Cell Phones from US in DR?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello,

Is it possible to purchase a cell phone in the US and use it in the DR?

I'd like to buy a quality phone here in the states and give it to a friend in the DR.
I'm tried of my friend changing phones every 3-4 months because the phone dies.

Any suggestions?

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
We did that

We brought our Sprint phone and it works fine here, once they activate it.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Yes, you can activate your cellphone. The major providers are:

* Orange GSM

* Centennial CDMA

* Verizon CDMA

If you have a GSM phone, you can go to any number of Orange outlets and for a small fee, they will activate your phone and you can purchase minutes pre-paid phone cards.

If you have a CDMA phone, you can go to any number of Verizon or Centennial outlets and purchase a plan.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Your question has been answered Vibe_2020,

but your problem has not been solved. Mysteriously defective, lost, or stolen cellphones are epidemic among Dominican "friends". They are sold or given as gifts to a novio/novia, knowing that the rich gringo "friend" will always pony up for another, so they will have an easy way to stay in touch. Any phone you bring from the US will likely meet the same fate. The more expensive the phone, the more likely it will "break".

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
If the cell is GMS, sometimes it's necessary to unblock the code, some dealers can do that with a sofware and a special cable. Or you can buy it unblocked.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What network is "GMS"?
You have to get your SIM card unlocked by your own carrier.

Last edited:

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
You can get any phone unlocked at the New York Cell Phone shop opposite the police station.

Cost depends on the model .....Motorola V3 (new to DR) costs 500 pesos to unlock.....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why would you pay to unlock your phone if it's FREE at Cingular and T-Mobile in the States?