Haitian Emigration.

L

L.S.

Down below some posted this:

>>"Right wing nationalists claimed one million Haitians now lived in the country" 1983 "(Balaguer even claimed in 1989 that two million did); but academic experts estimate the firgure for Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian descent (whose citizenship rights have commonly been denied) to be around 500,000 to 700,000." The struggle for democratic politics in the Dominican Republic. Jonathan Hartlyn pg.241 >>

I beg to differ with this idea, we Dominicans have the right to give access to which we want, whether they are Haitians or US Americans, this is our God given right as a nation.

IT doesn?t take much to noticed how big the flow of illegal Haitians into Dominican territory is, just look at any interception in SD and Santiago, shouldn?t we Dominicans do something to solve the problem, 1.5 million immigrants in such a small county as this is too much, I don?t think there are 1.5 million Haitians in the US, I don?t even think there are 1.5 million Dominicans in the US, and the United States is millions of times bigger than the DR is, let alone development infrastructure and money.

Recent news state that hundreds of Haitian women are brought to this side of the island to give birth because 1. There are any hospitals in Haiti in and 2. There?s an international plan to put on our shoulders the weight of the Haitian tragedy, we take care of the Haitians so the big countries won?t have to worry about solving the problem.

The Dominican Constitution denies Dominican citizenship to those children whose parents are illegal or those who are sons of diplomats.

Plus, the Hatian constitution says that the sons of Hatians are considered to be Haitian Nationals regardless of the place they were born.

J

Jim C.

The author I believe, (having the benefit of the text in front of me) is not passing judgement. His work is an explanation of the countrys political evolution in a comparative perspective.