How do we, as the "Dominicans abroad", help our people back home?

Noman

May 17, 2004
or do we just indulge in the delicacies of the material world that has embraced only a few of us?

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
There are many ways...Noman but pick and choose your fight wisely

My biggest sensitivity for Dominican's in the island is the lack of care for child development in the island...the things children and teens have to endure is un-fair and down right sad..work with the children first..this is the future..for and island on shady ground more support from abroad should focus on the development of the countries youth then anything else...whether it's developing new sports programs or sponsoring a child and pay for there educational development such as what I do now for three young athlete's in Santo Domingo..yes it's tight in the pockets..but these kids will remember you forever!!! that's the biggest reward...children will never forget a generous person...other projects are at work but the biggest problem with the Dominican community in the U.S. is they think they can solve all problems with cash! but what I truly see is that Dominican's were not blessed with organization skills..which is what the community lacks the most...I see it like this if every Dominican gave just 5 dollars a month for educational facilities and athletic development programs the country would make a dramatic change like nothing you ever seen.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The level of corruption to many poses as a huge deterrent at ALL levels.
It saddens me when I talk to good people who were just trying to help out but gave up. How can you do business or help people who are always looking to get over on you...
No se deja ayudar.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dominicans abroad can help by first helping themselves: 1. Finish high school. 2. Finish college. 3. Get a good job.

In general, Dominicans everywhere have to stop looking to government to solve their problems. They do it in the DR. They do it in the USA.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Thanks for saying that. It was a another good point I also wanted to bring up. This mentality of the "hand-out and get-over" has just GOT TO GO. It leads to many of the social problems we see in our society today.

mondongo said:
Dominicans abroad can help by first helping themselves: 1. Finish high school. 2. Finish college. 3. Get a good job.

In general, Dominicans everywhere have to stop looking to government to solve their problems. They do it in the DR. They do it in the USA.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
mondongo said:

Easier said than done, but good points.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mondongo said:

Sometimes Mondongo posts the truth that ought to be chisled in stone!

I always say:

You can never be too poor to make another poor person feel better, but you can help another person help themselves by setting the example yourself!

Also, Dominicans need to stop being so d*mn pessimist. This is something I don't use constantly, but when I do I MEAN IT!

All this self-pity crap, how on earth can people progress with self pity?????

All of this leads to my other belief which I have posted in DR1 multiple times:

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

Unfortunately, most Dominicans will hear that, say "eso es asi" and then they continue to be like always, whinning, complaining, and blaming the government, but what have they done to help themselves?

From what I can see, those Dominicans who stoped expecting anything from the government and took it upon themselves are doing quite well compared to those who are waiting for the "milagro".

BTW, hating those who are more successful will not solve your problem of misery. However, trying to learn from those who made it, it sure will help you get in the right direction!

-This is probably one of the most blunt posts I have posted in a while, but I truly mean everything I have posted here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Ay, pero Nals, que se puede hacer, it's part of the culture... ;)
I remember posting:

When in Rome, you don't have to do as the Romans; but keep in mind, you are dealing with Romans.

What I meant by that was basically this:

Chiri, if you want more and more Dominicans to accept your definition of civilized, courtesy, etc, then you are going to have to talk to Dominicans of all classes as the Dominicans that they are...

It always help to be a Dominican to start with, but when it just so happens that you are not, then approach with caution, but stay determined.

This is very much like marketing a product, you want people to look at your product in a way that they will most readily accept.

;) :classic:

crazy moon

Oct 2, 2005
Well lets see canadians try living like dominicans

I have 3 children through world vision and my husband is dominican.
I live in canada and I am canadian. Canadians are never happy with what they have. Dominicans work hard for what they have and are always happy we need to learn from them. Crazy Moon

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nals, I tried to extract the point you were trying to make there and I am kind of at a loss. Mine was simple: funny how some things, when criticised by non-Dominican posters, are excused as being part of the culture, except when you choose to attack an aspect of it yourself.

Anyway, I am in contact with a pretty thorough cross-section of Dominicans, possibly even more than you are, though I wouldn't presume to assume that.

My problem is with ill-mannered, inconsiderate people, Dominican or otherwise. They are not MY standards. These standards are universal. But I know what good manners and considerate behaviour is, and that's what I strive for, and expect from others, especially those who should know better and are clearly making a choice to forgo the niceties.

The Dominican radio station I sometimes listen to has little jingles aimed at improving people's driving etiquette. There are municipal adverts all over the place extolling the virtue of a clean city. This is information for Dominicans by Dominicans, and the impression I get is that Dominicans themselves wish that people in general would drive in a more civil manner, stop throwing litter etc.

So where is the implied imposition of foreign values here?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Crazy Moon

That has to be the understatement of the year. A lot of Dominicans us every trick that they can to be able to get to Canada. Lets see Dominicans try to live like Canadians? Responsible for paying for a mortgage so that their kids have a decent place to live and grow up. Responsible enough to put aside something for their kid's education etc.

Responsible enough to send some money to elderly parents or others who actually need something.

This means probably having to get up and go to work every day. Even if you worked at lets say $300.00 per week and saved 1/4 you could after 5 years with interest have $30,000. Enough to put a child through school or build their house in the Dominican. However, again this takes hard work and displine.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Nals, I tried to extract the point you were trying to make there and I am kind of at a loss. Mine was simple: funny how some things, when criticised by non-Dominican posters, are excused as being part of the culture, except when you choose to attack an aspect of it yourself.

Anyway, I am in contact with a pretty thorough cross-section of Dominicans, possibly even more than you are, though I wouldn't presume to assume that.

My problem is with ill-mannered, inconsiderate people, Dominican or otherwise. They are not MY standards. These standards are universal. But I know what good manners and considerate behaviour is, and that's what I strive for, and expect from others, especially those who should know better and are clearly making a choice to forgo the niceties.

The Dominican radio station I sometimes listen to has little jingles aimed at improving people's driving etiquette. There are municipal adverts all over the place extolling the virtue of a clean city. This is information for Dominicans by Dominicans, and the impression I get is that Dominicans themselves wish that people in general would drive in a more civil manner, stop throwing litter etc.

So where is the implied imposition of foreign values here?
I sent you a PM.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just replied. Only after posting did I realise how far off topic my previous post was.

Carry on.

Noman

May 17, 2004
I agree with most of the points made in this thread...

But i feel like there is a huge disconnect between those Dominicans who have the opportunity to receive a good education, and those that dont. I know that those Dominicans who have the chance to help the less fortunate, do it with a lot of love and passion. I also know how hard it is to help people that only see help in the sense of money. But it is in the spirit of helping that one has to rely in order to see the fruits of that action which one is taking. I am from el cibao, and i was born in a very poor campo, where poverty is so widespread, that the only way towards respect and honor is throught money.
As a child, that was my dream, and the dream of all those children like me, to make loads amounts of money so we can sit back, relax, and woo the most beautiful morenita in town. Little did i know about the world during those years.
The day came, when for unknown reasons, I had to wear mi mejor camisa y mi mejor pantalon en un dia de la semana (we wear our best clothes only on sundays). I knew it was a not a regular day. I woke up, brushed my teeth, put on my best clothes, and got on the toyota heading towards la capital.
There, i borted a plane that was to bring me to heaven (NYC). "Nueva Yol, Nueva Yol, donde nunca se duerme" ...to be continued...

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Noman

I disagree with your preliminary statement. In the US and specifically in Dominican-concentrated areas the quality of service delivery is basically the same. The schools suck pretty much those who WANT to make the most of it do and move on. Those that prefer to live as if still in DR, stay stagnant. So the question is do they take advantage of the legal opportunities presented to them or is it just easier to get a quick buck regardless of how it's done or who it harms? You know what I mean?

If the parents CARE enough about their children to show them a better opportunity they would also push their kids to apply to the more selective schools in the city. I say this because there are parents that will straight up go fight with teachers about too much homework, too long hours, too much reading...who really prefer, by default, for their children to remain ignorant or mediocre. To me this is the real shame we must face and must rectify. I also understand that people live what they know.

I do agree with your statement that it is hard to help people that only think that money is the solution to their problems. That is also the start of dependent (and evolves to greedy) behavior that is hard for many to swallow.

I can only afford to help those who want to help themselves in a moral and just way. If you feed a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach him how to fish, he will eat forever.

Deelt

Noman said:
But i feel like there is a huge disconnect between those Dominicans who have the opportunity to receive a good education, and those that dont. I know that those Dominicans who have the chance to help the less fortunate, do it with a lot of love and passion. I also know how hard it is to help people that only see help in the sense of money. But it is in the spirit of helping that one has to rely in order to see the fruits of that action which one is taking. I am from el cibao, and i was born in a very poor campo, where poverty is so widespread, that the only way towards respect and honor is throught money.
As a child, that was my dream, and the dream of all those children like me, to make loads amounts of money so we can sit back, relax, and woo the most beautiful morenita in town. Little did i know about the world during those years.
The day came, when for unknown reasons, I had to wear mi mejor camisa y mi mejor pantalon en un dia de la semana (we wear our best clothes only on sundays). I knew it was a not a regular day. I woke up, brushed my teeth, put on my best clothes, and got on the toyota heading towards la capital.
There, i borted a plane that was to bring me to heaven (NYC). "Nueva Yol, Nueva Yol, donde nunca se duerme" ...to be continued...

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
one irrepressible need is to provide mentoring to elementary school kids. once they get to high school, its too late. teach them math, science,English. teach them to speak correctly. set high, not low, expectations.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Mondongo please read

mondongo said:

the issue has nothing to do with Dominicans abroad helping themselves. i know what you meant by it, but once they are in the US, they have many opportunities. it is not easy, but many doors are open. in DR however thats not the case, and weather you have much or little, if you're int he US you can do something to help your country. thats wha tthe question is about.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Nal0whs

I have to counter your argument on this. while it is true that Dominicans take things as is and blame the governments, they 1st have a good reason to do so. I mean these goverments just make **** worse and no one pays for it. there isnt a stand alone system to make corrupt people pay dearly to make them example.

and 2nd, all that you just said about Dominicans applies to pretty much every poor country in the world. It is not a Dominican thing, it is in many ways the product of a system. this is true in many mnay other countries. and think about it, if lack of education runs all over your family, you dont have much, are poor, everyone around you is poor and you seem to be trapped inthe rat race then you are very succeptible to that attitude.

Nal0whs said:
Sometimes Mondongo posts the truth that ought to be chisled in stone!

I always say:

You can never be too poor to make another poor person feel better, but you can help another person help themselves by setting the example yourself!

Also, Dominicans need to stop being so d*mn pessimist. This is something I don't use constantly, but when I do I MEAN IT!

All this self-pity crap, how on earth can people progress with self pity?????

All of this leads to my other belief which I have posted in DR1 multiple times:

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

Unfortunately, most Dominicans will hear that, say "eso es asi" and then they continue to be like always, whinning, complaining, and blaming the government, but what have they done to help themselves?

From what I can see, those Dominicans who stoped expecting anything from the government and took it upon themselves are doing quite well compared to those who are waiting for the "milagro".

BTW, hating those who are more successful will not solve your problem of misery. However, trying to learn from those who made it, it sure will help you get in the right direction!

-This is probably one of the most blunt posts I have posted in a while, but I truly mean everything I have posted here.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
My two cents...mis dos chelitos

ok

here's my take on this. I have always been aware of this problem and it bothers me:

This is the typical scenario, person comes to US begins to work send some monies to the island for help the some of the ones left behind. some are lucky enough to bring those close loved ones here w/ them and at that point the remittances dont need to be sent anymore. a lot of times these individuals (for some it depends on the age they came to the US) get americanized and although they go back to visit, they become part of the perpectually struggling working class that's always fighting to make it. all they work for is to amount some material items, set a good base for their kids (vis-a-vis pay for college etc). they may still be sending money back to DR, but not at the same rate. and if they try to achieve the american dream of owning a house here, then they seemto be bound to this country.

my point is coming dont worry.

now we have the kids of these individuals who came here when they were very very young or were born here in the US and they consider themselves Dominican Americans OR Americans of Domincan parents. by the time all this has heppened, maybe a two generations later, we get a disconnect from the country and less of a sense of responsibility towards it. even those who came here in their adulthood lose that sense of resonsibility because they have become americanized. It takes a lot of soul to decide that you want to make an extra effort to help your country. maybe other cultures are btter than us at that, but I think that it is this disconnect that gets on the way.

people all the sudden have to worry about two cluntries, making it here and helping the other country. I bet there's a bit of selfishness in all this too in that they say: "that's for the governement to do and if I have to go out of my way to do something, then I am taking away from something I could do for me and my immediate family; the ones who matter"

As someone before me in this thread mentioned, there is a huge lack of organization in our community. but I think there's also a lack of will. as the saying goes "si se quiere se puede" OR "where there's a will there's way".
because even organizations need backing, in terms of moral and financial support; but if Dominicans themselves aren't willing to help and support the efforts, then you bet country will continue to move forward very very sloooowwww.

well those were my two chelitos :)
I am glad this thread was started.

p.s. the very same people who hang around here in DR1, those who care, could spearhead something...afterall, a lot of you here are very smart individuals...just a thought.

ciao

the Don