Divorce question

mami

Mar 16, 2004
I have a Dominincan girlfriend who would like to divorce her Dominican husband. They are seperated he lives in the Dominican Republic. They are both U.S. citizens. She wants to know how she can get a divorce without having to go to the D.R.?
(i searched to see if this has been asked before but didn't find anything)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
mami if he is in agreement to the divorce he can do it since he is there already

http://dr1.com/legal/family/fastdivorce.shtml

At least one of the spouses needs to travel to Santo Domingo. Although the procedure is available in other cities only courts in Santo Domingo have the mechanism in place to issue the divorce decree without delay.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
thank u

Anna Coniglio said:
mami if he is in agreement to the divorce he can do it since he is there already

http://dr1.com/legal/family/fastdivorce.shtml

At least one of the spouses needs to travel to Santo Domingo. Although the procedure is available in other cities only courts in Santo Domingo have the mechanism in place to issue the divorce decree without delay.

so it cannot be done with her going to the Dominican consulate here? so wait a minute i just read that website you provided if her husband contests the divorce... no divorce is granted? they both have to agree?

Last edited:

asterix

Jun 22, 2005
Yes, they will both have to agree in order to obtain the divorce under the special provisions of law 136-bis. In case she obtains her husband's consent on this, she would have to sign the power of attorney in her nearest Dominican consulate and send it to her husband so he will come down to the divorce hearing. If the consent is not obtained she would have to come down to the DR and file a regular divorce lawsuit against her husband. ( Not a problem if he does not want to appear in court, or suddenly disappears he would be served at the DA's due to unknown domicile. This process unlike the 1 day divorce, could take up to 4-6 months to finalize.