Conjunctions y, e, o, u, sino, pero

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
Conjunctions y, e, o, u, sino, pero

A) There are two words in Spanish for the word and: y and e. We use e when the word that follows begins with the sound [i], which corresponds to the letters i and hi. (Remember that h is always silent.)

Exs: Daniel e Isabel / padre e hijo

There are a few words that begin with hie; in this case hie sounds like [ye] instead of [ie], and the conjunction y is used.

Ex: agua y hielo

B) There are two words in Spanish for the word or: o and u. We use u when the word that follows begins with the sound [o], which corresponds to the letters o and ho. If the word begins with the diphthong hue as in hueso, we use o.

Ex: siete u ocho, minutos u horas, BUT m?sculos o huesos

C) There are three ways to translate the word but: pero, sino, and sino que . In order to use sino, two conditions are required:

1. The first part of the sentence must be negative:

Ex: Ese muchacho no es Pedro sino Pablo.

2. The two parts of the sentence must be parallel ? that is, the contrast must be between two nouns, two adjectives, and so on. At the same time those two parts must be on the same level of meaning: two colors, two religions, two affiliations. Otherwise pero must be used.

Exs. No es gorda sino delgada. (She's not fat but thin.): Fatness and thinness are on the same level.
No es gordo pero es alto. (He's not fat but tall.): Fatness and height are on different levels.

Sino que is used when each of the two parts of the sentence contains a subject and a verb.
Exs. Pepe no fuma sino que bebe.

BUT Pepe no quiere fumar sino beber.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks jcrue20!

I often see 'sino' misused to mean 'si no' as in 'if not'

YO MANEJO BIEN
SINO LLAMAR A XXX XXXX

Can it also be translated as 'unless'?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Jcrue has given us a very good and practical Spanish lesson today. I am also glad you mentioned that example, Chirimoya.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
very informative

Thank you so much - this was a real eye opener for me.

I was used to seeing "Y" and "O" just like everyone. But then, once in a while, in an official handbook or sign - I would run across "E" and "U".

I am embarrasses to say, but the first time I encountered them, I was sure that they were "typos"/erorrs.

With more exposure to the written language, I found it odd that these "errors" showed up in written documents of the formal variety, and not in normal speech.

I was wondering what was up at about the time I saw this post.

I feel silly/stupid, but overall relieved to know what is going on and why.

Hope someone else gets a chuckle at my expense!
-- Suenos

Status
Not open for further replies.