HELP! Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I became a member of DR1 in 2004, but have posted only about 50 times. I post only when I believe that I can make a contribution to a thread. However, something happened and now I would like the advise of the other members of DR1.

About a month ago, I posted on a thread in the Spanish 101 forum. The information that I posted was from an English-language text used at the University of Puerto Rico. I did not invent this information or post from memory. Needless to say, the originator of said thread did not agree with my information and was highly upset. She told me that >her< thread was not the object of debate and that I should begin my own thread in the Debate Forum. She also called on the moderator to delete my participations from >her< thread.

Here is where I need your help: If someone begins a thread in the Government Board and writes that Leonel is the best thing to happen to the Domincan Republic, does everybody else that posts there need only to praise the virtues of Leonel and give examples of all the wonderful things he has done for the country? If someone does not agree, is that person prohibited from posting there and has to start his/her own thread in the Debate
section?

Another example: If someone begins a thread in the Living Board and writes that the North Coast is the best place to live in the Dominican Republic, does everybody else have to give only examples of how wonderful the North Coast is and the benefits of living there? If someone does not agree, is that person also prohibited from posting there and has to start his/her own thread in the Debate section?

I would really appreciate your comments on this issue as I do not want cross anybody else and spoil their day and/or night! Please help me out on this one!
Regards to all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LatinoRican, have you raised these issues with the moderators? Wouldn't that have been more appropriate? If you already have, please ignore this post.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
LatinoRican said:
I became a member of DR1 in 2004, but have posted only about 50 times. I post only when I believe that I can make a contribution to a thread. However, something happened and now I would like the advise of the other members of DR1.

About a month ago, I posted on a thread in the Spanish 101 forum. The information that I posted was from an English-language text used at the University of Puerto Rico. I did not invent this information or post from memory. Needless to say, the originator of said thread did not agree with my information and was highly upset. She told me that >her< thread was not the object of debate and that I should begin my own thread in the Debate Forum. She also called on the moderator to delete my participations from >her< thread.

Here is where I need your help: If someone begins a thread in the Government Board and writes that Leonel is the best thing to happen to the Domincan Republic, does everybody else that posts there need only to praise the virtues of Leonel and give examples of all the wonderful things he has done for the country? If someone does not agree, is that person prohibited from posting there and has to start his/her own thread in the Debate
section?

Another example: If someone begins a thread in the Living Board and writes that the North Coast is the best place to live in the Dominican Republic, does everybody else have to give only examples of how wonderful the North Coast is and the benefits of living there? If someone does not agree, is that person also prohibited from posting there and has to start his/her own thread in the Debate section?

I would really appreciate your comments on this issue as I do not want cross anybody else and spoil their day and/or night! Please help me out on this one!
Regards to all.
Latinorican, on DR1 there is a sort of senority (spelling?) thing occuring, but is based on how constructive one's post are towards balancing and/or presenting a point of view on any given thread.

Some moderators/thread creators have preferences for certain DR1ers and not others. In some cases, a moderator or thread creator will eliminate or tolerate good and bad posts depending on their mood towards the person posting.

In short, learn to live with it and move on.

If you are truly bothered by this, I would suggest for you to participate more on diverse types of threads. Then, the average person here would be able to see your style and general opinions towards different things and they will be better at judging the validity and/or worthyness of your posts on this site.

This is how DR1 works and I don't think it's going to change for anyone.... Plenty of people don't like it and the go to other sites, but given that this IS the most popular of all english based DR oriented sites, I can say with much certainty that most people are perfectly fine with DR1's way of being.

-NAL

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What Nal0whs said, and...

Think of it like a restaurant. "Sometimes" you make sure your best and those customers that support you get the best seats. It's good for business :)

We have been doing this a long time and have made lots of mistakes on the way, but we also know what works.

We have a very active message board and that's not by accident.
We have no plans to change the format or the way we moderate, you either love us or hate us.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
LatinoRican said:

section?

Regards to all.

I must say that for the most part the moderators on this website are pretty fair. They'll let you know when you've crossed "their" line--but all in all, it's a well run site and message board.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Any message board would be extremely boring if every post always agreed with the original post.

Of course this is not so here or anywhere so as Nal0whs has suggested perhaps you experienced some subjective inconsistant moderating which is certainly not rare on DR1.

Which thread was this?

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Please advise...

Chirimoya: The moderator sent me a private message asking me "not to make things harder for her." I wrote to her explaining my point of view on the issue. She never answered. To her credit, however, she deleted the whole thread and not only my participation which probably did not make the original poster very happy.

Nal0whs: Yes. I have noticed the seniority and preference thing that you mention! I guess it is just human nature to favor people you know (maybe personally) over complete strangers. As I said, I participate only in those threads in which I feel I have something informative to add. I have been visiting the Dominican Republic since 1976, and will have been married to a Dominicana from Puerto Plata for 20 years in 2006. But still, I do not feel the need to comment on every topic posted. BTW, I enjoy your participations very much. I find them very well thought out and documented!

Robert: I am not asking you to change the format of DR1. I am sorry if you got that impression.

Malibook: As I mentioned to Chirimoya, the thread was deleted by the moderator. In a Solomonic decision, she favored neither the original poster nor me, which I repeat, is to her credit for she probably knows the creator of said post on a personal basis.

I will continue to post on DR1 as long as I am allowed to do so. It is not my desire to change its format or alienate any of its long standing members. But I do think that a little tolerance to dissenting point of views helps any board grow in diversity and information. Thank you all for your input!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
LatinoRican said:
I will continue to post on DR1 as long as I am allowed to do so. It is not my desire to change its format or alienate any of its long standing members. But I do think that a little tolerance to dissenting point of views helps any board grow in diversity and information. Thank you all for your input!

You're being very reasonable, and please continue to post. I'm a moderator on the board but when I go 'over-board' in someone elses forum, I get cut, just like you, just like anyone else. I've learnt to live with it and I choose my threads and my battles carefully. And if a moderator cuts a thread I can assure you, it is usually with very very good reason. I know we all agonize, frequently discuss, and frequently take advice from the other moderators, before we close, or cut a thread. Give this one up, don't be disheartened and please continue posting..

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Note to AZB et al.

LatinoRican said:
Absolutely ;)

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Malibook...

Please re-read my comment to Chirimoya (in #7) where it states: "To her credit, however, she deleted the whole thread and not only my participation which probably did not make the original poster very happy."

Thank you for your response!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
LatinoRican said:
Please re-read my comment to Chirimoya (in #7) where it states: "To her credit, however, she deleted the whole thread and not only my participation which probably did not make the original poster very happy."

Thank you for your response!
I did read that but since my query came in post #6 I thought you were implying that this was stated previous to my question.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lookie here!

Nal0whs said:
Some moderators/thread creators have preferences for certain DR1ers and not others. In some cases, a moderator or thread creator will eliminate or tolerate good and bad posts depending on their mood towards the person posting.
So darn true Nal. Sometimes it feels like a popularity contest, doesn't it?.

LatinoRican, think of DR1 and SOME moderators as being like the Dominican government: "It's not what you know but rather who you know or hang out with"!!.

Some interesting threads have been closed, without warning, for the simple fact the the moderator or the owner do not agree with the topic. If doing so makes them happy, more power to them!.

Then again, there are some stupid threads that are not related to the DR, when started by someone who "knows someone" stays on forever until it runs it course without even a hint from anybody about not being Dominican related. Again, if doing so makes them happy, more power to them.

I had a thread, Viva Baseball, close on me not long ago and I did not blinked a eye since I have been here long enough to know that even if one complains, it will not go anywhere. Then again, depending on who is complaining.

Actually, a poster toneloc decided to leave DR1 or post less because he thought that it was his fault that my thread was closed. I PM'ed him and told him the way that some things are run here and I believe that he understood and he will be back.

So, LatinoRican, do as I learned to do: Tell them a few curses under your breath while shaking your head and move on. Works all the time, LOL.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LATINORICAN
It seems to me that, after all, this is the frakin' internet, and you can say what you want, when you want.

If you want to flame someone, do so. But be ready to get flamed back.

NO, you do not have to agree with what is posted. The idea of this fabulous thing - the Internet - is that we have a free flow of information. On DR1 there are "some" rules, of course. But as long as you don't use too much foul language or get too personal in your attacks, it is mostly a free-for-all.

Now, please post as much as you want.

HB :D:D:D

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!

Robert said:
It's called democracy, we don't force anyone to post on DR1.

By the way, I'm very happy :)
Actually, if picking and choosing who can post whatever they want is a democracy, then I am blond with blue eyes. FORCING someone would be a dictatorship.

Btw, that makes 2 very happy people;)

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
A final comment...

I'll have the final comment on this.

Closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.