Moving to Cabarete - PLEASE HELP?

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Hi there..
I'm a single 32 yr old male.. I currently live in London, Ontaio, Canada.. (decent sized city population of 336,500) and I cannot stand the cold winter months here anymore..

I'm about to give up my fulltime computer job here to move to Cabarete and live life to it's fullet in paradise.

Can someone please hook me up with a very trusting, dependable person that knows the in's and out's in Cabarete DR.

I want to know about living there.. getting a good job there.. buying good healthy food there.. keeping active and fit.. Meeting people.. and fitting in..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

Chad
cshine73@hotmail.com

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hi Chad

Try typing 'Cabarete' into the seach box and reading every post that comes up as a result. If you have specific questions after that I'm sure some of us will be able to help. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself before making the move - and do it slowly.

Stay well,
Amy

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Talk to me Amy

Amy. how are ya.. thanks for the quick reply..
I would love to chat to you?? do you live in Cabarete?
Do you use msn messenger to chat??
I have a problem.. I don't have alot of time... I need
to pack my things soon.. and start making plans..

I would love to chat/msn to you?
Thanks for your time.. and advice..

Chad

amy2761 said:
Hi Chad

Try typing 'Cabarete' into the seach box and reading every post that comes up as a result. If you have specific questions after that I'm sure some of us will be able to help. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself before making the move - and do it slowly.

Stay well,
Amy

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
cshine73 said:
Hi there..
I'm a single 32 yr old male.. I currently live in London, Ontaio, Canada.. (decent sized city population of 336,500) and I cannot stand the cold winter months here anymore..

I'm about to give up my fulltime computer job here to move to Cabarete and live life to it's fullet in paradise.

Can someone please hook me up with a very trusting, dependable person that knows the in's and out's in Cabarete DR.

I want to know about living there.. getting a good job there.. buying good healthy food there.. keeping active and fit.. Meeting people.. and fitting in..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

Chad
cshine73@hotmail.com

Cabarete = paradise, I don't think so.
one street town full of hookers and overpriced everything. The only thing underpriced is what they give you for your Cdn$/Us$ and Euros.

Finding a good job? Are you a Dominican resident? What do you do?
How much money are you bringing into the country?

Cabarete = surfers paradise period....

Good luck!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
cshine73 said:
Amy. how are ya.. thanks for the quick reply..
I would love to chat to you?? do you live in Cabarete?
Do you use msn messenger to chat??

I would love to chat/msn to you?
Thanks for your time.. and advice..

Chad

If you did the search then you would know that I've lived here for three years (two of them in Cabarete). It takes up a lot of time replying to questions asked a million times, that's why the search option is a good one - you'll find a lot of info about things you haven't even thought of yet as well. I use yahoo messenger (and this is noted in my profile).

For a move like the one you're describing the worst thing you can do is to do it quickly. Take your time and find out what it is that you're getting into.

Stay well,
Amy

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Gotta leave Dodge City PDQ

cshine73 said:
Chad
Looks like the sheriff is closing in on this one. All advice so far is to take it slow but, your haste leads one to believe that your motives are more than just moving to live life to its fullest in Cabarete .... maybe running away from something.

Perhaps, if you post the real reason, you may get the right advice. :confused:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe he just got an amazing price on off-season airfare!! I wish I could go too!

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
My situation changes how life in Cabarete Is?

OK.. I'm taking a bit of offense to your reply..
No. not a criminal.. Cops don't want me...

Why would you say these things?? You don't even know me?? But.. regardless.. tell me.. why would my reasons for leaving Ontario change your advice or knowledge of your experiences in Cabarete?? Doesn't sound like you are the one to give me the honest answers to tell you the truth..

I came on here.. and I only asked people to let me in on what it's like to live in Cabarete.. Can you handle this without knowing why I chose Cabarete.

Everything in my current situation here in Ontario is settled and lucky me..
Im able to leave Ontario for a while and check out a new place.....

I'm ready to try something new...
My lease on my car is up..
My insurance to my car is up..
I just moved and my belongings safely in storage..
No more rent/mortgage..
No children..
No girlfriend...
I have Money in the bank..
I have a great job..
I have lots of education and experience.
I'm young...???

Should I go on.. ?? or can you maybe just let me know what life is like on a day to day basis there... What major changes should I expect or look forward to.. or look out for..

How come soo many people are putting the idea down.. saying Cabarete is a whore infested dive to live in.. ?? is it really that bad?

Bella Dama

Dec 11, 2004
welcome

[God Bless you! I waited until I was in my err 40's to make the move, however I am still not fortunate enough to live here fulltime. It is a wonderful place, it's what you make of it! Jobs however are not in the high paying department. Be creative and make your own business. There are a lot of persons from North America , like myself, who are used to a standard of doing things. If you could do a service for those folks, I know you would do well. Just remember even nirvana has its pitfalls, and I say that with love for this country. Prices are high, electric is sparatic, the languge is foreign, but you just can't beat the view! Best of luck to you.

Bella Dama

Dec 11, 2004
last note

Another note..... you said you were bringing your things....I hope you mean clothes, tooth brush, toiletries you like. Things can be scarce here, meaning certain name brand products. I have learned the hard way, in regards to furniture and cars... buy it here, sell it here!

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
A friend of mine has family there..they own houses and condo's etc.. and she lives there sometimes for 6 months out of the year.. and returns to Toronto Ontario. She knows what kinda person I am.. I'm a bit of a beach bum.. surfer boy.. love the sun.. love the heat.. very athletic.. and easy to get along with and a hard worker..

I've been in the IT/IS proffessoin for about 10 years.. computers/internet/network/hardware/software etc etc etc etc etc..

I'm sorry.. but the big smoke.. polluted air.. traffic jams.. concrete village.. Over populated..etc etc.. is not for me.. London is much smaller than Toronto..but.. But I've been here for 32 years.. I have a window in my life where things have all come to an end.. and I can get out now..

You don't like Cabarete ? Do you suggest something elts?

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Jobs

I can be creative.. I can open my own business... sure.. I can do lots of things.. I'm great with my hands.. construction.. electrical.. plumbing.. framing.. you name it.. I also have been in the IT/IS field (computers/networking/internet /hardware software etc etc) for over 10 years... How easily could I find work in DR or in Cabarete?

Thanks for your input.
Chad

Bella Dama said:
[God Bless you! I waited until I was in my err 40's to make the move, however I am still not fortunate enough to live here fulltime. It is a wonderful place, it's what you make of it! Jobs however are not in the high paying department. Be creative and make your own business. There are a lot of persons from North America , like myself, who are used to a standard of doing things. If you could do a service for those folks, I know you would do well. Just remember even nirvana has its pitfalls, and I say that with love for this country. Prices are high, electric is sparatic, the languge is foreign, but you just can't beat the view! Best of luck to you.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Honest answers to honest questions

cshine73 said:

Why would you say these things?? You don't even know me?? But.. regardless.. tell me.. why would my reasons for leaving Ontario change your advice or knowledge of your experiences in Cabarete?? Doesn't sound like you are the one to give me the honest answers to tell you the truth..
Your previous post implied that you wanted to get away PDQ. However, as many replies indicated, moving to the DR is challenging for many and requires time and patience - you shouldn't ignore that advice since it's coming from people with real experience.

There are many places where you can settle in the DR but, you have to select the one that suits you - time and patience are required for you to investigate and decide.

Good luck to you.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI there, I live and work in Puerto Plata, like you originally from Canada.

It seems to me that you will be able to find work. HOwever, it will not pay anything near what you are used to. Send me an email or PM and I can intro you to some people in the computer field.

For someone like you, active, surfer, beach type, Cabarete is probably perfect. And if you don't like it you can always move.

Living here is not what you are used to at all. Have you even visited here??? That will tell us a lot, we can then give you more information. Again, search the site for specific info you are looking for.'

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
cshine73 said:

Why would you say these things?? You don't even know me?? But..
Welcome to DR1.

Unfortunately, some users would rather slam newbies than offer them advise.
cshine73 said:
How come soo many people are putting the idea down.. saying Cabarete is a whore infested dive to live in.. ?? is it really that bad?
Have you ever been to Cabarete? Have you ever been to the Dominican Republic? While it's a great place for a vacation, it's far from paradise to live there. Like Amy2761 said, research the board and them come back with some questions.

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Bring Things

Hey there. Y

a.. bring my things.. pack my personals.. Some clothes.. toiletries.. sun glasses... sun block....sporting goods (football baseball basketball tennis).. laptop etc etc..

I'm not planning on a permanent move..
Just to get out of Ontario for a change cuz I can right now.. and try something new..

All my belongings are in storage and being taken care of for my return..

I don't want to go DR or Cabarete to party hard.. I want to work.. have an income and some savings... and enjoy my environment and people around me.. I love the outdoors.. the heat and the beach.. I enjoy good healthy food.. and a slower paced life..

Why are soo many people being soo nasty with the idea of me moving there??
What is DR (or Cabarete) hiding? Why do you all speak so negitively about it there yet... you all live there or want to live there? People are contradicting
themselves.. They are there cuz it's soo beautiful etc.. then.. when giveing advice to people that are considering moving there.... They tell you the opposite.. and how you would not enjoy life there...

I don't get it.. I'm very confused..
Someone please help ? I have 2 or 3 weeks to find out where to go.. and where not to go.. I just want to hear from someone that was in a similar living situation to me.. that has made the decision to move there.. and they can tell me the up's and down's of the DR living..

I have alot to give back to the business, government and to the people there.. I would be a huuuuge asset anywhere I went I assure you.. I have some Medical Related Background .... Psych/Soc/Philosopy education background.. and Industrial Engineering Education background.

Thanks for your input..
Chad

Bella Dama said:
Another note..... you said you were bringing your things....I hope you mean clothes, tooth brush, toiletries you like. Things can be scarce here, meaning certain name brand products. I have learned the hard way, in regards to furniture and cars... buy it here, sell it here!

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Why are you giving such a bad review of DR or.. Cabarete??
Do you live there?? What do you do? How/Why did you develop such a negitive impression of Cabarete?

How long have you been there for?

Thanks for your opinions.
Chad

palmiche said:
Cabarete = paradise, I don't think so.
one street town full of hookers and overpriced everything. The only thing underpriced is what they give you for your Cdn$/Us$ and Euros.

Finding a good job? Are you a Dominican resident? What do you do?
How much money are you bringing into the country?

Cabarete = surfers paradise period....

Good luck!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cshine73 said:

Why would you say these things?? You don't even know me?? But.. regardless.. tell me.. why would my reasons for leaving Ontario change your advice or knowledge of your experiences in Cabarete??

Simple. Because we see many people running away from their own circumstances to a 'better' life on an island in the Caribbean. If you are not strong, able to adjust to a very different structure, have some money in the bank and if you are running away from something, your chances of success are very limited. We see this frequently - and not only on this island.

If you want to make a change and can survive and land on your feet, this is a good place to come to - but do not put your heart on Cabarete only. Do some exploration.

Cabarete is my second favorite town in the world. It is a watersport town, it is small, it is made up of great beach, a few tourist stores, three or so very small supermarkets, lots of tourist restaurants and touristy excursion places, a few rental cars, some hotels and that is about it. Computers and systems are mainly in the hotels (and the market is saturated) and some point of sale systems. The town exists on tourist money. If the tourists are few, no-one local has money.. restaurants, hotels etc etc.

Nevertheless it is a vibrant little place just very different from anywhere else.

I would say go and live there for a few months while you find your feet. Learn the language, perhaps work in a bar or restaurant and figure out whether you can survive here.

If you are running away from something in your current country, be sure that the members of this board will probably not help you and that you'll be miserable.

If you're trying to make a change for yourself, it is possible but greatly different to live here. Just a few things.. power, we have little and the most expensive in the world. Try running computers on anything from 80 to 110 to 220 volts, as the force leads the power company that specific day. Figure on no power, no water - most water here is driven by some kind of electrical water pump.

If you want to learn about this place in a sensible way.. take a few months of, bring clothes, visit places like Rocky's in Sosua, meet some locals, learn some things and then, and only then make a decision to move. Meet the crowd in the Capitol, meet the Santiago citizens, meet the Puerto Plata 'Platanos'.., make friends, learn the language and after three months or so, try finding a job. What I'm saying is first find your feet and then find a job.

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
time and patience are required

Hey there.. thanks for the input.
I recently have shut off most my bills.. (rent/cable/phone/cell phone/internet/car insurance/car lease etc etc etc.) I'm ready for a change..
And.. I will start dipping into too much savings if I choose to stay in Ontario for more than 3 weeks.. I do not want to sign an apt leases.. or car lease.. ect... I just want somewhere new and different.... I am NOT ok with living in poverty with rats and bugs and starving people dying on my doorstep.. I have been to DR a couple times.. stayed on a resort.. and went to town... etc.. it is No Toronto or London.. I understand you.. but.. I did not experience any more starving rotting low life scum bags living on the streets in DR than there are people living in the streets in poverty or less in Toronto.

It's not like I'm running from anything.. I've been in concrete villiage all my life.. I've been in the IT/IS field for 10 years.. I sit in an office behind a computer monitor 15 hours a day... I want to get out of here. and unplug.. go somewhere low key.. hot.. beach.. sun surf and safe!!!

Why is it such a huuuge deal to move somewhere and have a different life for a year or so? Why does it take soo long to weigh out the thought of moving temporarily to DR ?? What are you people hiding?? What do you know about DR that you are not typing on this screen... ?? People more less say.. It's beautiful here.. we love it.. but.. Nooo!! don't come.. stay away.. it sucks here.. etc etc etc.. ???

I'm very confused..
Chad

shadInToronto said:
Your previous post implied that you wanted to get away PDQ. However, as many replies indicated, moving to the DR is challenging for many and requires time and patience - you shouldn't ignore that advice since it's coming from people with real experience.

There are many places where you can settle in the DR but, you have to select the one that suits you - time and patience are required for you to investigate and decide.

Good luck to you.