Newbie advice: Single gal on a budget in DR for Xmas holidays?

Babe

Oct 6, 2005
I asked the same ques on TripAdvisor, but discovered this forum afterwards. Wow! You guys are a fantastic wealth of information.

Single female in early 30's. I'm looking to go somewhere in the DR for the xmas holidays - anytime between 12/20 - 1/5 works. My needs are pretty basic, must have a beach and be safe for a female (although I am pretty street smart). I do need somewhere that is clean and critter free. I don't need any frills or other activities (I don't want to surf or kite etc). I don't mind interacting with locals (not looking for Sankies or local romance) and other tourists and tend to meet ppl/make friends easily. I wouldn't mind meeting (successful) European men in their mid 30's+, but it's not a priority. I don't really "party" too hard, but would like socialable nights.
So I've been reading many of the archives and it would seem that maybe Cabarete and/or Las Terrenas would be my best bet?
Questions:
Beachfront hotel under $40? w/ internet access. Hotel Kaoba?
Hotel rates quoted on website, can they be negotiated?
Is food expensive? I eat about 2 meals a day looking for chicken/fish with rice...
Any pet friendly hotels in Carabete?
I need to bring my laptop with me - any advice?

The 3 things I'd like to acheive on the trip is to relax, be able to lay/frolick on the beach and not break my bank.
Any suggestions/reccomendations you could share would be great. I know with all these insider tips I can have a fantastic trip.
Thanks for all your help...

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Cabarete will be better bet for meeting people. Over Christmas/New Years time you will not find breaks in room rates, in fact you will be lucky to find rooms at all.

What kind of pet are you bringing and do you know of the permits/papers required by the authorities?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Last edited:

Babe

Oct 6, 2005
I'm considering bringing my dog. DR travel laws for dogs and cats are pretty standard. Just need a vet certificate stating animal has been vaccinated against rabies and distemper for customs. My dog is a pretty good traveller...

Gregg, I checke dout those sites and came up with these possibilties
Kite Beach
Apart Hotel Albatros
Caribe Surf Hotel
The Aparta Hotel Areca on beach
eXtreme Hotel on beach

They are in my price range but I don't know much about them or location. One of the reasons I did not consider Casa Blance is b/c I read in the archives that it's not safe to walk to at night for a female. I'm confused about what location I should be aiming for. Should it be in the middle, the end or the end on the way to Suosa? I'm assuming I could walk the entire main strip in about 20 min?