Patriot or expatriot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
Have been watching this forum for some time, as well as several others related to the caribbean, as I enjoy travel to island destinations.
It seems that this forum compared to most others is more a "posting board" for expats on the north coast rather than an information board for travelers......which brings me to my initial question. What is patiotic about an expat if they left their own country to move someplace else? Fill me in, I don't get it. it seems that most countries do not like others coming into their turf setting up shop with no papers of resendency, ie: the Cubans and Miami, Mexicans and Texas or California. Don't the Dominican people care if you take jobs away from the local people, other than the street vendors and prostitutes ofcoarse?
Seems like ever since the banana and tobacco export takeover by european countries in the 60's, people from all over the world have moved in, and taken a large part of the north coast over. I noticed this on my last 2 visits to the north, where most of the other parts of the country have a more Dominican "feel" and the presence of expats seems more unnoticed.
And lastly, no offense to the "boardies"of the north......I expect to be attacked, from what other posts ie:"Sosua" I have seen...LOL

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, what a leap you have made.

People who are citizens of one country but live in another are expatriates.

This has nothing to do with patriotism. For example, I am an expatriate because I live in the DR, but I consider myself a very patriotic American.

If this board has more expats than the other boards, it is probably one of the reasons this board is ranked #1 among English language boards on the DR.

This board offers far more than a place to post trip reports, and it serves far more than travelers. Among the posters are also many who are contemplating a move to the DR or the purchase of real estate as a second home in the DR, as well as many who live here and looking for information or help. Because of the diversity among the users, there is no better source of information or help on the DR if you speak English.

You may well be attacked for your post, but if so, it will most likely be because you made unfounded assumptions and because there isn't much logic or cohesion in your post. Assuming yours is a real post, and you are not another sock puppet, I suggest you sharpen up your posting skills a bit before attempting post #2.

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
Ken said:

This has nothing to do with patriotism. For example, I am an expatriate because I live in the DR, but I consider myself a very patriotic American.

If this board has more expats than the other boards, it is probably one of the reasons this board is ranked #1 among English language boards on the DR.

This board offers far more than a place to post trip reports, and it serves far more than travelers. Among the posters are also many who are contemplating a move to the DR or the purchase of real estate as a second home in the DR, as well as many who live here and looking for information or help. Because of the diversity among the users, there is no better source of information or help on the DR if you speak English.

You may well be attacked for your post, but if so, it will most likely be because you made unfounded assumptions and because there isn't much logic or cohesion in your post. Assuming yours is a real post, and you are not another sock puppet, I suggest you sharpen up your posting skills a bit before attempting post #2.
Sorry if I rained on your parade Ken, I guess I just find most of the posts or posters humorous, I enjoy a good Saturday night (or any other) at the fights. Just trying to justify in my mind why so many "expats" consider themselves patiotic leaving their country and end up in Sosua and Cabarette which are noted for their high rates of crime, and child prostitution, and lacking tourism because of it. Go figure.
No offense but I have traveled and seen all of the country, and Sosua and Boca are on the bottom of my list.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Little Latin Lesson...

The word expat is an abbreviation of expatriate which is derived from the Latin "ex patria" which means out of the home country. The word expat has NOTHING to do with patriotism - it is simply a term used to describe a person from one country who, for whatever reason, lives in another country.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
La Profe_1 said:
The word expat is an abbreviation of expatriate which is derived from the Latin "ex patria" which means out of the home country. The word expat has NOTHING to do with patriotism - it is simply a term used to describe a person from one country who, for whatever reason, lives in another country.

I am proud to be an American and happy to be living in the DR. Patriotism is not defined by location. I enjoy learning about other countries, cultures and languages.

Try it...you may like it!

Scandall
A Proud American Who Loves The DR

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
La Profe_1 said:

Well, of course not only expatriate, but also patriot stems from 'patria', 'fatherland', and both in the end originate from 'pater', 'father'. But you're right, in their contemporary menaing they have nothing to do with eachother; you can be a patriot of your country regardless of where you live. I don't see what the OP was trying to say by stating "What is patiotic about an expat", and then talking about expatriates being not welcome in or helpful for the country they live in. What patriotism are you reffering to? As far as I know one can love his or her country of origin and the new country of residence both at the same time, or one more than the other. What exactly are you trying to attack?
By the way, I find DR1 to still be very good for travelling information, especially if you want to venture out of the AI-territories, not just an expat forum.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Scandall said:
I am proud to be an American and happy to be living in the DR. Patriotism is not defined by location. I enjoy learning about other countries, cultures and languages.

Try it...you may like it!

Scandall
A Proud American Who Loves The DR

Re: "Try it...you may like it!"

I am a citizen of the US, born there, former US Navy and I have lived in Puerto Plata for four years!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
partytime said:
Sorry if I rained on your parade Ken, I guess I just find most of the posts or posters humorous, I enjoy a good Saturday night (or any other) at the fights. Just trying to justify in my mind why so many "expats" consider themselves patiotic leaving their country and end up in Sosua and Cabarette which are noted for their high rates of crime, and child prostitution, and lacking tourism because of it. Go figure.
No offense but I have traveled and seen all of the country, and Sosua and Boca are on the bottom of my list.
Now I'm a bit curious here.
After Ken Taking the time to explain to you the difference between ex-patriots & expatriates, you go on about it some more.
Then in the "Sosua" thread, you post...
partytime said:
I'm not saying it's a den of sin
contradicting what you are posting here.
The last poster I saw on this board who contradicted himself that much and never bothered to listen, was ggn.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Ken said:

you're right on about the meaning of the word expatriate...just because a person chooses to move to another country to live at some point in his or her lifetime...does not mean that you disown your country of origin. escotts blog uses the word..expatriot...he's a american..and i'm sure very proud of that fact ..a typo as far as i'm concerned.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
partytime said:

"Rained on my parade". What are you talking about? You displayed ignorance about the difference between an expatriate and a patriot, and I was just trying to help you out so that you wouldn't make a fool out of yourself again.

What do Sosua and "Boca" have to do with it? There are expatriates living in most places in the DR, and in most countries of the world. If you have something to say about Sosua, there is a thread running on that subject right now.

I like a good fight, too. But not when the competition is so obviously over his head.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
La Profe_1 said:

I am a citizen of the US, born there, former US Navy and I have lived in Puerto Plata for four years!

That's nice to know. But I wasn't directing it to you specifically.

I'm former Army and have lived in the Capital for three.

Scandall

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
Ken said:
"Rained on my parade". What are you talking about? You displayed ignorance about the difference between an expatriate and a patriot, and I was just trying to help you out so that you wouldn't make a fool out of yourself again.

What do Sosua and "Boca" have to do with it? There are expatriates living in most places in the DR, and in most countries of the world. If you have something to say about Sosua, there is a thread running on that subject right now.

I like a good fight, too. But not when the competition is so obviously over his head.
I guess I was trying to be nice, ignorance? That was my purpose, to learn what the difference of the two were by asking the questions I did. If you read my posts, you would have noticed that I did mention that in my travels in the country I have seen expats in all other parts, but not as dominant as the north, mostly Sosua, and Boca Chica? comes to mind when I think of Sosua.....both are in the same trashy catagory, just couldn't understand why with all the areas in the DR to relocate, one would pick the north. And if you looked at the Sosua thread, I did exactly that.
Thanks for your thoughts...

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
La Profe_1 said:

I don't understand....Navy? What's your point?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
partytime said:
I guess I was trying to be nice, ignorance? That was my purpose, to learn what the difference of the two were by asking the questions I did.

Actually I think you had no idea what an expatriate meant, assumed it was do to with patriotism and somehow have morphed that into that you wanted to learn the difference when you didn't know there was one to begin with. I am sure your contribution to that stupid Sosua prostitution post was valuable too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
Actually I think you had no idea what an expatriate meant, assumed it was do to with patriotism and somehow have morphed that into that you wanted to learn the difference when you didn't know there was one to begin with. I am sure your contribution to that stupid Sosua prostitution post was valuable too.

Well said.

partytime

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 29, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Ya, somethin like that, I was asking if one were related to the other,but actually I got the answer from another poster.....stupid Sosua prostitution post, so true, like some of the posters, they belong to one another. Trash atracks trash.
And basically Rick, I don't care what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.