Used furniture needed

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Dear DR1 readers:

I have an experience that I want to share with you, and I am also seeking your help.

I was invited to visit my workers home in Samaneta yesterday. He has just remarried and moved to his new home. Samaneta is about 20 minutes north of Caberate, and it is an area where most of the labor force came from for Sosua, Caberate, and Puerto Plata.

This was not my first time to this part of the country, but it is my first time to see such poor living conditions. My worker moved into this house about 2 months now, and he is living there with his new wife and his 7-year old boy.

The house is very clean but has little or no furniture. It has 3 bedrooms with a living room and the kitchen area, the bath room was outside. It has no running water, and no electricity may be 2 to 3 days a week for a couple of hours. Besides one dinner table with 4 chairs, and a bed in one of the bedrooms, the house is completely bare.

I feel sad at first, but after I saw the 7-year old son playing on the cement floor I realized that they may be poor, but they are happy. Later I also visited Ramon?s mother about 5 minutes away, and say hello to the rest of the neighborhood.

After I got back, I kept thinking about them and I want to help them with some furniture, things that many of us can well afford to give up to someone less fortunate.

So, here it is. If anyone wants to get rid of their old used furniture (bed, linens, pots & dishes, TV with antenna, toys and school materials for a 7-year old, etc., please contact me at Hyeung7@aol.com or call me at 809-965-0339, and I will come and pick it up with my jeep, or I will make arrangement to have it picked up.

Thank you so much for listening.

Herman

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Sad as it may seem,

you've described the living conditions for a large part of the population in the DR - many live in 'campos' in shacks with little to nothing and feed themselves off of the produce they grow or get from their neighbours.

It does make a big difference to give what/where you can.

Stay well,
Amy