Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archie

Sep 27, 2005
Hi All,

This is my first post. I have been to DR 4 times,most recently arriving home last week. I stay in Sosua but have travelled around quite a bit, as a friend of mine travels over frequently for business & pleasure, and I hook up with him. I probably should have this conversation with him,but he can be a little dismissive about this kind of thing. I am sure you may have discussed it before,so apologies in advance.

This trip really got to me in terms of the ladies. I know Sosua is a hotbed for tourists meeting local ladies for paid nights of passion. There seemed to be a lot of very young girls out and around which kinda made me feel bad for them. I know life can be hard and needs must,families to look after etc.Surely something must and can be done about this,this is not a good advert for sosua and more importantly it is not good for the girls.What is the story here? Are they managed by pimps or solo? Is that all Sosua is- a sex town!!
Does the government care?

I just wanted to get that of my chest, I am not niave,i have travelled all over the Islands,it just got to me a bit,and still is still getting to me.

No offence is meant to anyone,I just want to know the background.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I've spent 16 weeks over the past year in the DR, I use Sosua as a home base. In all of my time there I've never seen anyone that I thought was underage working the streets!

What's your point here?

Are you simply looking to stir the pot?

archie

Sep 27, 2005
sosua

No pot stirring, why bother!!
It was something I saw on quite a few occasions,I have no agenda, please belive that. It was on my mind and I wanted to just try and understand it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yes there is prostitition in Sosua, and yes its the only way some of these girls can make a decent wage. I am sure everybody is open to suggestions to solve this problem. Got any?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Whatever!!

Conchman said:
yes there is prostitition in Sosua, and yes its the only way some of these girls can make a decent wage. I am sure everybody is open to suggestions to solve this problem. Got any?
Good luck with trying to find ANY suggestions.

Sosua is what it is. And it has been just that for years.

They have tried to fight prostitution there, just like they have in Boca Chica and the other tourist destinations, and the same result came out: NOTHING.

People, why is it so hard to understand that there is only one thing that is needed in order for prostitutes to be "alive and well": PEOPLE WILLING TO USE THEIR SERVICES!!.

Let's not forget that tourists are not the only people using prostitutes in the DR, so are SOME Dominicans!!!!!. Foreigners are easier to "see" because SOME do it in the open, meanwhile most Dominicans do it "out of view". I point this out because alot of people have the tendency to think that foreighners are the only ones bedding hookers and that is not the case!.

But I do believe that Sosua was, is and will be a "hooker town" for a long time.

PLEASE: NOTE THE "SOME" (as in not all) statement that I wrote before SOME of you think that I was "talking" about EVERYBODY.

Ps: I am, in no way, shape or form defending prostitution or anybody that uses a prostitute. I like neither!!.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The times that I have been to Sosua I only felt sorry for one girl. I've told this story before so I will be brief. A 14 year old girl working in a bar; it was her first day of work when I meet her. She is gone the next day.
She quit because her boss strongly suggested that she sleep with whomever wanted to take her back to their hotel. We wind up striking a friendship-I meet the family and(YES) her then 7 month-old baby boy.

I felt bad for her(but also quite proud) because she made a very difficult choice that a 14 year old should not have to make. But she kept her dignity. Bravo for her.

As for those broads in Sosua, walk around and really look at their faces. However young they seem, they have eyes like sharks. Cold, dead and lacking any empathy whatsoever. Don't feel sorry for them, because many of them make this lifestyle choice because they would rather make easy money.

They spend the rest of their time going to the beauty salon, doing drugs and supporting some useless boyfriend who does'nt work. And they sit around trying to figure out how they can play their customers with phony tales of misery and woe. Or they cook up schemes to rob their customers.

I took an informal survey and have come to the conclusion that-(and I am using a girls' actual words here) if they could not turn tricks, they would rather not work. So don't feel sorry for them, just stay away from them.

Sep 19, 2005
rest assured that the high rate of AIDS in the DR isnt from Tourists deposits!!!!!!!!.it's from within. While it is sad that underage women are forced into this line of work because of the lack of jobs, and the fact that , social diseases run more rampant in places that are more poverty stricken. I have always views prostitution as a victimless crime. Go ahead and jump up and down. You will do a million things you thought could never be done before sex for money ever goes away. ...bob

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
archie said:
Hi All,

This trip really got to me in terms of the ladies. I know Sosua is a hotbed for tourists meeting local ladies for paid nights of passion. There seemed to be a lot of very young girls out and around which kinda made me feel bad for them. I know life can be hard and needs must,families to look after etc.Surely something must and can be done about this,this is not a good advert for sosua and more importantly it is not good for the girls.What is the story here? Are they managed by pimps or solo? Is that all Sosua is- a sex town!!
Does the government care?

How much did you donate to World Vision, the churches, or other NGO's when you were there to take care of them? Let me answer that - dick all. So really how you can criticize other people's lives when you can do but have not done anything about it.

Elmer Gantry would not be a good mayoral candidate in Sosua.

PS : Write to the Senators for Nevada and get those hookers (legal) out of Pahrump and Carson City as well - you see, hypocrisy doesn't go over well in other countries when your hands are dirty in yours.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
miguel said:
Let's not forget that tourists are not the only people using prostitutes in the DR, so are SOME Dominicans!!!!!.

Another way to say "some" is to use the words "most" or "all" in the case of Dominicans using paid ladies.

archie

Sep 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
How much did you donate to World Vision, the churches, or other NGO's when you were there to take care of them? Let me answer that - dick all. So really how you can criticize other people's lives when you can do but have not done anything about it.

Elmer Gantry would not be a good mayoral candidate in Sosua.

PS : Write to the Senators for Nevada and get those hookers (legal) out of Pahrump and Carson City as well - you see, hypocrisy doesn't go over well in other countries when your hands are dirty in yours.

What are you- some kind of C***!!

Dont judge me, you know nothing about what I and I do with my life or my money. I didnt critizise anybody,all I did was make a point about something that I saw,which isnt right anywhere accross the world.
Now rest yourself.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
rest assured that the high rate of AIDS in the DR isnt from Tourists deposits!!!!!!!!.it's from within.

So the AIDS virus originated in DR?

Of course it came from the outside at some point.

Sep 19, 2005
chris from NJ...do you just read parts of a post ?????? or do you ignore the words that dont fit....I did say the HIGH RATE of aids. aids didnt originate in america either did it????????? but what does that got to do with its spread???????? I guess its the tourist that visit those african countries with outrageous aids rates that are to blame.......huh, right before they take a trip to sunny DR.......man I work with a few guys JUST like you.........bob

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
archie said:
What are you- some kind of C***!!

Dont judge me, you know nothing about what I and I do with my life or my money. I didnt critizise anybody,all I did was make a point about something that I saw,which isnt right anywhere accross the world.
Now rest yourself.

Well, you seem to be judging them, you know nothing about them and you know nothing about what they do with their lives or their money. Mr. Pot, there's a call for you from Mr. Kettle, is that right?

So if you don't like it , as I suggested start by pointing fingers at where you live - you have legalized and evidently quite content prostitutes working in the USA in Nevada outside Clark County.

A note to your duly elected policticians that you find this so staggering would be a start to deal with a problem that is under your nose.

There has been a history of poor girls posts all more or less the same from people who can start with looking at the situation in their own backyard.

These girls (note - since sankies are the same type of people, men too) buy fancy clothes, cell phones, drugs and booze and have made a lifestyle choice that you don't agree with and then suppose the government is going to (or should) eliminate the worlds oldest profession. Well, it isn't. Nor do a great many want to be "helped" so they can then earn nothing, and raise their babies on that nothing.

And you do seem kind of naive (not niave). But not a C*** whatever that is supposed to be.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on!!

ricktoronto said:
Another way to say "some" is to use the words "most" or "all" in the case of Dominicans using paid ladies.
Man, don't start with that "ALL" bullshit!. Not ALL Dominicans use prostitutes. Maybe the ones that you know or hang around with. I know many, many Dominicans that do not. So stick to talking about the ones you know and not about everybody!.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
miguel said:
Man, don't start with that "ALL" bullshit!. Not ALL Dominicans use prostitutes. Maybe the ones that you know or hang around with. I know many, many Dominicans that do not. So stick to talking about the ones you know and not about everybody!.

Quite a few do, e.g. the point was that it is not mostly tourists it is mostly men tourists and locals both. Get rid of tourists looking for girls the problem will not disappear in other words. Everywhere- not the DR alone.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I see!!

ricktoronto said:
Quite a few do, e.g. the point was that it is not mostly tourists it is mostly men tourists and locals both. Get rid of tourists looking for girls the problem will not disappear in other words. Everywhere- not the DR alone.
Let me get this straight, on this, your post, you are saying just about the same thing that said on paragraph 5 on my post. I did said, if I am not mistaken, that not only foreigners use the services of prostitutes, that SOME Dominicans do, also. I am glad that we are on the same "page".

archie

Sep 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Well, you seem to be judging them, you know nothing about them and you know nothing about what they do with their lives or their money. Mr. Pot, there's a call for you from Mr. Kettle, is that right?

So if you don't like it , as I suggested start by pointing fingers at where you live - you have legalized and evidently quite content prostitutes working in the USA in Nevada outside Clark County.

A note to your duly elected policticians that you find this so staggering would be a start to deal with a problem that is under your nose.

There has been a history of poor girls posts all more or less the same from people who can start with looking at the situation in their own backyard.

These girls (note - since sankies are the same type of people, men too) buy fancy clothes, cell phones, drugs and booze and have made a lifestyle choice that you don't agree with and then suppose the government is going to (or should) eliminate the worlds oldest profession. Well, it isn't. Nor do a great many want to be "helped" so they can then earn nothing, and raise their babies on that nothing.

And you do seem kind of naive (not niave). But not a C*** whatever that is supposed to be.

You are a fool,now you presume i am from the USA,yet you bamg on about judging. You are truly a nonse!! A word we use where I come from for such as you.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
To the OP: consider this:
in their own poor neighbourhoods these young girls are nobody; in Sosua they feel important because "rich" tourists pay attention to them, buy them drinks, etc;
in their barrio there is strong social control, everyone knows everything about everyone; in Sosua these girls are free, on vacation: party all night, sleep till afternoon, beach, no worries;
in their barrio nothing ever happens, everyday is the same; in Sosua they are part of an exciting world full of entertainment and drama;
in their barrio they have no job, no money; in Sosua they earn a lot as a 'working girl', they can buy a fancy cellphone, nice clothes, everything a girl desires;
in their barrio they get molested by the local tigueres who try to bed as many girls as they can to prove their manhood; in Sosua the girls can choose the tourist they are going to have a one night stand with and they get paid for it with no further strings attached.

of course it's a very shortsighted vision they have, but my point is that for young, poor, highschool dropouts, which these girls are and most of them with a baby, Sosua is a very tempting place to go.
Bartolomeo

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
archie said:
You are a fool,now you presume i am from the USA,yet you bamg on about judging. You are truly a nonse!! A word we use where I come from for such as you.

You sound like an idiot. There is not one country without prostitution to some extent so wherever you are from, Bad-Spelling-Land so it seems, clean up your own backyard first.

Don't be so pompous and stand in judgement of a country that isn't yours. The problem , even if it is one, and some will not agree it is, is not yours to be pious about.

Sorry about bamg or bamging, whatever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.