Is it safe

ginamw7

Sep 23, 2005
Hello, I'm a mom comming to Punta Cana (Melia Caribe) for the first time. My better half will be in meetings most of the day. I need a vacation, although usually my vacations end up with me needing a vacation from my vacation. My question is, is this place safe? Im from Myrtle Beach and they sugar coat the news for tourists so I am not interested in stats. I"ll only be there for 2 nights, but i want to get some sleep if I can, and not tie my little one to my waist. Anyone?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Come and enjoy!!

100% safe!!
Don't worry and enjoy this beautiful country! Please don't only sleep when you're here;look a little bit around, it's worth it!

Good luck!!

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Completely safe.
Enjoy, relax and behaive "normal" ( i.e don?t shower in dollars in front of peoples eyes - but you don?t do that at home either ).
I am sure you will enjoy your stay!

Sep 19, 2005
why do people ask if its safe...... there must be information going around to the contrary....most people who are adults shouls just act like adulta and not ask to be babied( refereing to people in general , no one specific)...it is dangerous to drive to work in NY!!!!!!!!!!!!, but we do it every day..... My friends down there all carry guns 100% of the time....could be several reason i imagine..one they can.. two is they live there every day and the odds will catch up to them that some one will see there nice cars and deduce they have money and try to hit them up. For sure they carry at night away from the beaten path...places you wont go....but there inlies my sorrow for you....my first trip and most of my second were spent off the beaten path way back in the sticks and what a georgous country.. the rivers the mountails the cliffs...from the cliffs over the magroves on the Monit Christi coast, to the mountains of Castanza, to the hills in batero that looked like Hawaii, to the open desolate beach on the Samana penisula north shore, with four foot rollers breaking along the beach for a half mile in both directions.. there are so many places to see.. other than the beach resort.....but then if you like peace and quiet close to the resort your significant other needs to be at... then you can still have a pleasant trip..... good luck......bob

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I guess it is a natural question for people coming the first time, to 1) Caribbean and 2) a poor country that foremost do marketing for all inclusives.

I see nothing wrong in that people ask about this at all.

ginamw7

Sep 23, 2005
I thank you for your replies, and hope it was not offensive to ask. If it were just my husband and I, I wouldn't be so concerned. I have one daughter and she's the world to me. We do go on vacations but usually to places we know, and know some one. This time it?s a bit different. We were invited on this trip and would offend our friends if we did not go. I'm sure the people of this country are peaceful but having the input of real people of who've been there (and are not trying to sell me a trip there) is reassuring.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
ginamw7 said:
I thank you for your replies, and hope it was not offensive to ask. If it were just my husband and I, I wouldn't be so concerned. I have one daughter and she's the world to me. We do go on vacations but usually to places we know, and know some one. This time it?s a bit different. We were invited on this trip and would offend our friends if we did not go. I'm sure the people of this country are peaceful but having the input of real people of who've been there (and are not trying to sell me a trip there) is reassuring.

It's completely normal that you worry about this kind of thing. Punta Cana is very safe since it's a tourist area. Of course, I don't recommend walking along a dark road at 11pm in any part of this country but just take the same precautions you would take anywhere in the US. In the hotel, don't worry and relax. Outside of the hotel, just keep your eyes open. And make sure you enjoy your stay!!! Punta Cana is dedicated to making peoples' vacations memorable!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If your hotel tells you it isn't safe, as many, do, pay no attention. Half the ejoyment of a Dominican Republic vacation is getting out and meeting the delightful Dominican people.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, I have to agree with my friends here

In Punta Cana you will be cuddled and your little daughter taken care of by a squad of baby-sitters like you won't believe. They adore children in this country and cuddle them to pieces.
Punta Cana is one of the very most nicest places you can ever go, and I am 100+ % sure you will have a very restful couple of days.

How do I know this? Well, I've lived here for a very long time--more than anyone else on this board, for sure, and have seen it and done it. And, I don't go around with a weapon in my belt. I am sure enough of my masculinity :p:p:p

Please just rest, I think that when you post your trip report, you will be saying a lot of nice things.

Have fun,

HB :D:D:D:D

freekofweek

Feb 22, 2005
I have been to the Punta Cana area 8 times within the last 3 years and NEVER had a single problem. Everyone is very nice and friendly. If you go to any "flea markets"/open markets, Please remember not to pay the first price.
Hope that you have a good vacation !!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
ginamw7 said:
Hello, I'm a mom comming to Punta Cana (Melia Caribe) for the first time. My better half will be in meetings most of the day. I need a vacation, although usually my vacations end up with me needing a vacation from my vacation. My question is, is this place safe? Im from Myrtle Beach and they sugar coat the news for tourists so I am not interested in stats. I"ll only be there for 2 nights, but i want to get some sleep if I can, and not tie my little one to my waist. Anyone?

Not to worry, you will be just fine there. Probably safer than Myrtle Beach.

Regards,
PJT

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
PJT said:
Not to worry, you will be just fine there. Probably safer than Myrtle Beach.

Regards,
PJT

I was going to say the same thing. I'm a Carolina boy and have spent many a night in Myrtle Beach.

My advice.... pack extra clothes. You might not want to go home once you see this place.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
In Punta Cana you will be cuddled and your little daughter taken care of by a squad of baby-sitters like you won't believe. They adore children in this country and cuddle them to pieces. HB :D:D:D:D

ginamw7, the above is the absolute truth. My son and daughter and their spouses along with my 3 grandchildren aged 5, 3, and 18 months vacationed with me in the DR last March and they all had a blast. My 18 month old grandson was a great hit everywhere we went. Nearly every waiter, waitress, or hotel worker just had to have a moment with him.

I believe he sorta got used to being spoiled 'DR style'. :laugh: You will be just fine. Enjoy your trip!

Swede

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i think to better answer your question, and a post that i would have liked to read before i visited the DR goes like this.....you may have read many stories or heard ones about crime,theft,etc re the DR. However, alot of this is Dominican vs Dominican regarding whatever.....as a tourist however, a few tips....if you decide to go off the beaten path, don't wear expensive jewelry, don't carry a purse (i learned this the hard way being new to the country (no they didn't get anything)), don't show how much money you are carrying ie don't wip out a wad of pesos in front of anyone you don't know (to avoid being a target and being ripped off) always lock your doors etc....here are a few tips not meant to scare you, and i don't think its fair to say its the same as the US bc its not, but at the same time theres no reason why u shouldn't enjoy yourself outside a resort, just take the extra precautions and realize that you are not at home. good luck and have fun!

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
One of the safer areas

Gina, I have made several trips to Punta Cana (stayed at the Bavaro Princess) and found it to be one of the safest areas that I've visited so far. The only problem I've experienced thus far were the vendors but, in all honesty, they are pretty easy to ignore. Don't worry, just enjoy yourself.