Cockfights

Fred Curtis Jr.

Sep 29, 2005
Last I was in Luperon there was a cockfight arena at the edge of town. Bloodsport but a lot of fun. Is it still operating?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There used to be bull fights in the DR, until they were outlawed by the US military authorities during what is historically known as the First Military Ocupation of the DR by the United States (1916-1924). Cockfights are very popular, mostly in rural areas. One day of the week is saved for cockfights in the local ring, and varies with each location.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cockfighting

Is a major, major business in the DR. It is completly entwined with politics, the military and the society from top to bottom.

Every town has an arena and places like Santiago San Francisco de Macor?s, La Vega, and others, have several.

It is interesting.

HB :D:D

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Is a major, major business in the DR. It is completly entwined with politics, the military and the society from top to bottom.

Every town has an arena and places like Santiago San Francisco de Macor?s, La Vega, and others, have several.

It is interesting.

HB :D:D

Yep, and I remember that cockfights were televised (either Saturday or Sunday afternoons) many years ago. Sort of like the 'Game of the Week' or 'Monday Night Football' except with feathers. :laugh:

My brother-in-law over in the SFM area never misses the Saturday afternoon cockfights; he owns several birds.

Swede

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I have a section (complete with photos) on an afternoon spent at the weekly cockfights held in Las Galeras on www.samanaonline.com On the main menu, go to the Attractions section page and then click Cockfights in the dropdown List of Attractions.

All is covered in this short photo essay from initial weigh-in through the bird's fight in the circular arena ringed with tiered, bleacher seating. Spending an afternoon at the fights is, as Hillbilly said, seeing an important part of Dominican society function with much of a community's affairs settled there in a relaxed, social atmosphere (when the birds are not fighting). And when they're fighting,... well it becomes rather lively with all the betting and shouting going on!

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Thanks, very much! What a great site. It was clear and concise. Should be a great format for all to follow. John

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have some cockfight footage I want to post online. I shot some footage out in Monte Christi a few years back. Right now I just have a short clip that I find sort of funny. In the same room where the roosters were getting their talons put on, preparing to fight to the death. . . .were couples on "dates" dancing to bahata! I just found that funny, so I posted a very short clip.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/bachata_cockfight.html

I also have some good footage of 2 rooster owners watching their roosters fight each other and the reaction on the face of one guy when his bird was dealt the death blow. . . . .I may have to put some disclaimers on that clip once done as it is pretty darn graphic and violent.

I also shot cock fights in san cristobal ona very rainy night last years as part of "A Moment On Earth" documentary. Video crews from all over the worl all shot the same exact moment, and the film maker cut it together to show what is happening around the world at any given moment. I was given permission to use that footage and will most likely take a look and edit it into a clip in the coming weeks.

I will also try and get to the Coliseo Gallistico in SDQ. It is way more upscale than the places in the campo. Roosters arrive in Jeepetas and not carried in sacks on the back of mopeds. . . . . .club members have reserved parking spaces. teh arena has AC a bar, restaurant and VIP section. Everything is computerized and much more modern and civilized. . . . . . .until the fight starts. . . .then it is 2 chickens fighting to the death. . . . . .

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Rafael's post

There are columns in most of the newspapers, reporting on any given week's "action" .......

Of course in STO DGO the name of the Coliseo is Bonetti!! As in La Manicera etc, etc...no po' folks there, that is for sure. In Santiago there are at least ten cockfight arenas and the municpal one, next to Hach? is probably the largest. The Coliseo Santiago, out in Pontezuela, is the one that most of the major "galleros" attend.
A good friend of mine has over 200 "gallos de pelea" on his tobacco farm in Jacagua. And probably 60 older birds that are cared for just to get their spurs...
There is a major economic interest in this operation and you can see why at perhaps RD$10,000 - 20,000 a bird..........

HB......

Fred Curtis Jr.

Sep 29, 2005
rafael said:
I have some cockfight footage I want to post online. I shot some footage out in Monte Christi a few years back. Right now I just have a short clip that I find sort of funny. In the same room where the roosters were getting their talons put on, preparing to fight to the death. . . .were couples on "dates" dancing to bahata! I just found that funny, so I posted a very short clip.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/bachata_cockfight.html

I also have some good footage of 2 rooster owners watching their roosters fight each other and the reaction on the face of one guy when his bird was dealt the death blow. . . . .I may have to put some disclaimers on that clip once done as it is pretty darn graphic and violent.

I also shot cock fights in san cristobal ona very rainy night last years as part of "A Moment On Earth" documentary. Video crews from all over the worl all shot the same exact moment, and the film maker cut it together to show what is happening around the world at any given moment. I was given permission to use that footage and will most likely take a look and edit it into a clip in the coming weeks.

I will also try and get to the Coliseo Gallistico in SDQ. It is way more upscale than the places in the campo. Roosters arrive in Jeepetas and not carried in sacks on the back of mopeds. . . . . .club members have reserved parking spaces. teh arena has AC a bar, restaurant and VIP section. Everything is computerized and much more modern and civilized. . . . . . .until the fight starts. . . .then it is 2 chickens fighting to the death. . . . . .

That little video was great!! Looking forward to more.
I shall practice my bahata at every opportunity.

Sep 19, 2005
while I was in the DR at my girlfriends house, there was a show that gave highlights of cockfights somewhere in the country. they would have one about every 10 minutes on the show... then go into slow motion to give a good view of the blow that undid the loser...I remember one where one bird was getting his butt kicked bad and was actually blind, but kept up the fight and got lucky and spurred the other bird for an instant kill!!!!!!!! sad thing is they are actually BOTH losers in that fight! ha ha ha......bob

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Custom has it that the loser birds, whether they survive the fight or not, are used for asopao or sancocho back at the owner's house.