Advertising in DR - need basic info please

dwntwn

Sep 8, 2005
Hello,

I travel to DR on business (more manufacturing), but am also attending the university for my MBA. I need some basic information on DR adversting Do's and Don'ts for one of my classes.

If you have a moment, and an opinion, please respond with what you believe are the three biggest do's and don'ts for advertising in DR.

Examples:
Do not make fun of women in the ads
Do position the product in the ad as something people would have fun with.
Don't use a specific color (it has a negative impression)

I am looking for the cultural taboos so to speak.

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. If there are any good sites that would help I would appreciate it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
?

Maybe you could give an example of the type of product and a target demographic and then maybe you would get some reasonably meaningful responses...

Your question as stated is way too broad otherwise.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hehe...

The do?s:
Hire a mini pickup, Put 4 old, preferable broken, speakers on.
Put a tape in the recorder with the message, quite plain, like " Big sale at store XXXX. Add things people won?t remember anyway, like phone, email or something...
Then before the voice is done, better all the time, add in the backround, but loud, a popular song like Juan Luis Guerra, Daddy Yankee ...
Let the pickup drive around town.

That is the Puerto Plata way for small and big shops, cine, concerts etc etc.. ;)

dwntwn

Sep 8, 2005
Maybe you could give an example of the type of product and a target demographic and t

I have seen the pickup's - That is a good way to do it :)

Seriously - the question was meant to be broad. The goal is to give a high level view of some common cultural issues that someone must be aware if they were to advertise in DR.

Example - even though in DR most people are mixed race background, most of the ladies in the ads still have a light complexion.
--Is this because that is the look everyone strives for? Or is it because there is an underlying bias that lighter skin is considered more attractive?

It doesn't have to be this "deep" but there are bound to be examples of what not to do in an ad.

dwntwn-

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
dwntwn said:
I have seen the pickup's - That is a good way to do it :)

Example - even though in DR most people are mixed race background, most of the ladies in the ads still have a light complexion.
--Is this because that is the look everyone strives for? Or is it because there is an underlying bias that lighter skin is considered more attractive?

dwntwn-

I have noticed that too, but a big reason for it is that that ad appearances are coveted by actors and models, as much politicking goes into the selection as anything else, and the top actors and models in the country are often children of the cultural elite, who are old money European families, and so of course lighter skinned.

But I still think your question is too broad.

For instance if the target demographic is the single male, then it would be not only permissible but almost expected to objectify women in your ad.

If it's a housewife then you would stay away from this, obviously.