hotel deposit/ banco de reserva

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
Hello! i'm not sure if this is the right area to post...
i need to make a deposit in Banco de Reserva for a stay in a hotel in Las Terrenas. I have the name, account #, but not sure if i can call to make a deposit or if my boyfriend (currently down there) has to go in person to do this. I'm not getting much help from the website, b/c i do not speak spanish. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
the lady who owns the inn, requested i deposit $$ in her account. i'm not sure if i can use a credit card to make a deposit. i haven't gotten very far in this situation :nervous:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If it's absolutely necessary that you do this, then you can do an international transfer, but for that she'd have to get you the bank's ABA#, etc. Or your boyfriend can do it. Banreservas has branches all over the country so it shouldn't be a problem.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
If it is a small hotel, some of them do ask for deposits, as it happens often that people book and then don?t show up.
If you have second thoughts, either do not pay and hope there is a room available upon arrival, or go to the travel section of this messageboard and ask for opinions of the hotel.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
It is do-able but

pumy said:
Hello! i'm not sure if this is the right area to post...
i need to make a deposit in Banco de Reserva for a stay in a hotel in Las Terrenas. I have the name, account #, but not sure if i can call to make a deposit or if my boyfriend (currently down there) has to go in person to do this. I'm not getting much help from the website, b/c i do not speak spanish. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

like the others I would be reluctant to do so. You would think that a hotel/business would have a better system in place.

But it is actually quite easy to deposit money into a bank account in the DR by using a service such as Envios Boy?. You actually pay the money through PayPal just as if you were making a purchase on eBay. You can pay by credit card or arrange to have the money taken directly from your bank account. It is not cheap (though cheaper than Western Union, etc) but is reliable. I've used this method many times to send money to my nieces and nephews in the DR.

The Boy? website is here: Envios Boy?

If you want more info, just PM or email me.

Swede

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
not out of the ordinary

Credit card services in this country (not the cards, but the pos services) have limitations that they might not have in your country of origin.

For example, to charge an Amex card in some locations (all?), you need to actually physically swipe the card -- you can't just punch in the numbers like you would in many countries. I'm assuming this is an anti-fraud measure.

You could always ask the resort if they have an account in the states to which you could transfer your funds. Many do.

Alternatively, you could western union the funds to either them or your boyfriend.

Enjoy your stay, by the way!

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Hotel Deposit

your Boyfriend can surely make the deposit for you. I was in the same situation my husband and I are planning to stay in a hotel down in Las Terenas in Decembter. they ask me to make a wire transfer to the owner of the hotel. I think you should call them first, speak to a person, get their name to make sure ist legit. My husband happend to go to D.R last month and was able to make the wire transfer from his bank to the hotel's account.

pumy

Sep 17, 2005
thanks!

i transfered the money with envios boya.. very easy indeed!! thanks for all your help! i think it was acutally easier for me to do it then my boyfriend, he has his hands full with peace corps duties. this forum is very helpfull.

leekirkpatrick

Mar 9, 2005
So, where's everyone staying in Las Terenas? I'm thinking about visiting the second week of October and I'm interested in knowing a decent hotel to stay in.

Thanks

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Terenas.hotel

leekirkpatrick said:
So, where's everyone staying in Las Terenas? I'm thinking about visiting the second week of October and I'm interested in knowing a decent hotel to stay in.

Thanks

You can check out this site www.samana.net.
it has a good listings of places to stay. Me peronally I am staying at the oasis Hotel. they have their website and the place looks like a paradise

bonao1969

May 8, 2004
This is a little of the mark, but when you were talking about transfering money to the DR, I have a great way. I have a savings account here in the states at my credit union. I go on line, transfer money into it and my family can get it out of a Banco Popular ATM for a $1.25 service fee. It is limited to three withdrawls a month and they get RD4000 every 24 hours. Over three withdrawls a month and they charge a little more. Best thing is, I control the account from here. Some banks may do things a little different. I have withdrawn from Banco Popular ATMs in Colombia, The DR and Costa Rica all for the same $1.25. service charge.