/Xantrex products on the North coast.
Usually they take the unit in, deliver it to Santiago a few days later, then pick it up a few days later, and you're without the inverter for a week.
If you want the address, directions & phone number of the "same day" service center in Santiago, send me an e-mail.
(Left click on my nickname, to do so)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Costambar / Puerto Plata area...

I use Jorge at 1-426-7086 and/or Junior at 1-674-1836. I have 3 invertors at different houses and they always service mine and my batteries. They don't charge much either.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP Bad Boy said:
I use Jorge at 1-426-7086 and/or Junior at 1-674-1836. I have 3 invertors at different houses and they always service mine and my batteries. They don't charge much either.
Are they Trace/Xantrex inverters, and if so, do they repair them the same day?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
one.............

Rocky said:
Are they Trace/Xantrex inverters, and if so, do they repair them the same day?
...........is Trace, the others I don't know off hand, but they have always worked well. They are in the other houses but I got them all new. One from Trace in POP and the others from Ochoa in Santiago. I have had them all over 5 years and never had any major problems.

These guys are just "locals" that know how to fix the stuff or know where to get it done "at their prices" not GRINGO prices. .....and they won't rob you. They do electrical work too........

.........worth a try to have them look. Otherwise you may have to bring them to a shop and be without them for a while. Won't cost anything for an opinion as to whether they can fix them......lots of times it's just a fuse or something.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I believe this is the gentleman that just called me.

Since his inverter is only 2 months old I gave him directions to Luis Hernandez, the authorized service center in Santiago.

I am pretty sure this is not same day service, but I doubt whether anyone promising same day service is able to actually deliver right now, Inverters are breaking down like mad these days with all the electrical problems the country is experiencing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP Bad Boy said:
...........is Trace, the others I don't know off hand, but they have always worked well. They are in the other houses but I got them all new. One from Trace in POP and the others from Ochoa in Santiago. I have had them all over 5 years and never had any major problems.

These guys are just "locals" that know how to fix the stuff or know where to get it done "at their prices" not GRINGO prices. .....and they won't rob you. They do electrical work too........

.........worth a try to have them look. Otherwise you may have to bring them to a shop and be without them for a while. Won't cost anything for an opinion as to whether they can fix them......lots of times it's just a fuse or something.
That's good to know, but do they repair same day.
If for instance, you have blown a "tarjeta", do they have them in stock?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MrMike said:
Since his inverter is only 2 months old I gave him directions to Luis Hernandez, the authorized service center in Santiago.

I am pretty sure this is not same day service, but I doubt whether anyone promising same day service is able to actually deliver right now, Inverters are breaking down like mad these days with all the electrical problems the country is experiencing.
That's exactly where I was going to send him, and I have been getting same day service from them.
On rare occasion, when the unit is badly damaged, it takes one day to fix.
Their prices are very reasonable, as well.
the last time I had my 3624 repaired, it cost me 800 pesos.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Thank you to you all, and specially to MrMike for the help.

MrMike told me my inverter is still covered by the warranty, but since I could not find the inverter invoice I decided to try some of the Puerto Plata shops before going to Santiago.
I took the inverter to Time Lighting, and they were very fast, but not cheap.
In fact they offered me to come to my home, but I guessed it could make the thing too expensive, so I took the time to remove the inverter and carried it to POP.

In 45 minutes the inverted was fixed.

It seems lighting caused a wire to explode and damaged the bigger chip in the main circuit board.
They fixed the wire, that was not enough, then tried with another board, which worked fine, then replaced the inverted board, chaging the damaged chip and that was all. The inverted worked OK.

All took about 30 minutes.

The bad thing is that the cost was 3800 pesos.
Of course, I have no idea how expensive the replaced chip was, so I cannot tell if I paid too much for the work.

They also tried to sell me a "contactor" to protect my inverter from lighting ($ 7000), but I didn't buy it, although I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get one.

Ben

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aguayo said:

MrMike told me my inverter is still covered by the warranty, but since I could not find the inverter invoice I decided to try some of the Puerto Plata shops before going to Santiago.
In fact they offered me to come to my home, but I guessed it could make the thing too expensive, so I took the time to remove the inverter and carried it to POP.

It seems lighting caused a wire to explode and damaged the bigger chip in the main circuit board.
They fixed the wire, that was not enough, then tried with another board, which worked fine, then replaced the inverted board, chaging the damaged chip and that was all. The inverted worked OK.

Of course, I have no idea how expensive the replaced chip was, so I cannot tell if I paid too much for the work.

They also tried to sell me a "contactor" to protect my inverter from lighting ($ 7000), but I didn't buy it, although I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get one.

Ben
I think you got ripped off, it was a blown fuse.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Aguayo said:

Ben

There is a serial number and a manufacturing date stamped on the side of your inverter. If it is less than 2 years ago you don't need an invoice.

Although I personally thing you paid alot, you probably didn't lose much money. I don't know what your time is worth to you but in fuel alone you could easily spend half that amount of money making a trip to Santiago, depending what kind of vehicle you drive.

And having the job done in only 45 minutes has got to be worth something.