More ATM Fraud with Banco Popular - Naco, SD

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
I just wanted to throw this out to those that live in or near Naco, Santo Domingo.

Incident One:
Date: Sunday, September 25, 2005
ATM Location: Banco Popular, La Nacional on Lope de Vega (Near JFK)

Incident Two:
Date: Sunday, October 9, 2005
ATM Location: Banco Popular, directly in front of Plaza Naco, near Edesur and Bon Ice Cream. I think the plaza is called Galleria Naco.

What I noticed:
1) They use a fake sign asking to call phone number 628-8383
2) They use brown packing tape to cover the left side of the screen to block the camera.
3) They seem to operate these every other Sunday, between normal pay cycles, when traffic is lower in the shopping centers.

I called Banco Popular yesterday to report the ATM machine. I went back several hours later and noticed the sign and the tape covering the ATM were still there. I was tempted to take a picture, but I was being watched by the guard.

Great customer service, huh.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I must have missed something. What kind of fraud occurred? Did the ATM not dispense the money? Did the ATM keep your card? Was your PIN stolen? Was it a fake sign with a real number, or a real sign with a fake number? Does packing tape make you paronoid? If the info you gave us is the info you gave BancoPopular, no wonder they didn't help.

Last edited:

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
I should have been more specific. I put my card into the machine at the La Nacional location on Lope de Vega two weeks ago. My card didn't come out so I called the number posted on the wall. I expected to hear the typical voice instruction (press 1 for XXX, press 2), instead I received a mans voice telling me to enter my pin 3 times. I figured something was odd, so I terminated the call and realized this must not be the correct Banco Popular number.

I reported the incident to the bank (using the correct number) the next day and they were aware the camera had been blocked that Sunday. I called the same number that was posted on the ATM the next day and suprise, there was no answer.

I figured the bank would take care of this situation and investigate the number that I provided, only to find that two weeks later that the same sign, number, and tape was put on another machine at a similar location in Naco.

I should have taken a picture of the machine to show everyone, but I felt uneasy since the guard was watching me from a distance. I am not sure how they are obtaining the pin numbers, but I assume they are trying to do it through the phone conversations with the fake number provided.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

Last edited:

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
HOWMAR said:
I must have missed something. What kind of fraud occurred? Did the ATM not dispense the money? The ATM took my ATM card, but didn't dispense money or allow the card to be retrieved.

Did the ATM keep your card? Yes

Was your PIN stolen? No.

Was it a fake sign with a real number, or a real sign with a fake number? A fake sign held made to look real with a real phone number. The number I posted above. It is not a Banco Popular number.

Does packing tape make you paronoid? The brown tape is used to cover the camera so that they can go back and retrieve the cards.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Marcus said:
I am not sure how they are obtaining the pin numbers, but I assume they are trying to do it through the phone conversations with the fake number provided.

I used to have something in my tool kit called a digit grabber / (or a T-Bird for T-1 lines). If you have this connected to the same line that your conversation is on, if you heard or dialed any of the touch tones, the numbers would show up on the LCD screen of the digit grabber.

Dial your PIN three times, and I would have it on my screen... confirmed by you twice over.

Sounds like somebody got a neat toy over here and is trying to make some money off of it.

Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep my eye open for similar shenanigans around POP and LRM.