Is 3rd World an appropriate category?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One thing that I have noticed recently was the usage of the word "3rd world" by none other than myself!

I never used this word, but with the constant usage of this word by DR1ers, it has caught on with me.

I have never felt at ease with this word, especially when its applied to the DR. This word always made me feel as if the DR is second best, not good enough, etc. Also, given the fact that this country is a middle income country, makes the country, officially at least, not poor. The fact that we are middle income nation explains why just about everywhere there are contrasts between modernity and antiquity, wealth and poverty, etc.

These contrasts have become more prevailant as times have moved forward, but its important to note that before 1970s all the way back to the colonial time period, this nation was simply poor. People were either rich or poor, most often poor and the rich were not that rich at all.

From the 1970s onward, the middle class and upper class segment of society has grown and the number of poor people (in absolute number and percentage wise) have decreased as well since the 1970s.

All of these middle class developments, shopping malls, and general affluence visible not just in Santo Domingo and Santiago (traditionally the only two places where such affluence existed), but in other cities nationwide, such as San Francisco, La Vega, Moca, Puerto Plata, La Romana, Higuey, among others.

This increase of wealth and contrasts is a testament to the increasing middle class tilt the country has been turning for the past 40 odd years since Trujillo died.

Thus, comes the question of whether the word "3rd world" is appropriate for a country that at the end of every decaded since the 1970s, has ended up wealthier than it was at the beginning of the same decade!

Never in the history of this country has there been so many middle class and upper class Dominicans alive at once. Never has there been so much economic mobility, opportunity, and economic growth. Never has the DR has got it as good as it has right now, despite the crisis that we recently went through.

Is the term "3rd world" appropriate for a middle income country?

If so, why? If not, why not?

In a world where most countries are not growing economically by any substancial amount, in a world where middle class is simply a dream to be had, can we categorize the Dominican Republic, with its average growth of spectacular 7% in 1990s and now returning to high growth once again, in a country where the middle class is not just a dream, but a reality that keeps growing?

I invite every DR1er to give their personal opinion of this, it should be an interesting thread.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
still 3rd world

3rd world sounds bad because it is thouhgt of being the last " world" there is. But it isn't ! you have 4th world and even 5th world. So DR being a 3rd world country is not that bad. Third World is exactly what Quisqueya is. A country with fragile infrastructure, ex: lack of reliable electricity, many unpaved roads, some places have no water, etc.

2nd World would be like Romania, Bulgaria and other Eastern European states. They are not as wealthy as Western Europe, but they at least have decent infrastructure.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Third world with a capital T

If the stats report that the DR is a middle-income country then it's a middle-income third world country. Nals, we have been through this before and nothing has changed. If it makes you feel better by calling the DR a middle-income country then that's your prerogative. However, a country that has a pitiful education system, a corrupt government, visible and extensive poverty, high unemployment, no LIGHT, inconsistent agua potable, etc. these are all attributes of a third world country just in case you have not noticed.

LDG.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The DR is rated 95th out of 177 countries by the UN HID index. It is 3rd world, behind Kazakhstan and Sri Lanka on that index. Would you think Sri Lanka as a 2nd world country? Hardly. Thus the DR being ranked lower is not higher rated.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The whole categorisation stems from the cold war period: US/Canada/Western Europe and Japan the 1st World, the communist countries in Eastern Europe and the USSR the 2nd World, and the rest the 3rd world. Now, with the fall of communism and globalisation it is much more complicated. The differences in what was the 3rd world have become huge; compare South Korea or Kuwait with Mozambique or Haiti. The whole categorisation isn't really used anymore, many of the 2nd world countries have become full European Union members. Who ever says 'I live in a 1st/2nd world country?'. Only '3rd world' has remained in usage, and for those the term 'developing countries' is much more common now.
About the DR being a 'middle income' country, well it's clearly not as poor as some African countries or as wealthy as North American or European countries. But it's also much less wealthy than countries that are without doubt 'middle income', like Turkey, Mexico, Chile, South Africa. The DR is in the category of 'developing countries', although not the poorest of them.

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Here is a posting I made on another board which is more or less on point for this discussion. I don't have time right now to research it (the posting was done some time ago) but it might stimulate some discussion.

The First, Second, Third World model was originally espoused by Alfred Sauvy, a French demographer, who wrote an article in 1952 in the French magazine L'Observateur and coined the phrase. It was based on the Cold War geopolitical world at that time and under that model the DR was definitely a "Third World" state. Of course so was Saudi Arabia so you can see that there were perceived anomalies right from the beginning.

With the fall of the Soviet Union the old model ceased to have relevance and it was necessary to shift to a model which made sense. In addition the perception by many was that the model had actually been economically based all along and so the old model became less widely used and accepted.

The current most favourable model (U. N.) is actually based on two major groupings:

Developed Nations and Developing Nations;

with the Developing Nations group having three Sub-Groups:

LDC - Least Developed Countries
LLDC - Land Locked Developing Countries
SIDS - Small Island Developing States

The Dominican Republic is grouped by the UN in the latter sub-group of Developing Nations - Small Island Developing States.

So for current politically correct individuals it should not be said that the DR is "Third World" but is a SIDS country...

Of course the name of the game here is communication and I have never been the most politically correct person around, so...

in my mind the DR is a Third World country until they shape up politically and economically, in a lot of ways; and that could take a very, very long time.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Third world is an inadequate term but it is an easy (lazy) way of describing developing countries.

Other terms in use also have their drawbacks. We talk about the wealthy 'North' and the impoverished 'South' but what about Mongolia, Australia and New Zealand?

Sometimes people refer to the 'West' as the developed world, but that includes us, doesn't it?

Until someone comes up with a better term, 'third world' remains in common usage and although it is out of date (as qgrande pointed out the 'second world' is definitely an anachronism).

Developed, developing and underdeveloped are the most accurate, IMO.

Suggestions, anyone?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The term third world is outdated but the attributes apply today...

I completely agree with 'ggrande' and' Chirimoya' that the term third world is outdated and its meaning in today's world is just an umbrella term for developing nations as a whole. However, what has not changed in my opinion are the 'attributes' or better defined as the factors that constitute a third world nation.

Nals you are solely focused on the fact that the DR statistically is a middle-income country but what about the other factors I mentioned in my first post? Out of curiosity dollars wise what is that middle-income factor and what % of the population is earning this middle-income?

No sense discussing the obvious I think we all agree that the DR is not in the state that most African countries are or some Asian countries however, it can't be compared to the wealthier nations of this hemisphere. Globalization has changed the definition of all categorizations used in the previous century and in my opinion really hurts the poorer nations and widens the gap between developed and developing nations.

An appropriate term would be one that takes into consideration the 'attributes' of a developing country combined with the earning potential and income structure of its inhabitants and other crucial factors. However, the DR may look like a true 'middle-income country' on the surface but it is far from it due to its feeble infrastructure.

* a structured and effective public education system
* luz
* agua
* an efficient health care system
* paved roads throughout the country
* a much less fraudulent government (very minimal corruption). The people must see the benefits of the taxes they pay.

If all of the above were to be improved the DR would rank well as a developing nation.

LDG.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
While in my apartment in Santo Domingo, I live in a '1st World' environment. Now, when I'm in my hut north of Azua, it's definitely '3rd World'. But I've travelled to places in San Juan de la Maguana province and toward the border with Haiti that make some African Third World countries look like First World... I would like to see a map-chart, color-coded to reflect different regions in the DR in terms of 1st, 2nd, and 3 world characteristics. Could be a good aid for tourists and visitors on what to expect, or what to avoid....

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Lesley D said:
* luz
* agua
* a much less fraudulent government (very minimal corruption). The people must see the benefits of the taxes they pay.

If all of the above were to be improved the DR would rank well as a developing nation.

LDG.

I pretty much agree with Lesley D on this. I might point out that when I first lived in the DR, the luz y agua issues were in some ways better than today - less power outages and you could drink water from many taps. I recall going a month or more without a power outage.

Swede

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These are good responses.

Let me make it clear that I can see what this country is and is not. However, it does not changes the fact that the country is middle income and given that classification middle income is different from lower income or upper income any way anyone wants to cut it.

The following is all based on what has been posted here and my response to them collectively:

1. It appears that people here are making the assumption that the population is evenly distributed nationwide. This becomes much more clear when Mirador posted:

While in my apartment in Santo Domingo, I live in a '1st World' environment. Now, when I'm in my hut north of Azua, it's definitely '3rd World'. But I've travelled to places in San Juan de la Maguana province and toward the border with Haiti that make some African Third World countries look like First World...

The Cibao Valley and the Santo Domingo metro area have a combined population that makes up 90% of all the peoples living in this country. It's also true, that those two areas have the most accessible infrastructure available in this country, the highest investment from the government and private enterprise, the bigger chunck of the economy (SDQ and Cibao each make up 40% of Dominican economy or 80% of the total economy of the country), and in those two regions middle class lifestyle is the most pronounce than anywhere else in the country.

Can we make a judgement on this country based on certain conditions in the San Juan Valley, when the population of the entire South and East is barely 10% of the total?

Are those areas representative of the country when only 20% of the economic productivity of the country is conducted in those areas compared to Santo Domingo and the Cibao combined producing 80%?

The answer is NO.

The Cibao valley and Santo Domingo combined make up a much bigger peace of the pie in population and economic activity, that what we know as the Dominican Republic is virtually maintained by those two regions, and certainly, Santo Domingo and the Cibao is overall wealthier than either the East or the South.

2. When Leslie posted:

* luz
* agua

as signs of the DR being "more developed", it was obviously highly subjective to her interpretation of development.

For example, one of her points in order to consider the DR to be more "middle income" would be paved roads throughout the country. If that was the case, then the United States would be third world, since 35% of the total kilometers of roads in the United States are unpaved! Compare that to the DR, where 50% of all road kilometers are paved!

Why does the roads appear more paved in the US than in the DR? That is answered by inequality of the development of the road networks. Areas of both countries that are much more urbanized, wealthier, and have greater economic activity are the areas where the higher propensity of paved roads exist. Look at a map of the United States and the DR and you will notice that in the US roads are heavily concentrated in the Northeast, Midwest, and Southern California more so than in any other places and look at the DR and you will see that Santo Domingo and the Cibao has quite a road network compared to the rest of the country. This is representative of population density, economic importance of those areas, and the level of unequal distribution of population in a given country.

Thus, the roads deal is not a good indication.

When it comes to the education deal, sure we can all agree that more is better. However, look how many of the well educated got a good job. Oh no, can it be that they are underemployed? That guy who put your groceries in your bag at Carrefour has a degree in IT technology? Hmm....

The health care system is adequate, the problem are those people who are taking the benefits of the system when the system was not meant for them.

And with the government, we can all agree with peace.

3. Chirimoya's post was more at par with what I was looking for in reality. Very clear cut and she even gave her opinion of a better terminology to define countries.

Developed, developing, and underdeveloped is what I would agree to use, it's more accurate than any other form of description for a multitude of countries that have absolutely nothing in common with each other, for the most part.

However, those countries are more the norm, since "developed" countries are nothing more than a outlyers. If you would do a bell curve graph on the economies of all countries, it clearly becomes clear that the "developed" countries are outliers, tiny minority of the world. Perhaps, this is why people from those countries come to where most people of the world lives with an array of shocks.

You can see them even as tourist. Oh my God, they are so poor! is a common remark. Were people actually expecting that their outlying countries were representatives of the world's current development?

Average income worldwide is (in US Dollars) around $6,000. Average income wihtin OECD nations (Developed) is around $27,000. The outliers are clear to see.

4. Fireguy and qgrande gave a good explanation that merits attention from everyone.

5. Asopao, good beginning in your post, but the notion of "5th world" is incorrect.

Keep the posts coming, it would be nice to see how the overall ideas evolution pertaining to this subject.

Sources:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2085.html

http://www.worldbank.org/data/countryclass/classgroups.htm

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nals, population wise, the stark fact remains that a large proportion of Dominicans live in poverty.

Inequality rates - the gap between rich and poor - is an important indicator, and the DR does not score high on this count.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Nals....

since when do you spell my name incorrectly? Please it's Lesley ;)

I read your response and the only aspect I would like to point out or clarify is that paved roads are an important reflection of 'how' the government spends taxpayer's money. My point being if the government were less corrupt and used taxpayer's money for public services etc. it would have the $ to pave the roads and repair crumbling bridges etc. Therefore, I disagree with you. All my points are linked or intertwined. Well maintained schools, roads, health care facilities etc. are a reflection how the government spends taxpayer's money etc.

LDG.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Nals, population wise, the stark fact remains that a large proportion of Dominicans live in poverty.

Inequality rates - the gap between rich and poor - is an important indicator, and the DR does not score high on this count.
Of course, income distribution is the reason why the DR appears worst than it actually is, but appearances are deceptive and that is what is occuring here.

However, lets make a comparison with the global benchmark used in anything economics, the USA.

In the US, the top quintile (upper class) of the population earned 50% of all aggregate household incomes, whereas the bottome quintile of the population earned around 5% of all aggregate household incomes.

In the DR, the Gini Index (measures income inequality) in 1998 was 47.4, putting us in 28th place worldwide, just 3 places higher than the United States, which rated 45 in 2004 and is the 31st most unequal country in the world out of 113 countries.

If you click on the second link below, you will see the income distribution, scroll to the bottom and see what countries are the most equal in the world. Hint: Belaurus, Hungary, Denmark, Japan, etc. ranking from 113th to 110th place respectably.

What is this saying?

Well, in the context of US vs. DR, the US is not much better than the DR when it comes to income distribution. Rich Dominicans earn about as much as rich Americans from total income of their resepective countries and the poor of each country are some of the lowest receivers of income of a share of national income in the world.

Why does the US appears to the naked eye more equal than the DR?

It has something to do with US government artificially increasing the standards of living of its poor by giving them grants, whereas in the DR people live according to what they can afford. That is the difference between shacks on the outskirts of Santo Domingo and public housing complexes within American cities.

If the US would have been more dependent on the market, American cities would have developed slums similars to the one's we see here.

This, of course, is not the case with much of Europe.

How important is income distribution? Very important.

Can we use the US as benchmark to contrasts against other countries in with this issue? Only if we use the data available, but if we make judgements based on what we see in each countries, its highly unfair since poor Americans are actually much poorer than they appear, perhaps as worst off as Dominican poors once you take away their housing grants, food stamps, and cost of living.

Sources:
http://www.uwec.edu/geography/Ivogeler/w111/greedy.htm

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_dis_of_fam_inc_gin_ind

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
since when do you spell my name incorrectly? Please it's Lesley
Oops! Sorry for that. :nervous:

I read your response and the only aspect I would like to point out or clarify is that paved roads are an important reflection of 'how' the government spends taxpayers money. My point being if the government were less corrupt and used taxpayers money for public services etc. it would have the $ to pave the roads and repair crumbling bridges etc. Therefore, I disagree with you. All my points are linked or intertwined. Well maintained schools, roads, health care facilities etc. are a reflection how the government spends tax payers money etc.
I see what you are saying and it has merit. However, don't forget, over half of all the money collected in taxes goes to pay the national debt.

Much of the corruption accusations are over blown by media sources and competiting political parties.

Corruption exist, there is no denying, but often we forget that half of the money that is taxed goes to pay the debt.

Now, if the debt was to be forgiven (as will be the case for a few African and Latin countries) and things continue as they are in terms of government spending, then we can be for certain how much of an effect corruption is having.

But for now, we can all agree that although corruption is having a negative effect, its effect is not worst than the repaying of the debt.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nal0whs said:
These are good responses.

For example, one of her points in order to consider the DR to be more "middle income" would be paved roads throughout the country. If that was the case, then the United States would be third world, since 35% of the total kilometers of roads in the United States are unpaved! Compare that to the DR, where 50% of all road kilometers are paved!

Sources:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2085.html

http://www.worldbank.org/data/countryclass/classgroups.htm
The above didn't make a lot of sense to me. Until I realized that it is skewed by the fact that the DR just has less roads per capita overall, paved or unpaved. Using the sites listed above it calculates that the US has 0.14 km of paved road per person, compared to 0.0015 km. of paved road in the DR per capita. This seems to reflect a more realistic view to me.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The roads thing is a red herring. Pre-Mitch Honduras had an impressive road network, but this was purely due to the government doling out lucrative contracts to their cronies. Now if running the education system came with the same perks...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
3rd World an appropriate category? Maybe we should ask those who run the country? What about our own Secretary of Education, who expressed yesterday that it is "understandable that the DR cannot guarantee basic human rights for children, because the DR like all poor countries of the world, does not have enough resources to provide adecuate education for its children". She goes on to say that there are 477 schools in dire need of reconstruction... 50% paved roads? In what book? I'm familiar with lots of paths, trails, tracks, courses, ways... more trodden than the roads recognized for statistical purposes.

http://www.hoy.com.do

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"None Are So Blind As Those Who WILL NOT SEE!!!"

"Jesus" Nalowls,are you for real??? How can you possibly call yourself an "Economist" when you will never acknowledge the real condition of the DR's economy??? Do you read the Dominican papers??? The DR is raanked next to Chad in Corruption by the government in Suspect public works projects! Hotels are closing,free zone plants are closing,your mind is closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your concept of a "Growing Middle Class" is just not the reality here!What is growing is the HUGE UNDERCLASS!

Why does aanyone actually bother responding to your "When "Ifs" and "buts" are Candy And Nuts,everyday will be Christmas in the DR!"

There are acouple of Dominicans with stolen fortunes in the hundreds of millions of dollars,but to compare "millionaires" in the DR to the US is ignorant!!
Last time I checked,Bill Gates still lives in Seattle!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
I agree with Chris...and to add

the D.R. has had plenty of money at there disposal..to create many things..but like my wife and I say constantly about the Dominican republic with the term third world as it's identity...I would have to say that what makes the D.R. third world is there "MIND"! most of those 10 thousand to 12 thousand dollar a year so called middle class Dominicans...have got to that point threw political means...and fleecing the countries funds, and helping there political parties stay afloat to distribute these funds amonst themselves... this is the goal...the motivation..it's like winning the lottery
the corruption is to overwhelming and extremely out of control...the Dominican goverment have not been able to shake this label off of it's people...they can't fool the international community...there label has stayed where it is because there thirst to steal has become a part of there M.O. so basically they wouldn't care if you called them 10th world! if it puts money in there pockets the label is looked at with a grain of salt... a small price to pay to live like a Don in there own country.