Starting a School - What does it take?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
I'm on the North Coast and we're severly limited in quality education options for our kids out here (big surprise).

I'm brainstorming, have been for a while, about how to correctly set about starting a small private school for kids who are in the same age group as my daughter (4.5 yrs old).

Small means small - I'm thinking one class of about 5 to 10 kids, private teacher/tutor ect that grow and learn together. This would obviously be a long-term arrangement with people who are committed to following through.

Of the few people I've spoken to, it seems there is no negative feedback about the idea ..... social interaction is one of the issues that come up but I think with a group orientated idea that is dealt with. I went to homeschool in the states for a year or so and loved it, I had a private tutor and never missed out on the social side of things, although I was older than my daughter is now.

What I'd like to know is if anybody has tried something similar to this, your experiences and thoughts on this subject and any feedback/ideas that come up.

A possibility that's run through my head is to work with one of the better private schools in SD or Santiago but I'm not sure how this would be arranged.

Well there it is -- any comments would be appreciated.

Stay well,
Amy

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
It depends. At that age there are no restrictions and/or guidelines as it would be considered Pre-Escolar and the Secretary of Education in the DR has no restrictions. However in Grade School (I believe K - 12) there are may teaching and examination requirements. I am not aware of them all but if the school is not a Dominican PUBLIC school it is classified as a private school and private schools have very strict guidelenes. 1. 80% of teaching staff must have a B.A. in Education from a University. It can be a Dominican University or a USA or an International but it must specifically be in Education. So, if there is only one - four teachers all of them most have B.A. degrees in education, it is not until you have 5 teachers or more that you are allowed 20% to not have a B.A. in Education. 2. All students must learn Espanol (Languages), Matematicas and Sociales (Social Studies) in Spanish. They could learn it in English as well but they are required to have Spanish instruction. 3. The director of the school has to become certified by the secretary of education due to Prueba Nacionales (after 8th grade).

I know what you are saying and I think it is an awesome idea but for the school to COUNT for anything in this country (meaning to enroll in another school later on for there grades in this school to count and not be placed in the initial grade or to receive a diploma etc) the guidelines have to be followed.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Amy, here is a post - read the reply by Hillbilly who specifically says that paperwork would be the least of your problems. http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40410&highlight=starting+school

I do know that you can find excellent educators if you look but you also have to have a good curriculum, that your teacher believes in. The ACE system that the above thread references is good for a homeschool.. although of Christian orientation.. A good teacher can adjust... Also, your own curriculum that you followed in the US was of excellent quality and I can dig out the details for you.. Also, your cousin in South Africa, after the change, went to a community developed school that they modelled on the ACE system, as the public schools became quite bad - it was a very good experience for her. I would suggest that your parents group agree the curriculum, in order to solve problems at the start...

I respectfully suggest that the information in the previous post is not correct.

I would suggest you find that committed teacher plus a teacher's helper (consider Beata), find the kids that are interested, pull together a parent's meeting to set a code of conduct or a set of standards, elect a steering committee to look at things like venue, cost, and practical stuff like that and do your planning real well up front, with good committed people, before you put a toe in the water. You will have to fundraise to start this venture...

You certainly have our support on this idea. It is however a business in its operations, and has to be run on business principles.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There is no difficult paperwork for this, and there are more than one way you can do it, I.e register it as a private school or as a homeschool program.
There is a successfull homeschool program running in Bonao for example.

I wanted to do this in Puerto Plata a few years back, and checked this pretty deep. Not difficult.
We stopped it here because it ended up being only me ( having only 1 son ) and Tim ( the Canandian counsul ) who wanted this for our children, and we desided it is not worth it then.

Chris, I agree, your suggestion is the correct way to go.
Get the parents together, make desicions of guidelines, pedagogical aspects, set the standards.
Then, move on.
;)

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Looks like it's the same story for just about any good idea - show me the money! :eek:

Carina, do you have contact info on the school in Bonao?

Thanks for your input ... and why didn't you make it on Tuesday? :cry:

Stay well,
Amy

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Amy, you can contact Marshall Zipper who runs Rancho Wendy ( www.ranchowendy.com ), he has his Wendy in this homeshool. I don´t have the phone, but it is all on the website.

I still like the idea of homeschool program, our intent was to coperate with both a school in DR, and a school in Miami for certain subjects ( such as English, history, sience.. )

Sorry, I was working..and it was raining, and I was tired... LOL
Let me know if you want more excuses!!! One day I´ll have tacos and a drink or two with you!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
carina said:
Amy, you can contact Marshall Zipper who runs Rancho Wendy ( www.ranchowendy.com ), he has his Wendy in this homeshool. I don?t have the phone, but it is all on the website.

I still like the idea of homeschool program, our intent was to coperate with both a school in DR, and a school in Miami for certain subjects ( such as English, history, sience.. )

Sorry, I was working..and it was raining, and I was tired... LOL
Let me know if you want more excuses!!! One day I?ll have tacos and a drink or two with you!

Thanks! I'll do a little more research and then contact them.

Excuses, excuses! It's didn't rain a drop where we were!! :lick: :bandit:

Stay well,
Amy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are a couple of ideas

Start it as a "Sala de Tareas" --an after-school program for just a few kids...basic homework, maybe a computer with educational games--no violence.

Once on solid footing, you might talk to either or both of these people:
Pedro Diep--currently the Education Director for Santiago, but also the owner of a nice private school and knowledgeable in the wily ways of government and is innovative.

Frida Pichardo de Villamil: The owner/director of the Da Vinci School, a prize winning educational offering in Santiago. Modern, vibrant, nearly independant of the electric grid due to innovative wind and solar investments. Frida might have the vision to open a branch in POP or assist you as a consultant...

Hope it flies...

HB :D:D:D

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hillbilly said:
Start it as a "Sala de Tareas" --an after-school program for just a few kids...basic homework, maybe a computer with educational games--no violence.

Once on solid footing, you might talk to either or both of these people:
Pedro Diep--currently the Education Director for Santiago, but also the owner of a nice private school and knowledgeable in the wily ways of government and is innovative.

Frida Pichardo de Villamil: The owner/director of the Da Vinci School, a prize winning educational offering in Santiago. Modern, vibrant, nearly independant of the electric grid due to innovative wind and solar investments. Frida might have the vision to open a branch in POP or assist you as a consultant...

Hope it flies...

HB :D:D:D

HB, thank you for your input. Initially this seems like the best way to go, it's always better to go to the 'big boys' with an established working gig rather than the idea of one.

I'll contact each and every one of the people mentioned in this thread as the idea evolves.

:D

Stay well,
Amy