Apartment Hunting

BluKris

May 19, 2005
Hello everyone again,

I've been looking through the classifies on DR1 and my fianc?e been looking all around Sosua for an apartment, but all are full.I'm looking for something under 5000RD and i think I?m just gonna have to expand my search to Puerto Plata.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
BluKris said:
Hello everyone again,

I've been looking through the classifies on DR1 and my fianc?e been looking all around Sosua for an apartment, but all are full.I'm looking for something under 5000RD and i think I?m just gonna have to expand my search to Puerto Plata.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, are you looking for a long term residencial apartment or short term for a visit?

BluKris

May 19, 2005
Long term......Carina i'd love yor help, you seem to have a lot of knowledge to dish out.I've read a lot of your blogs which can be very informative or for me a stroll down through memory lane.
Thanks in advance.

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Bella Vista

Try Bella Vista apartments on calle Ayuntamiento. The owner is from England and his name is Chris Baylis and there is his email adress: chrisb@dominicanestateagents.co.uk
I rented and apartment for 220$US a month from April to July, fully furnished, invertor, pool, and you can walk everything.

Good luck,
Mel

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Well, a budget like below 5000 RDS a month, will leave you to the residencial apartments in town.
They are never advertised, only spread by word of mouth, and the only way to find them is to walk around in the city, ask people who live around an area that you like etc etc.

You might want to stay away from the Camino Real area, as well as the beginning of Malecon.

Center of downtown have apartments in this price range, so does the end of the Malecon towards the center.
The first entrance of Torre Alta have nice studios and 1 bedroom apartments in this pricerange.

You can also find apartments around 5000 pesos in the Marapica area ( behind the coca cola factory ), but then you will need transportation.

The best way is to walk around, ask, check and ask again.

BluKris

May 19, 2005
Thanks for your help

I've heard Bella Vista is just that-Beautiful View, but like Carina pointed out a bit out of range "on a budget".:cry:
I had a friend who lived by/in Marapica, but how long is the distance really from the main street?There are no motoconchos that go in or out?
Torre Alta is in Puerto Plata?Around where?
Are any of thte recommendations furnished?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
BluKris said:
I've heard Bella Vista is just that-Beautiful View, but like Carina pointed out a bit out of range "on a budget".:cry:
I had a friend who lived by/in Marapica, but how long is the distance really from the main street?There are no motoconchos that go in or out?
Torre Alta is in Puerto Plata?Around where?
Are any of thte recommendations furnished?

Bella Vista is up, up, up and to the right of Torre Alta.
Torre Alta is a neighbourhood with mostly villas, but also apartments.

Marapica, depends on where in Marapica, but the part close to the main street is not bad. Mix of locals and expats, motoconchos not difficult at all daytime to/from, from can be difficult nighttime ( but from the main road no problems ).
You will get nothing for under 5000 RDS a month that is furnished, if you want to live in the city.
Then you have to think more in terms 6000-7000 pesos at least.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
OK... As the OP was asking for Puerto Plata, I thought you meant Bella Vista in POP. It is an area here in POP, as in most cities in DR, that is called that.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
5000 Pesos?

An apartment for 5000 pesos a month? At the present exchange rate, that is about $166.00 US. I do not think that you will be able to find any apartments for that amount. Somebody correct me if I am wrong!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
LatinoRican said:
An apartment for 5000 pesos a month? At the present exchange rate, that is about $166.00 US. I do not think that you will be able to find any apartments for that amount. Somebody correct me if I am wrong!

You are wrong.;)
There are several apartments for that in Puerto Plata.
I have a friend who rents a whole house for 4500/ month.
My house, where I live, is 5000 pesos a month.
Another friend have really nice apartment by the firestation, oceanview, huge galleria. She pays 4000/month.

Of course this is local, residencial rental rates. Not touristic.
There are newly built apartments for example in Torre Alta, rent around 6000 pesos a month.
There are those who raise rent because they are in areas for example where they are connected to the planta close to Playa Dorada and have 24h electricity.
This is not fair raises though. They might raise the rent with 7-10.000 a month because of that. An inversor is from 20.000 an up, so do your maths..

Local residencial rents are not higher than around 5-6000/month.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Addition:

You get the whole Casa Loma, with area and fruit trees, in POP for 300 US/month.. That house is bigger than the Amber Museum...
An apartment rent is way lower than that.

BluKris

May 19, 2005
You guys are great.

I've been lucky enough to locate a two bedroom apartment in Sosua(about 5 mins. away from el Batey) for only $4400RD.I just wanted to advise all those other looking around....don't give up.There is plenty out there, you just have to ask around alot.;)