Any camping sites in the south coast?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I was intersted in camping out somewhere nice near the south coast. I am not trying to save money on hotel. I simply want to camp out for a day or two. Anyone know of good camping sites in the south coast of the DR please let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
There's Rancho Campeche not too far from the capital, in the San Cristobal area.

Stopped by with the family, on my way to Cocolandia Beach (Palenque) a few weeks ago, on a Sunday. My Montero SUV hardly made it through the winding dirt road, making it practically impassible for any but the best cross-country drivers to reach the place. It looked abandoned, not even a caretaker was there to explain... Also, I noticed the place is outside cell-phone service.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Best check by phoning their SD office beforehand then.
809 686-1053 / 697-3383
The access road was not good when we went, but not as bad you describe, Mirador. Normal saloon cars made it up to the site.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Best check by phoning their SD office beforehand then.
809 686-1053 / 697-3383
The access road was not good when we went, but not as bad you describe, Mirador. Normal saloon cars made it up to the site.

I insist, the road is impassable, probably washed away from recent rains. I wager 100 to 1 that no saloon car can make it... I called the number, and a grouchy lady answered. I asked her if I could visit the place. She said no. I asked her if it was open to the public. She said no, that the place was available on a reservation basis only, for events like parties, etc.

Regarding the OP's question. There are no camping facilities per se in the South.