Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default beware of centennial internet

at least with the 3G service, since some weeks they give a puerto rico IP instead of a DR IP, many sites work wrongly, for instance when entering google does appear google puerto rico. But the main problem at least for me is when purchasing with a CC, my DR credit card got rejected and rejected till I realize that my IP was from Puerto Rico so the merchants deny the CC, I'm waiting for cenntenial response.

regards
    Last edited by ElPuma; 10-05-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Most online merchants will deny a DR credit card no matter where you log in from, My DR "international" Amex card is nearly useless in cyberspace.

Amazon takes it no problem, PayPal rejects it without even trying to run it and everybody else is a mixed bag of mostly problems.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Most payments through Internet will refuse a creditcard not accepted by PayPal, like we do too.

The problem lies mostly here.

In a number of countries, creditcards are more likely debitcards , no matter what nice title the local banks give to it (International / Gold / Crystal) .
    The owner puts (example) $500 in a bank account and get a creditcard, He buys and buys and buys, and the claims are coming in, just before that the owner "cleans" his account, and that is it.

Those creditcard accounts are not covered by any bank insurance, or garantee by the creditcard company, the only value it has is the actual amount of money that is available in the bankaccount.

And since the seller cannot "see" that amount, because the transaction takes time, and most of those cards are not "on-line" and in "realtime" accessable, they refuse them, because the risks are too high.
    And he has to wait till the account has funding again and that can take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
    And who says that the address on the creditcard is correct and even than how you are going to find that address and than how do you want to collect ???????????

And as well, scams with "stolen" or "copied" creditcards are big business in the DR, Mexico and Haiti.

Just try to get some info from a bank in the DR about a creditcard.
    You make a call, they put you on hold, after 15 minutes the line get disconnected, you try a few times over, finally someone there
    You ask for the creditcard info, and they tell you to call to xxx, there the whole circus starts again
    Finally a person who can give the proper information, but for that he tells you, you have to go to Santo Domingo, fill out some papers and than they will contact you, when your request is honored.
    Don't even thinkk about calling AMEX, they will tell you to contact the bank who issued the "creditcard"

Do you really think we are going to do all this extra work?

Nope, just refuse the card and you are save.
    Sorry but it is the way it is.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElPuma
    at least with the 3G service, since some weeks they give a puerto rico IP instead of a DR IP, many sites work wrongly, for instance when entering google does appear google puerto rico. But the main problem at least for me is when purchasing with a CC, my DR credit card got rejected and rejected till I realize that my IP was from Puerto Rico so the merchants deny the CC, I'm waiting for cenntenial response.

regards
    Be glad , that the IP is from PR, that is more accepted than an IP from the DR.
    If your creditcard is issued in the US , there is no problem at all, in all other cases read my first response.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

True, you can login from anywhere, and in 99% of the cases a DR creditcard is denied.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had no problems with a scotiabank DR CC till the IP was changed, also the card is acepted by paypal, fortunately (was the card entered with the old DR IP?) it seems paypal is working (just purchased some items in ebay last week).

really apart from ebay with paypal I never tried to purchase anything "real", however, I need to purchase "virtual" things like domains, hosting for this domains, web subscriptions,etc , no problem with a DR IP, but all payments has been denied since the IP change.

anyway, this is absurd, if we are in DR centennial should just give a DR IP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do with creditcards, try to avoid that you are living in a "marked" area, as Mexico-DR-Haiti-etc, that will make sellers nerveaus.
    Even if you have a "good" creditcard and they see only an address in one of those areas they will not accept it.

We have sometimes problems as well, if we buy to many things in the DR with our USA-AMEX, the bank will get suspicious and block the payments.

Too many scams made this reaction.

note:
    One of the latest Ebay phishing scams came from a Dominican IP address, so every CC company will watch where you paid from.
    Verizon-DR is still hosting the spammers from Samana, Centennial still has virusses in their email server, etc etc.
    Stupide answers is the only thing you get, as if the DR is the whole world, and the rest of the world is not in agreement with that and respond by putting a "MARK".
    SO almost everything coming from the DR is "marked" international.

Has still nothing to do with centennial, just with the protection of the sellers.
    Last edited by DunHill; 10-06-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

today the cenntenial "technical" service told me to change the windows regional settings!!!!! : "just enter in regional settings and change your location in the country list to dominican repucblic, then restart and its done, your IP will be from DR!" ...next episode tomorrow at cenntenial headquarters in churchill av.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - right

That is one of the basic STUPID answers you can get from them, next they will tell you to reinstall windows and use a Dominican version

But the only correct answer is that, if you monitor is pointing to the west, you get a Dominican IP and if you point your monitor to the east, you get a Puerto-Rico IP.
    Last edited by DunHill; 10-07-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can make google appear from any country you want, it has zero to do with the ISP.

Last edited by Hlywud; 10-07-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast