Question about generator/inverter

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
I bought a generator to charge the batteries on my inverter. Before I hook it up, however, I wonder if there are any warnings or advice about this process. I don't want to damage the inverter. Thanks for any input.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
BigDaddy said:
I bought a generator to charge the batteries on my inverter. Before I hook it up, however, I wonder if there are any warnings or advice about this process. I don't want to damage the inverter. Thanks for any input.

How about not damaging the batteries. Inverter batteries are high amp, so avoid trickle charge, which will damage the batteries. Use only high amp charging (10-25 amps).

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Just that many (most) inverters need a pretty solid signal to charge batteries with, in some cases the generator can take significantly longer to charge batteries than street power.

If you have a fairly large generator, even a small diesel then you should have little to worry about.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
BigDaddy said:
Much more likely to be the reverse.
If you demand too much of your generator to charge the batteries, you could "cook" your generator.
How big is your generator and how big is your inverter, and how many batteries do you have?