Web sites for finding job in the DR, please.

Aleksandra

Sep 13, 2005
Could someone post me some web site - ON ENGLISH, where is possible to find a job in DR, PLEASE !

Thanks

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are classified ads here on DR1.
Otherwise there are very few, and for CEOs etc. Maybe 2-3 of them.
Here work is found by networking, by contacts and by being here.

What type of work are you looking for?
Maybe then someone can give you some more directions.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Asking ON ENGLISH !! !!! suggests you can't read or speak Spanish - a definite impediment in looking for work where basically 100% of all the people speak Spanish. You could read a few of the 100's of posts about job seeking and the usually poverty level wages that accrue from them as well.

Aleksandra

Sep 13, 2005
carina said:
There are classified ads here on DR1.
Otherwise there are very few, and for CEOs etc. Maybe 2-3 of them.
Here work is found by networking, by contacts and by being here.

What type of work are you looking for?
Maybe then someone can give you some more directions.

First, thanks to all of you on your answers.
I am looking for any decent job in DR, for me and my hubby. I am a deskman in one small, european country you probablly have not herd for ~ Serbia, but I would work anything normal in DR. My hubby make a computer softwares. I am networking for a quite time, and I allready sow that things are not so simple. He is also a diving instructor, so we hoped he could find that kind of job, but it turned to be quite difficult too.
We have 11 yeares old daughter, and hers education is the most expensive thing in DR, so we should be very carefull about moving there.
"Ricktoronto" seems to be wright.
Anyway, DR is our dream, and we, at least, tryed to get there.
Thanks, again!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Another Dream

Without decent knowledge of Spanish (and mediocre English I dare add) you should reconsider your dream.
Your daughter should deserve better than to be drawn into this high risk-no fun-adventure.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Aleksandra said:
I am looking for any decent job in DR, for me and my hubby. I am a deskman in one small, european country you probablly have not herd for ~ Serbia, but I would work anything normal in DR. My hubby make a computer softwares. I am networking for a quite time, and I allready sow that things are not so simple. He is also a diving instructor, so we hoped he could find that kind of job, but it turned to be quite difficult too.
We have 11 yeares old daughter, and hers education is the most expensive thing in DR, so we should be very carefull about moving there.
Thanks, again!

You chances are about zero to get work here, and they are zero by applying from abroad. You can get work here, if you are here already, in tourism, bars etc. Most would be commissionbased with no fixed salary.
If a fixed salary comes in, it would be a local salary. Around 4000-5000 pesos.
You can not live on that.

The society here does not function in the way that you can search for work on the internet. You simply need to be here, network, follow up on one lead after another.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Aleksandra said:
Thanks, again!

Everyone with even a basic understanding of world affairs knows about Serbia and where it is. And the troubled past it has had, which is a shame.

The jobs are tough to find generally don't pay that well becuase there are so many people to work for a little money, and language skills are critical.

Aleksandra

Sep 13, 2005
Oh, well then, folks,
I'll probably give up,but just for now, and I'll change the way of realising my dream. The internet is not appropriate way for finding a job in DR,decidely . I'll have to come there on vacation, and than I'll see if my familly can find its place in DR. I'll probably have to wait for a lot to realize that plan, but it'll be worth of waiting, for sure !
May I ask someone of you to sand me some web where I could find more pictures of beautifull nature in DR ?
Thanks, once more, to all of you- I already feel like I am there, a little, when I'm talking to you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is from today's (Sunday's) paper

@set.gov.do you will find a "Bolas de Empleos, a sort of job board.

There areover 2,400 CVs on line , 64 companies listed and just 10 jobs available.

In order to find a job, not only should you look at what is offered by some of the companies in your chosen field, but also those companies that are not actively recruiting. For example, your husband is a dive instructor. Have you sent his curriculum vitae (CV) to all of the hotel chains that operate in the Dominican Republic? And do not send a "form letter" but, rather, make your e-mail more personal, more directed to each company. Hilton, Riu, Barcel? and other hotel chains have hotels here...

Your letter should be able to generate interest in you from the person who reads it.

However, after reading your posts, you do not have Spanish, and that is bad quite frankly.

Your English is passable. Do you have Italian, German, Russian, French? That could be attractive to possible employers, who have to deal with many of these nationals.

Good hunting,

HB :D:D

Aleksandra

Sep 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
@set.gov.do you will find a "Bolas de Empleos, a sort of job board.

There areover 2,400 CVs on line , 64 companies listed and just 10 jobs available.

In order to find a job, not only should you look at what is offered by some of the companies in your chosen field, but also those companies that are not actively recruiting. For example, your husband is a dive instructor. Have you sent his curriculum vitae (CV) to all of the hotel chains that operate in the Dominican Republic? And do not send a "form letter" but, rather, make your e-mail more personal, more directed to each company. Hilton, Riu, Barcel? and other hotel chains have hotels here...

Your letter should be able to generate interest in you from the person who reads it.

However, after reading your posts, you do not have Spanish, and that is bad quite frankly.

Your English is passable. Do you have Italian, German, Russian, French? That could be attractive to possible employers, who have to deal with many of these nationals.

Good hunting,

HB :D:D

Thanks, HB, for all the information you give me, and, also for a dose of optimism.
Yes, my hubby and I speak a little bit of french, and I use to lern German few years ago.However, we are not planing to move into DR without basic knowledge of Spanish.
We are not in hurry, so, I"ll try everything you told me!
If we succed, you'll be first who'll know !

Maria_bella

Oct 18, 2005
hey, this is to rick from toronto, i am also from toronto and im interested in how u came to the dominican, and if i understood correctly, ur in boca chika? I've been there, twice, its nice, id like to move to the DR soon, and just wanted to kno how ur doing and what ur doing there(work) and if u have any advice. That would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering either teaching english, or being a tour greeter for a hotel, maybe with a company based in Canada if i can , and maybe operate with the DR directly, i dont know yet, what do u think, anyhow Thnx. Maria. By the way, anyone else who knows anything and wants to reply is welcome to, and will be greatly appreciated.