advice

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
Hello,

I recently got married in the Dominican and would like to bring my husband to reside with me in Toronto,Canada. Unlike many others we have a genuine relationship. I just got married in July and was wanting to know if its best to wait before applying for his PR. Is it very difficult? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
N

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
why wait?

If you're already married, start the paperwork as soon as possible. I'm not sure why you would hesitate. Get it going and if you decide to both live in the DR in the future at least his Canadian residency will be settled. Most people seem to have their paperwork processed rather quickly (4-6 months). But, there are times, like mine, where you run into delays and next thing you know, you're going on 9 months and counting. If you wait to apply, and then there are delays for whatever reason, you could be needlessly adding considerable time to the processing. It's not difficult at all. Just check out www.cic.gc.ca and it tells you everything you need and has all the forms you need to fill out. Just make sure you read everything carefully. Anything missed can add months onto the processing time.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Welcome to DR1. Search the archives first before going any further. There is a lot of information on this already posted!

Once you are finished come back and ask us specific questions. Just be ready for the fall out!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Get a lawyer who specializes solely in immigration matters (not the so called consultants who charge as much), get the paperwork in order - his passport and police clearance and it could be as little as 6 months.

You don't even have to meet LICO anymore for sponsorship. Though I suspect they appreciate a reasonalbe ability to survive.

PM me and I can give you a name of someone very competent (inToronto) who knows the right people and methodology.

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
thanks

Thank you all for replying so quickly.

My husband has already sent me his police clearance,medical and photocopies of his passport. I'm just afraid of sending it to CIC now because they aren't going to believe this is genuine relationship, I got married on July 29th, too soon?
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "fall out"? I'm fully aware of all the discourses tourism. After all the act of tourism is a neo-colonial practice. But hey, love has no boundries. Thank you so much. I will keep in touch!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
By fallout I was referring to comments in this thread. We hear of all kinds of relationships, sponsorships etc etc. Many are not "real", many are full of huge problems and many are disasters.

That being said, some are real and we are not here to judge you or anyone else. But we will call it like we see it!

Also, make sure you keep copies of absolutely everything. Document each conversation you have with government clerks etc. When you file, send photos, send more information then they ask for. Make sure you have a complete package. Keep courier forms etc to prove when you sent information or documents in.

Good luck, keep us updated on your progress.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
naz007 said:
Thank you all for replying so quickly.

My husband has already sent me his police clearance,medical and photocopies of his passport. I'm just afraid of sending it to CIC now because they aren't going to believe this is genuine relationship, I got married on July 29th, too soon?

The time from meeting him (e.g. let's assume not July 28th at 10 p.m.) to marriage is more important than the time from marriage to application for sponsorship. If you were in a conjugal relationship even long distance (though harder to approve) for a few years you could have applied then.

I'd think if it was a legit marriage that one would start the application on July 30th, as soon a possible in other words. Waiting for some time after the event is not germane.

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
Thanks so much, you all have been very helpful and kind.

I meet him June 19th and went back and got married. This is why I'm a little worried about sending my application to CIC. I understand that we got married quite quickly.
Also, I'm a fulltime student. Do you think this will hinder the PR process. Thanks so much everyone!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let me get this straight, you knew him for 10 only days before you married him?

If this is right I can see your concern. But that's not going to change anything for the time you wait after the marriage especially if you are not living with him at this time.

You'll have to prove how GENUINE this 10 day relationship really was before marriage.

Good luck. ;)

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Let me get this straight, you knew him for 10 only days before you married him?

If this is right I can see your concern. But that's not going to change anything for the time you wait after the marriage especially if you are not living with him at this time.

You'll have to prove how GENUINE this 10 day relationship really was before marriage.

Good luck. ;)

Anna, its actually a month and 10 days.

Naz007 that fact that your a full time student might be a bit difficult. You have no income, and immigration is going to want some type of affidavit. Basically they want to make sure that he wont become a burden to the govt. and someone has to have enough funds to support him until he can get a job.

At lease thats how it is when you try to petition to bring someone to the U.S.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:nervous: Sorry June, July they are look the same without my glasses on. :cross-eye

Knowing him for less than 6 weeks before marriage will be hard for you to prove it's a genuine relationship but good luck anyway. ;)

Last edited:

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
Yes,

I knew met him on June 12 and married on July29th. I undertand this is going to be difficylt but believe it or not its true. I think I should wait until Dec to send in my appilcation at least it will be 6month sinto the relationship I also have letters of support from both our mothers. I was reading a comment from one of our members on how she had appealed her husbands initial negative desecion and it took her 2.5 years. I would really like to chat with you and if you could please explain to me ehy you think it was refused and how your appeal was succesful. I believe you are from Canada and therefore was dealling with CIC. I would really appreciate your help. I have loads of pictures, calling cards etc. I think its better if I take another trip down to visit before I send in the application? What do you guys think?

Thanks so Much,

Stressed!!

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
defintitely take another trip

You should definitely take another trip down. Not just because it looks good to CIC but so you can see if this is what you really want. Sponsoring someone to come to Canada is a huge financial undertaking and requires a lot of thought and trust. It is expensive to get the paper work but you also have to take on the financial responsibility of providing for your husband for 3 years. Now, having said that, if this is what you really want to do, don't wait until December unless you are prepared to get his medical done again. His medical expires 12 months from the date it was done. That means Canada has to do it's part in the processing (30 days) and then Haiti has to make a decision (4-6 months), issue the visa and he must leave the DR before that 12 month period is up. Failure to meet this adds another couple of months on to the processing time. Go visit, take a bunch of pictures, take friends or family from Canada to meet him too, make sure you have a stable place to live and no outstanding debt to the Canadian Gov't and go for it. I will pm you some of my experience.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
naz007 said:
Thanks so much, you all have been very helpful and kind.

I meet him June 19th and went back and got married. This is why I'm a little worried about sending my application to CIC. I understand that we got married quite quickly.
Also, I'm a fulltime student. Do you think this will hinder the PR process. Thanks so much everyone!!

I'd worry too. What are the age and looks differences if any?

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
I'm going to try to go down! Not a big age difference only 3 years. So I should try to go down again huh? Its so hard being in school fulltime. And it sucks that flights and more$ than all inclusive!

N

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Jozee74 said:
Anna, its actually a month and 10 days.

Naz007 that fact that your a full time student might be a bit difficult. You have no income, and immigration is going to want some type of affidavit. Basically they want to make sure that he wont become a burden to the govt. and someone has to have enough funds to support him until he can get a job.

At lease thats how it is when you try to petition to bring someone to the U.S.

Well lucky (and for a lot of reasons) we are not the USA. There is no means test for a legitimate marriage application. The legitimate part I have my doubts with though on 40 days. The LICO test went out with the fiancee visa.

naz007

Sep 21, 2005
shelly

Hi,Shelly,

I haven't heard from you.hope your well!! I'm leaving to DR tommorrow I will e-mail you when I get back!

N

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
have fun!

I just pm'd you. Have a fabulous trip!!!!

naz007 said:
Hi,Shelly,

I haven't heard from you.hope your well!! I'm leaving to DR tommorrow I will e-mail you when I get back!

N

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
hey there, so where did you meet this guy at, where did you get married at. i actually have a boyfriend who lives there to and i want him to come here, to the usa, and just wanted to know what you have done so far. as far as marriage, was it easy to do that there.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
You can get married at a hotel as part of a package so as long as the papers are all together that part is easy - city hall type or other civil ceremonies are not hard. Note the procedures for visa for a spouse to the USA and Canada (where the OP is) are quite different.