Video Projectors in Santo Domingo

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Anyone know where video projectors are sold in Santo Domingo? if I remember correctly Plaza Lama and Pricesmart have them but I am not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.
Rick

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Find the cheapest R/T to MIA and buy one there and bring it back in your carry on bag. You are bound to save the cost and get something that didn't spend 18 weeks in a salt air environment on a freighter. These things define fragile and complicated.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am the official DR1 video projector expert on this board. No one knows more about home video projectors than I do. Hehehehehe
Ok, first of all, the video projectors that are sold here are almost all old models and all are SVGA. To get a higher resolution out of your videos, you must have the XGA resolution model projector.
The differance is very obvious. The SVGA LCD projector would look like as if you are watching video through a screen door. You will see pixels in a grid type image. The XGA has many more pixels so the grid effect is not so obvious.
My favorite projector is the DLP model. From a short distance, you will not notice the screen door effects and no pixels. It you will give you a real movie theater experience . my projector gives you better quality than a movie theater.
In this country, the old models of SVGA projectors are sold as if they were new XGA projectors. Which means, the video projectors are expensive here than in USA.
My friend bought a video projector and it already had 500 hours of usage on the bulb. The bulb lasts more or less 2000 hrs and sells for around 400 dollars. Now you would be really lucky to get 2000 hrs out of this bulb in DR. The voltage varies and the current is of bad quality.
Best bet is to read about projectors on projector.com and see which one fits your need. The shop around for the best price on the net. My favorite is benq pb6200. The best bang for your dollars but its best to view this projector through a vga connection of a pc. Which means, I run it through my pc as though its a monitor.
AZB

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
If you are running your Benq through vga the best it is capable of is 800 x 600.If your source is better then that you are not taking advantage of its capability,Even if you run a better source to your pc... lets say a dvd player,it will only give you 800 x600.I believe your Benq is capable of 1024 x 768 and will display 1080i,720p and 480p.Correct me if I,m wrong it has been a while since we sold that model in my store.Infocus is another good projector there model 7205 will support 1024 x 768 and has 3/2 pulldown,it will support vga,rgb,hdmi,svhs,composite and component video. It also has variable fan speed to increase bulb life.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hifiman said:
If you are running your Benq through vga the best it is capable of is 800 x 600.If your source is better then that you are not taking advantage of its capability,Even if you run a better source to your pc... lets say a dvd player,it will only give you 800 x600.I believe your Benq is capable of 1024 x 768 and will display 1080i,720p and 480p.Correct me if I,m wrong it has been a while since we sold that model in my store.Infocus is another good projector there model 7205 will support 1024 x 768 and has 3/2 pulldown,it will support vga,rgb,hdmi,svhs,composite and component video. It also has variable fan speed to increase bulb life.
native resolution for benq6200 is 1024x768. I am running it at that rate. My video is better than movie theather or any plasma TV.
Going back to topic.
There is a store in plaza internacional called "Ecotek" (2nd floor), santiago. This guy speaks perfect english and sells name brand projectors. He has about 5 different ones on display. He is equipped with professional screens and accessories. His prices are good too.
Benq is a good brand (PB 6200 is the most popular for home use). NEC also has some nice projectors and give you an ultra sharp image.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hifiman said:
If you want a unbiased opinion of projectors go to www.projectorcentral.com and see for yourself.
Ok, I am sorry, I meant to say www.Projectorcentral.com and not projector.com.

On the other note, I find projectorcentral.com to have bias reviews. My recommendation is to read the avsforum. There you have all kinds of reviews of all kinds of equipment from actual users with actual problems and solutions.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Good luck.
AZB