Buying at Puerto Chiquito, Tropicana Sur

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Hello, I am about to buy two apartments at Tropicana Sur ,the purchase price for both is $53,000 .I have visted a few times before making my offer. It seems to me the hole complex was being sold with new owners who will invest in making it a better place.The one bedrooms are being made into 2 bedrooms,(converting the rear balcony into a bedroom) the 1st and 2nd floor apartments are being converted to one apartment.I have read the thread on here from Jan. A lot of negative stuff. Can you please tell me if you think good things are happening there and a turn around is in the future.
Thank you for your time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Most certainly, I am no RE expert, or even samrt in that area.

However, Puerto Chiquito? Isn't that near Sosúa Abajo? Just befor you go down the hill?

Wasn't that area near the mouth of the Sosúa River? Highly contaminated beaches and even the ocean?

If I am wrong, I apoligize. Escott, help me here, please?

I get the feeling that maybe real long term it might work out but short and medium term this has to be a loser since the environment is so poor...Some people say it smells real bad on some days. This is a case of the infrastructure never catching up to the population pressures. Again, if this is where I think it is.

HB :ermm:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If this is the former Sandcastle (Puerto Chiquito)... The government actually built apartments to relocate the people who live at the river mouth, but then persons with influence got the apartments and the people were never relocated. The apartment complex was gorgeous, designed by leading architect Eduardo Lora and if the people can be relocated (some day it should happen as they are living in the worse of circumstances) then you have made a steal of a buy. Find out the timeline and why they feel these people will be relocated.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Years ago in the Business we used to refer to Hotel Tropicana Sur. as Hotel Tropicana Sewer.

Since that time I don't know what has changed if anything?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hillbilly said:
Most certainly, I am no RE expert, or even samrt in that area.

However, Puerto Chiquito? Isn't that near Sos?a Abajo? Just befor you go down the hill?

Wasn't that area near the mouth of the Sos?a River? Highly contaminated beaches and even the ocean?

If I am wrong, I apoligize. Escott, help me here, please?
Up the hill from Sosua Abajo going to Airport on right.

This is the place HB but he is buying by the main road I think and not down by the ocean/beach/river. Big bang for the buck but of course not the best located area and that is why the big bang for the buck. As Sosua gets more pricey I guess these prices will rise although they haven't yet.

Escott

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Escott said:
Yo Ace, good luck with your purchase!
Thanks Scott,
I'll keep you posted, trying to buy something here has been a learning experience.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Hi Ace,

Since this is such a highly risky and very speculative area, why not renting there for a week and make a decision based on that? I have visited the condos, personally, I would stay away but really depends on your budget. You sure get a lot for the price. Since you seem to want to buy to make a profit, there are many other places better suited to make a profit from than Puerto Chiquito. The whole area is pretty run down. When I was there, there was no smell but the place was also deserted. Again, I haven't stayed there for a week so, I can't comment on it. Bets of luck with your investment.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wasn't going to mention Sand Castle. One of Marino Ochoa's few mistakes.
They went out of business because anyone that swam in the ocean came down with violent stomach problems, some very, very serious....

Like Dolores said, if and when they move the people out of ther, clean up the sewage, get a sewer system going and make the place a bit hygienic, it might, just might take off.

I think I'd listen to the experts and find something else unless you are wanting to wait a long time for the chickens to come home and roost.

HB :D:D:D:D

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If memory serves, after Sandcastle, Qualton Club ran the hotel for a year or two - once again to terrible reviews due to the polluted outflow from Rio Sosua. Even by bussing their guests to Playa Sosua they could not shake the pollution problem and they closed down.

Gregg

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
FireGuy said:
If memory serves, after Sandcastle, Qualton Club ran the hotel for a year or two - once again to terrible reviews due to the polluted outflow from Rio Sosua. Even by bussing their guests to Playa Sosua they could not shake the pollution problem and they closed down.

Gregg

All this info has nothing to do with "Tropicana Sur" which is not located on the beach or even near the "Sandcastle Hotel" but it is located at the entrance of Puerto Chiquito. The property is built very solid with very nice 1 BDR apartments at an incredible low price that is if you can find an apartment for sale.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
palmiche said:
All this info has nothing to do with "Tropicana Sur" which is not located on the beach or even near the "Sandcastle Hotel" but it is located at the entrance of Puerto Chiquito. The property is built very solid with very nice 1 BDR apartments at an incredible low price that is if you can find an apartment for sale.
Entirely your choice to pay attention to or ignore any particular posting. Some may choose a different distance when defining "near" since it is a relative term. Probably a good thing in that area not to be located on the beach, at least IMHO.

Different strokes...

You don't happen to own one of those apartments, do you?

Gregg

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I've been to those appartments. They look alright from the outside, balconies are nice, the pool is nice and there are plenty appts for sale BUT I think there is not much value add for the near future (ie. 2- yrs). I, personally don't see much appreciation potential there but I have to agree the place is not that bad for the price. If Ace is thinking as an investor, I would suggest stay away, there are other areas which offer more potential than Puerto Chiquito.

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
ecarignan said:
I've been to those appartments. They look alright from the outside, balconies are nice, the pool is nice and there are plenty appts for sale BUT I think there is not much value add for the near future (ie. 2- yrs). I, personally don't see much appreciation potential there but I have to agree the place is not that bad for the price. If Ace is thinking as an investor, I would suggest stay away, there are other areas which offer more potential than Puerto Chiquito.

Can you list those "other opportunities" in the "Sosua/Cabarete are" for less than $30K?

Get your facts straight "there aren't many apartments for sale in tha location anymore" Since a Santiago Bank decided to fix the 22 apartments they did own and was able to sale all of them there is only a very few left for sale.

What do you expect for less than $30K? A suite at the Trump hotel in NY?
Where do you get a 1 bdrm apt (you can actually make another bdr for less than $2k) of +80m2 of construction for that price?

Those apts are an excellent investment for the next 2-4 years and an equal good deal if you keep them for a 3-4 week/annum holiday location. The maintenance fee is RD2,600 which includes everything but cable or phone.

Bring your facts, please!!

By the way I do not own property on that location or have any vested interest either.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I stayed at those apartments approx 8 years ago - and even used the beach that was not disgusting then (thankfully).

I do recall a few nice homes on the road to the beach, as well as many that were not finished, overgrown shrubbery suggesting they never would be, which leads me to believe that there are indeed issues with utilities as well as the property not being well-situated for those that like a beach close by.

That complex backs on to the busy road (which can be a plus when you need a bus/cab/publico or the staff bus, which I used to get to Playa Dorada or PP Central!) to get you to Sosua or PP., but can be very noisy.

I imagine that it has not changed much since my stay with the exception of the reno that another poster mentioned. If you are simply looking for cheap lodgings and don't care about beach, then it's ok but as far as appreciating - I would seriously doubt that will happen any time soon.

Another note-it was time share when we were there, and my Dominican friend was not allowed on the property-(disclaimer-not my Sankie) and I imagine that will still be the case (good for some-not for others who's interest lies in..well, lying down!)

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Palmiche,

I am no expert but I was trying to give Ace some feedback as an investor, which is what I am, not as a vacation appartment, which I don't think Ace is doing. He seems to be buying to make a profit. First of all, of course there aren't anything that is a good investment for sub $30K, I have to agree with you but I've never said there are other better areas for the same price. If he buys a single appartment in Sosua, he can make a better profit. Never said I was expecting a suite at the Trump, I think you assumed that, but I was really complimenting what you get for the price. I still think this is one of the best bang for the buck (if for vacationing) in one of the worst area and offers no potential for growth, and that seems to be the general feeling of everyone but you. These are facts. Your point was that it's very cheap and you get pretty decent appartments, I totally agree but I totally disagree that these condos offer any potential of appreciation. These are my facts! It all depends what budget Ace is bringing into the DR but he shouldn't jump on the opportunity to buy 2 condos in a not so good area.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Was in then got right out....

I decided to live in a unit I was thinking of buying at Puerto Chiquito (the building by the road) before actually purchasing it. I was going to purchase this and then possibly several others for the purpose of renting. I had my furniture moved in and noticed that the power was off which didn't alarm me as I live here and know this is normal. However, once nightfall came the power was still off and without power there is also no water.

I woke up the next day to the smell of the toilet and was still without lights. I found myself going to the pool, which was looking green and ugly to get buckets of water to flush my toilet. It reminded me of living in Jamao del Norte (the campo) except it was a lot more expensive. Of course as people have said, there is a good bang for the buck here and the future can only go up. However, conditions at the time (2 years ago) were horrendous. I cancelled the contract. Has anything changed since then? I do not know as I have purchased a condo elsewhere and also bought land and am now in the process of building a villa.

It looks like a nice place and I hope that things there do improve. Good luck!

Last edited:

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
DominicanScotty said:
I decided to live in a unit I was thinking of buying at Puerto Chiquito (the building by the road) before actually purchasing it. I was going to purchase this and then possibly several others for the purpose of renting. I had my furniture moved in and noticed that the power was off which didn't alarm me as I live here and know this is normal. However, once nightfall came the power was still off and without power there is also no water.

I woke up the next day to the smell of the toilet and was still without lights. I found myself going to the pool, which was looking green and ugly to get buckets of water to flush my toilet. It reminded me of living in Jamao del Norte (the campo) except it was a lot more expensive. Of course as people have said, there is a good bang for the buck here and the future can only go up. However, conditions at the time (2 years ago) were horrendous. I cancelled the contract. Has anything changed since then? I do not know as I have purchased a condo elsewhere and also bought land and am now in the process of building a villa.

It looks like a nice place and I hope that things there do improve. Good luck!

I do agree, (two years ago) there were some problems related to 22 apartments out of 42 being derilict and almos abandoned (those belonging to the Stago Bank) and problems with the city water supply and some problems with the Diesel plant.

I am not referring to the building's condition "yesterday" I am referring to the situation "today". When you buy Real Estate you do not "Backdate" your cheque, don't you?

Come to the place today and see for yourself that you did miss an opportunity two years ago. I did not. I bought 2 apts 3 years ago and made 100% profit this year.

Puerto Chiquito is a well developed area with all services in place and asphalt roads, it is close to everthing and by having a so called "bad reputation" it is the place to invest now. I bid a dollar to a donught that "Escott" will agree with my assessment today.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Palmiche,

I'm happy that you made 100% return but pretty much all of us that bought in 2002-2003 made 100% + return, including myself and several others that bought properties in the range of 70-120K. Everyone I know have more than doubled their investment in and around Sosua and Cabarete. So, I don't think it's just the location but more the market itself than pretty much doubled.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Villas Carolina? Is that the name? - In Sosua down by the Helicopter pads and opposite the derelict purple nightclub. Some bank or another was selling large 2 bed apartments with 2 balconies for 15K.

How big are your balls?

Nice? - No. Cheap? - Yes and do you know why?

(It's because they're crap).

If I can quote the film Christine - "You can clean up a heap of sh*t, but you can't polish a turd".

There's no such thing as a quality condo for 30k.