Diesel vehicles in DR

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
Hello to all,

As usual comming to this board for useful advice. I am currently deciding on the vehicle I need to purchase to later import into DR. Under serious consideration are the new 2006 RAV4 (4 cyl) or the new 2006 VW Jetta TDI (turbo diesel 1.9L 40MPG).

My main concern with the VW is that maybe USA has high(er) standard for cleaner diesel than DR. I am concerned the vehicle would not perform well if at all. Any real world input would be great.

Thanks

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There are literally hundreds of thousands of cars operating on diesel here. I don't see them having any special problems. However, you might end up having problems to obtain parts for any non-Japanese car here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do You Know The "Official" Import Duty On The Cars You Want To Import?

AND,do you know the "Un-Official" costs that may be involved.Is your "Garantee" from the USA dealer/compaany "good" here? I doubt it.dO YOU KNOW THE COST OF BUYING THE SAME VEHICLE HERE? i THINK YOU MUST HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SOMEONE ,WHO DOESN'T KNOW,THAT YOU WILL SAVE "tHOUSANDS" OF DOLLARES BY BUYING THE CAR IN THE USA,AND SHIPPING IT TO THE DR.Oh!,DO YOU KNOW THE SHIPPING COSTS? DO YOU HAVE A "SHIPPING" AGENT SELECTED?(Sorry About Those "CAPS",but I'm not doing them over!)
You have not done your "homework" on all the "Ups & Downs" of what you are planning to do."Importing Vehicles to the DR" has dozens of "THREADS",and hundreds of "POSTS" on DR1.
Planning to bring in all your household goods as well? Same story goes for that!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
Criss Colon said:
AND,do you know the "Un-Official" costs that may be involved.Is your "Garantee" from the USA dealer/compaany "good" here? I doubt it.dO YOU KNOW THE COST OF BUYING THE SAME VEHICLE HERE? i THINK YOU MUST HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SOMEONE ,WHO DOESN'T KNOW,THAT YOU WILL SAVE "tHOUSANDS" OF DOLLARES BY BUYING THE CAR IN THE USA,AND SHIPPING IT TO THE DR.Oh!,DO YOU KNOW THE SHIPPING COSTS? DO YOU HAVE A "SHIPPING" AGENT SELECTED?(Sorry About Those "CAPS",but I'm not doing them over!)
You have not done your "homework" on all the "Ups & Downs" of what you are planning to do."Importing Vehicles to the DR" has dozens of "THREADS",and hundreds of "POSTS" on DR1.
Planning to bring in all your household goods as well? Same story goes for that!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Good questions. Many thanks for them.
I have thought about them. Rough Timeframe for my move is about two years from now. Planning to bring most of my households and car in a 20' container (big old stuff won't go). I was explained in DR embassy about import duties not applicable to me (I was born in DR and have the option to do this once in a lifetime). When time comes, I will pick a good agent to help with it. Not thinking about it now.

I need to buy the vehicle soon b/c my Accord is just quitting on me after 8 years. Households I already own (HDTV, HT electronics, Appliances, furniture), selling them here would not get me much (used stuff here is worthless), and then re-purchasing them there expensive. Vehicle Warranty won't be good oversees. That's a hit. I have seen cars over there are 1.5 times the USA cost (that's about 12$K in my case).

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon gives good advise on this matter. I wouldn't even consider importing a vehicle into the DR, especially a common model such as you mentioned. Just buy it in the DR and save yourself a ton of aspirin tablets.

Diesels are found everywhere in the DR and their owners enjoy a good price advantage at the pump as "gasoil" costs approximately 75% as much as regular gasoline. In general the diesels are not as finicky as gas engines; most will burn fuels of varying cetane levels (even K-1 kerosene in an emergency).

Swede