a non AI hotel in Puerto Platta

Sep 19, 2005
I want to go to Sosua this weekend,(drive from santiago) spend the day at the beach , then go into PP, hit the clubs and crash at a hotel in town.. Id like nice rooms and really clean bathrooms and AC...can anyone suggest a place...dont want an AI, I like eating when and where i feel the urge, and we dont need a beach at the hotel.....so....I only have one more day to get the tips, I am on the 6am flight friday morning.....thanks.....Bob

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I don't know all the hotels in Puerto Plata but if it is something clean, tidy, A/c, comfortable & fairly inexpensive ...... my recommendation would be ApartHotel Lorimar on the Malecon.
Theu DON'T have a restaurant there, but Jardin Suizo is not too far away (turn left out of the driveway & walk about 1/2 mile), Los Almendros is on the corner to the RIGHT from the driveway & local town eating houses are not too far away either!! Cost USED to be RD $800 per night (for the room - NOT each).

PM me if you want Tel. No. I am fairly certain they are not on the internet!! ~ Grahame.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
At least a couple of steps up

from the Lorimar is the brand new Field of Dreams Inn, just across from the secondary entrance to Playa Dorada. Contrary to rumor, it is not a "Blackbeards style" adult resort. Just a small hotel which is "companion friendly", same as other non AI hotels throughout the DR. Nice pool, resteraunt/bar on site and friendly, bilingual management.

Sep 19, 2005
hello, I asked the guy I rented my car from at the santiago airport, who lives in peurto platta, and after i went to the beach in Sosua, he took me to the Play Dora complex, and i ended up at the grand vennetta or something like that. It was fine, and not too much money even though it was an AI...at that point it was dark, and i didnt want to keep looking for a hotel. It was only $80 per person for the large room with the king bed for me and my girl, but it was $3500 pesos for my girlfriend sisters room next to ours!..it had double twin beds.....the food was decent, but it was raining the whole time we were there.....bob

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Too late for the OP,

but for future reference. The Field of Dreams Inn has AC and satellite TV in the rooms, as well as 24/7 power, wireless high speed internet service, and restaurant/bar on site. The regular daily rate is $47.50 with lower rates negotiable for stays of a week or more.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Field of Dreams is a really nice, friendly place. I stay there as I fly into and from the DR (I fly my own plane from Tampa to POP) 6-8 times a year. The owner, Billy, is a great guy, and a member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. I even bring my mother with me, so you KNOW it's nice, 'cuz I'm not gonna bring her to a "monger" type place.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We just had breakfast at Field of Dreams this morning. The food is very good, well priced, the service is good as well. A lot of people don't know you can just go in and use the restaurant area! It is really good!

The rooms are very nice, clean, A/C plus ceiling fans. They also have safes in each room.

I was most impressed with the pool area too! Billy has done a nice job.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is known alots of people take their chicas to this place.
If this is OK for you, then it is a good facility.

As for POP, only hotel with a/c is Sunshine Hotel.

Sep 19, 2005
I stayed at one hotel on the malecon across from the beach where they have the road torn up for alterations. it was for sale and had one name on a sign that said the DOMINICANA HOTEL... the name we were given when we signed in was different. Big rooms, everything worked, and it had AC blowing strong. Very cheap, i think it was 1000 pesos.

bob

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Was it Puerto Plata Beach Hotel? They had some a/c rooms before, before they started selling out the suites.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
There is only one hotel in Puerto Plata with air conditioning?

That is hard to believe.

I know of no more..

Victoriano - No
Lomar - No
Condado - No
POP Beach - No
Castilla - No
Ilra - No
Portofino - No
Majestic - No
Latin Quarters - No
Spanish GuestHouse - No
GuestHouse Atlantico - No

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hotel Montesilva

I will be staying in Puerto Plata for a week this xmas and a friend of mine has booked a room for me at the Montesilva Hotel near the malecon.

I have never stayed there before but it was recommended to my friend. I am told it is a small, friendly hotel - all rooms have air con, cable tv, there is a pool and also security.

I am paying 800 pesos per night over the xmas period

http://www.puertoplataguide.com/Montesilva.html

Has anyone stayed there before?

I will let you know what I think of it when I get back!

Thanks
Daydream

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In my opinion it is a dump, comparible to Condado for example.
But it is cheap.
I didn?t know though, they had a/c, thanks for the info, good to know.
Let us know after your stay, how you liked it.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
:ermm: oh dear!! that doesn't sound good!!

Luckily I won't be spending much time there......just somewhere to rest my head but thanks for the warning!

I will definitely let you know what I think when I get back. I was told the rooms are nicer than Sunshine - Carina, what would you say? We are talking budget hotels here of course!

DD :classic:

Sep 19, 2005
the hotel we stayed at name either started with a V as in virgin or virginina then another name afterwards. It was a very large complex, not well booked up though. they had kids learning acting and singing in the audtorium while we ate breakfast. I saw maybe two other couples there. The place was gated and maned 24 hours. The main dining are didnt look like it was ever used. We ate breakfast at a bar type area. It is half way down from the one end where Crystals is. The room was nice, they had a little kitchen area with pots and pans for doingyour own cooking , if you wanted. they had a refridgerator, the larger living room area with the bedroom closed off with two doors to access it. The grounds looked unkept, like they were having financial troubles. the pool looked like it was maintained poorly. They put a braclet on us like a AI, but they didnt offer any ammenities like an AI would. I took it because they had a blow dryer in the bathroom!...it was rainign all day and we were going to the DR1 thanksgiving dinner, and I wanted to make sure my gf could do her hair...thats kinda stuff is important you know! ha ha ha.....I drove by the Sunshine hotel I am sure. i was going to check in there, because i couldnt find the hotel we stayed at. My friend who I called for info on a hotel gave me the name they used at the front desk, but the sign out front said another, so I kept passing it. When back on the main drag I passed the Sunshine twice and saw a nicer newer vehicle in the parking lot. That was my clue it might not be a bad hotel.
There is a REALLY nice hotel up on the hill after you pass the Brugal factory. Its a right turn up in the midst of some newer higher class homes. i think it started with an A. but they were booked solid. That hotel had AC for SURE!!!!!!!!!!

good luck....bob

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
True BOB.. that?s the Castillo de Ambar or something like that.
They have a/c, I forgot about them as they are located so far away.
Unless you have a car of course, then it?s no problem

I wonder where you stayed..LOL.
Portofino is in that area, Montemar..But none starts with V...