Terios owners

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
At the advice of the dealer, we have been using premium gas in our Daihatsu Terios. Now that the gas prices are through the roof we have switched to regular. I'm in NY, but my girlfriend, who uses the car, says it's fine but less powerful (an oxymoron when used about a Terios). What kind of gas do you other owners use? It's a great car, by the way. - D

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
Daihatsu Terios

It is funny to see your post on a Terios. I was just about to post this morning about this same vehicle.

I was orrered one for sale on the weekend and i like the look of the suv and the higer grounds clearence and 4 wheel drive but i have never had any expereince with this suv and was wondering what others think about this suv.
I was offered a 2000 in looks to be very good condition for 10,000 US. Is that a fair current market price and are these suv and good or should i keep looking for a toyota Missabushi or Honda.

As for the gas i would use what the factory recomends all the time.

thanks

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I rented one of these bad boys in Costa Rica and the roads (believe it or not)are a lot worse than the DR. I had the car for 2 weeks and it survived me driving a rental car for that period of time so I give it a thumbs up!

I am bad on rentals and I liked this vehicle.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As part of a contracted position, I had a Terios for almost 1 year. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the vehicle. Regular gas is just fine. It makes no difference using premium at all.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
My parents have one it runs on regular and it is a sweet little toycar. Does everything you want from such a car.

Greetings

Johan

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
680680 said:
It is funny to see your post on a Terios. I was just about to post this morning about this same vehicle.

I was orrered one for sale on the weekend and i like the look of the suv and the higer grounds clearence and 4 wheel drive but i have never had any expereince with this suv and was wondering what others think about this suv.
I was offered a 2000 in looks to be very good condition for 10,000 US. Is that a fair current market price and are these suv and good or should i keep looking for a toyota Missabushi or Honda.

As for the gas i would use what the factory recomends all the time.

thanks

I can't remember exactly, but I only paid 16 or 17K US for mine new. 10k sounds high. Also, it is not necessarily 4wd, mine isn't. But the car is over a year old, and is perfect. It's got that Japanese quality, and no frills. - D

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have heard rumours that some gas stations use regular in the premium tanks in order to make more margin. Just rumour, but it wouldn't surprise me for sure.

By the way, who makes the Terios?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Conchman said:
I have heard rumours that some gas stations use regular in the premium tanks in order to make more margin. Just rumour, but it wouldn't surprise me for sure.

By the way, who makes the Terios?
Daihatsu. Toyota uses the engine for one of their smaller models. We only use the Coastal station un Sosua - DR1 certified!! - D

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One thing no one mentioned is that in the D.R. Regular Gas is leaded and Premium is Unleaded. So if your car requires unleaded you would have to use Premium. If I am wrong Greg can correct me

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have a Terios...........

.....2002 and have used regular gas in it since day one with no problem. I am also under the understanding that there is NO leaded gas in the DR. Many people think there is because the attendants don't know any better and call one "sin plomo"....

marco112

Oct 16, 2004
Terios!

I've had a Terios since 2000. 5 years later she's still chugging along.

I bought it 1 month used for 15-16 thousand US...I'd expect it to be about 8 or so now though I could be wrong.

I use regular gas, but if I fill up at an "iffy" gas station, the car will likely choke up while driving. I had to change my gas filter 2x already...my mechanic says it's b.c of dirty gas...

The other chronic Terios problem, that seems to occur throughout the world according to some internet forum i read once, is that they are slightly out of tune. That causes a little shaking at idle, sometimes turning off if the A/C is off. Something about the air mixture i think. I usually get it fixed, but the "fix" only works for a few months and then back to the same old problem.

Also, when breaking, some people experience a "shudder". Problem went away with new brakes, though that didn't work for a friend of mine.

Overall...a nice, fun loving, no stress car. It's my understanding Diahatsu is Toyota's "mini" car division.

Enjoy.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
mpg

What is the mileage per gallon from Terios and other diahatsu small cars?

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Out of Curiosity, Don't Toyota Cars - Corolla & Tercel gives arounds 25 -30MPG/40-48KPG? Assuming that toyota makes Diahatsu engines or the other way around, Daihatsu are great and longlasting vehicles. Are my assumptions in order?