Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
Prompted by a post Gringo made:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=328341&postcount=6

I'm curious to know the real deal on this.

Are people making good money? What's the staff turnover like? What's the best part of the country for time share right now?

I know we have a few time share people on the board, so feel free to tell us what the real deal is.

Thanks.

Robert perhaps I can start the ball rolling. As You are aware I sell Realestate, and my two top agents work for me part time evenings and weekends. These two guys both sell Time Share full time, My top producer just built a house in Torre Alta an upper class suburb of Puerto Plata. He built the house in just over a year with all his earnings made directly from the Time Share sales (Paid in full), and supported his wife and four kids on the sales generated from his part time earnings doing Real Estate.
Buy the way not that it matters but he is Dominican and has only been selling for five years now.

My other Agent is also living in the same upper class suburb of Torre Alta. he owns his home is a Brit and has been selling Time Share here for 10 years. Nobody sells Time Share for 10 years with out being very good at what they do and of course the money will follow.

It is not my business however I would guess that the Dominican chap makes around $150.000 a year and they are both paid in US $

The second chap around $100.000,

Allow me to give you a breakdown of a above average sale........$15.000 salesman makes 8% if he is above the rest(Good) =$1200 plus $100 bonus.

Only two a week like this = $2600 US times 52 weeks = $135.200
and they get sales of $20.000, 30.000 and yes even $50.000
Do the math its not hard to make money in Time Share Sales if your good and on a fast track.

Unfortunately most people don't succeed.............

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I forgot to point out the late Johnny Honda Sold Time Share for many years here and was very good at what he did. He made lots of money because he was also well liked and could sell Ice cubes to an Eskimo and sand to an Ararb.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My understanding Robert is that you can make a very good living in time share sales. But, like all sales positions, most do not excel at it.

The turnover in staff is very high. The skills sets needed are more then just to be able to talk to people. You have to be able to actually sell! That isn't always easy and time shares are becoming more complicated and there is more competition. On top of that consumers are becoming more educated.

So, yes it is very possible to do very well. My understanding of the industry is that like most areas involving sales:
20 % of the salespeople make 80% of the money!

*also note that the time share industry is in a very large growth spurt*

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What parts of the country are the hot spots? Punta Cana/Bavaro?
What's the spread of nationalities selling time share?

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
timeshare

Supposedly Punta Cana is the hot spot for timeshare since they have higher-end clients. Most of the money is made by foreigners(Mexicans, Spanish and Gringo's)...not really the Dominicans. Alot of the Dominicans are not disiplined enough for the grind they have in the bigger name clubs. ...Alot of hours AND ya gotta show up!
The ones that do well make over $10,000 per month...and thats probably a hand full in the whole country. Managers make 1-2% override of all sales....so if they are at the right place, we are talking big bucks.

Shooter

Apr 15, 2005
Im a Realtor in Miami beach...timeshares are a hard sell anywhere it seems! Even in desirable areas. All astute investors and even the average person nowadays doesnt see Timeshares as good investments so you really have to have a lotta good points to be able to stick to. I can imagine itd be some good money in it in DR for the right areas. I certainly would sell them if I were there for any period of time lol

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ocean World Cofresi

There is a very big boom on right now on the North Coast in the Cofresi area due to Ocean World, A Vacation club that comes to mind had the forsight over everyone else to secure a five year exclusive lease inside to generate ups. (prospects) So as a result this Resort is grabbing all the quality family's that spend as much as $150.00 each to swim with the Dolphins.
Now this is marketing, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Most of the project directors here don't have this talent or forsight....

Time Share sales is a very competitive and rewarding field if you are on the ball.

However as indicated above 20% make the bucks while 80% hardly get by.

Last edited:

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Gringo, do you know the answer to this?

Sun Village is next door to Ocean World, so I am guessing that they are the marketers you are referring. Yet what they sell appears to be some kind of investment deal, rather than a typical timeshare.

Do you have any further info on that? And, if you are not referring to Sun Village, who is it, please?

Thanks.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes Abe I know the answer.

abe said:
Sun Village is next door to Ocean World, so I am guessing that they are the marketers you are referring. Yet what they sell appears to be some kind of investment deal, rather than a typical timeshare.

Do you have any further info on that? And, if you are not referring to Sun Village, who is it, please?

Thanks.

You are quite right Sun Village is next door to Ocean World and yes they are marketing an Investment Deal into the Sun Village Resort.

However the Resort I'm referring to is Lifestyle Holiday's Hacienda Resorts, who are right next door to Sun Village.

Lifestyle Holidays Hacienda Resorts secured the contract while everyone else
slept Including Sun Village!

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
Lifestyles Holidays Hacienda ..BAH HUMBUG!!!

Read this and tell me if you are still so impressed!
Go to www.timesharebeat.com ......search on the "beat" for Lifestyles Holidays Hacienda .....they may have had the brains to tie up a contract for 5 years, but they are still considered scum of the earth by many...right up there with Royal Holiday, another company in the D.R. with a horrible reputation not JUST in the D.R... type in Royal Holiday.....these thugs just took over the Ocean resorts in Punta Cana.....that chain is in for a BIG surprise...hope THEY didn't sign a 5 year contract with Royal!!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
gringagirly said:
Read this and tell me if you are still so impressed!
Go to www.timesharebeat.com ......search on the "beat" for Lifestyles Holidays Hacienda .....they may have had the brains to tie up a contract for 5 years, but they are still considered scum of the earth by many...right up there with Royal Holiday, another company in the D.R. with a horrible reputation not JUST in the D.R... type in Royal Holiday.....these thugs just took over the Ocean resorts in Punta Cana.....that chain is in for a BIG surprise...hope THEY didn't sign a 5 year contract with Royal!!

Sweethart I did a search and came up with Hilten Hacienda, not the same company babe.........You will have to search deeper to get the dirt on this place..........Anyway I don't give a flying fiddler's F*** as it is not my Company. End of story..........

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Timeshare=crimeshare

Didn't take long to link timeshare with rip-off's did it?

I have to think that the owner of Ocean World is sophisticated enough to throw the bums out if his guests are swindled by the representatives of this tenant of his. I would certainly hope so.

I have heard plenty of stories about reps of whatever company is in residence at Hacienda and the fabrications they create to sell timeshare. Most timeshare throughout the world is not worth buying--however some are and the hope here is that the DR will ride herd on the bad guys and do what it can to prevent consumer fraud.

Since fraud is rampant in the DR though, this is probably a pipedream.

"Shortsighted" is the only way to characterize most policies in the DR (and the US for that matter), so I guess that all we who root for the healthy growth of tourism in the DR can do is rely on the private sector to police itself.

The owner of Ocean World should send "mystery shoppers" on the timeshare tours that come out of his property to ensure that it's legit. That would be the smartest strategy.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting thing about time share

You have Disney, Marriot, Hilton, Ramada, Hyatt, Melia just to name a few.
all Involved in this cash cow business.

I hardley think that these places are Rip Offs ( Or are they?)

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I agree, Gringo.

The brand names that you mention often provide good projects. However, they represent only a tiny fraction of the overall industry and, Marriott in particular has a bad habit of overbuilding in certain areas and virtually guaranteeing that there will be no resale market whatsoever for their owners there.

The pertinent matter here is whether the DR will do what it can to prevent the timeshare industry from becoming like it is the Canaries and the Spanish coastline. Unfortunately those places are literally playgrounds for organized crime and the number of familes in the UK in particular who have been flim-flammed there is beyond belief.

If the DR hopes to curry favor with American vacationers in particular, it needs to be sure that timesharing does not taint the overall experience of new (and repeat) visitors.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
Babe This !!

Gringo said:
Sweethart I did a search and came up with Hilten Hacienda, not the same company babe.........You will have to search deeper to get the dirt on this place..........Anyway I don't give a flying fiddler's F*** as it is not my Company. End of story..........

Why are you so defensive???? Maybe YOU work there part time!!!!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
What are the positives of timeshare?

Before we spiral into mutual baiting and insults, let me just state the major positive about timeshare from the DR's standpoint.

St. Martin/Maarten is the perfect example of a destination where timeshare became a significant force. After the series of hurricanes that put a major crimp on that island's tourism numbers, the only people who repeatedly came back were the timeshare owners. That was invaluable to the island as it tried to hold on.

The government recognized this; AA acknowledged that a noticeable percentage of their tickets to that island were being sold to timeshare owners; and charter airlines began to arrange trips for timeshare owners as an alternative to scheduled air.

Admittedly the DR's economy is more diversified than St. Martin's even though its hotel industry is much larger. Therefore timeshare has less of an impact on the DR than on St. Martin. Nonetheless, if timeshare is going to expand in the DR as it has everywhere else in the world, tourism professionals should do all they can to ensure that it expands as cleanly as possible.

Which brings us back to an earlier point--Ocean World should police its tenants to make sure they are offering legitimate marketing packages and a plausible timeshare product to Ocean World's visitors.

"Plausible timeshare product" will sound like an oxymoron to many, but there are models that will work in the DR. It would take a much longer series of posts to detail them, but timeshare is here to stay--it's all about doing it well.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Gringo said:
There is a very big boom on right now on the North Coast in the Cofresi area due to Ocean World, A Vacation club that comes to mind had the forsight over everyone else to secure a five year exclusive lease inside to generate ups. (prospects) So as a result this Resort is grabbing all the quality family's that spend as much as $150.00 each to swim with the Dolphins.
Now this is marketing, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Most of the project directors here don't have this talent or forsight....

Time Share sales is a very competitive and rewarding field if you are on the ball.

However as indicated above 20% make the bucks while 80% hardly get by.

There is no 5 year deal with Ocean World, however, I can confirm that they rent space at Ocean World under heavy restrictions/conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.