Gaignard family

J

JANE

I am going research into my family genealogy, and it appears as though my great-great-great grandfather came to the United States from Santo Domingo. His name was Louis Gaignard. I am wondering whether there are any Gaignards in the Dominican Republic today who might be distant cousins. Thank you. Jane

S

Segolene

Hi Jane,

I don't know about any Gaignard still present in DR, but if so, and if you want to know where their (and possibly your) ancestors come from, before arriving in DR, here is a web page with the address of the General Secretary of the Dominican Genealogic Institute. Good luck

S?gol?ne

S

Segolene

Sorry Jane,

The address didn't stay, here it is (by the way, Gaignard sounds like a french name ;o))

S?gol?ne

P

P.T.

Folks, if the name is French, could it be possible the gent was Haitian and immigrated to the U.S. by the way of Santo Domingo? This could account for no record of the name in the R.D.

Regards, PJT

P

Pascal Yhuello

If we are really looking at a great-great-great grand father , I would guess there was no Dominican Republic nor Haiti at that time geographically and politically speaking , it was just one island presumably Hispaniola. France has been running the today's part of the DR was it in the 1780,s ? , i am not too sure but we were there :)) Pascal