Childrens Benefit Auction - Need some input!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We thought it would be a good idea to let the message board members, plus people that attend the dinner to vote on what worthy cause the $$$ should be donated to.

What I need is a list of worthy causes on the North coast relating to kids, so we can draw up a list.

So please post away any thoughts or ideas you have.

Thanks!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
As this is an English speaking forum, I am sure all will agree that one of the keys to success in this country is the ability to speak English. As the public school system is failing, possibly the establishment of a scholarship for public school students to attend English classes can be established. Use part of the proceeds this year and invest the balance into a foundation for the future.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
How about founding a footballl(soccer) league where expats would volunteer as coaches. It could be organized in so may ways (i.e. country of expats, barrio of the kids, and my favorite - different extablishment can sponsor each individual team). Could also be done with other activities.... a Boys an Girl club perhaps.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree with Howmar.
I would also like to see some money going to the chance for children to attend afternoon activities, may it be English classes, basketball teams, or computerclasses.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
aegap said:
How about founding a footballl(soccer) league where expats would volunteer as coaches. It could be organized in so may ways (i.e. country of expats, barrio of the kids, and my favorite - different extablishment can sponsor each individual team). Could also be done with other activities.... a Boys an Girl club perhaps.

Sorry to say, that's not going to happen.
It requires a lot of volunteer effort and a massive amount of leg work.
I know, I have done this in England and Australia.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HOWMAR said:
As this is an English speaking forum, I am sure all will agree that one of the keys to success in this country is the ability to speak English. As the public school system is failing, possibly the establishment of a scholarship for public school students to attend English classes can be established. Use part of the proceeds this year and invest the balance into a foundation for the future.

Nice, if you could be more specific, more details, that would be great.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
I would put in a bid for the school for the deaf in Puerto Plata. These folks do a wonderful job with very little.

I think we could add them to the list :) Nice!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Robert said:
Nice, if you could be more specific, more details, that would be great.
First, it would be necessary to identify reputable English schools on the North Coast. Negotiate a per student annual tuition. Then, depending on the funds available, identify eligable students to award scholarships to. By only awarding scholarships for 50% of the proceeds and investing the balance, in year 2 you then can grant scholarships for 50% of proceeds from year 2 plus the income derived from year 1 investment. If this is to become an annual event, the investment income will eventually dwarf the annual fundraising and become self-perpetuating. The work involved would be in forming a scholarship committee to establish eligability guidelines and solicit/screen applicants.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Are the funds going towards other organizations, or are we looking for individual/other direct needs etc. Or maybe both?

I think both Chris and Howmar have great ideas.
I personally, as Scott wants to make this an annual auction, am not so in favour to just handle over the funds to organizations.
Many on DR1, knows the area so well, living here or not, so I would hope this can be a complement to the existing organizations out here, that do a splendind work where they are located.

What do you think?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
carina said:
Are the funds going towards other organizations, or are we looking for individual/other direct needs etc. Or maybe both?

I think both Chris and Howmar have great ideas.
I personally, as Scott wants to make this an annual auction, am not so in favour to just handle over the funds to organizations.
Many on DR1, knows the area so well, living here or not, so I would hope this can be a complement to the existing organizations out here, that do a splendind work where they are located.

What do you think?

I personally think it would be better if we do not go via an existing charitable organization. Also, as you say, it's better not to donate money. Donating equipment or resources is the way to go.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I am sure, that among all the members of DR1, there will be so many ideas and information about where to donate, everything from equipment to a sportsteam, needs for the Deaf School that Chris wrote about, to an operation etc etc.
And I also think that is the good thing with DR1 members, that we can find those needs.

Another side of this, is that if money goes to organizations such as the ones mentioned, we will have a harder time getting donators for the auction, this year and following years. This, as many already donates directly to those organizations, and will feel, "I already gave this or that"...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is a difficult thing to decide on. A few years ago, MaineGirl and I and others had some conversations about this. This is the hard thing about doing something good and not wanting to incur administrative costs... because at this point, you start incurring administrative fees, 'cause someone has to do it. Somehow has to figure out what where and how... :ermm: and you usually have some costs for this..

I would make a suggestion that you continue with this thread to identify worth while causes. After the action, you consider whether perhaps half the funds are sufficient to start an investment fund. If you can do this, start a fund as Howmar suggested.

Then, consider the worthy causes and give to them as a percentage of number of kids helped or supported... e.g., you have say 100 bucks - an organization that you are considering, supports 20 kids. So, they get 20 bucks.

This is just one idea.. Also perhaps Chiri could 'chirp' in here... She has a wealth of experience in this area...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Robert said:
I personally think it would be better if we do not go via an existing charitable organization. Also, as you say, it's better not to donate money. Donating equipment or resources is the way to go.
I agree, as each layer of administration diminishes the impact of the program. Also, remember the addage on charity:

Give a hungry man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a hungry man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

The theme should be establishing a longterm solution to any problem selected, not a bandaid short term solution. Although school supplies, uniforms, etc. are in need, they are consumables, leaving no lasting impact on a problem.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri chirping in

It's a difficult one. When you have a smallish amount of money to donate it is often best to put it through an existing organisation that has a proven track record. You as the donor would need to monitor it to some extent, to ensure it has gone towards the agreed items/activities.

The other choice is to set up something yourself, but this involves a huge amount of work, and for a new venture to be worthwhile, a lot of money needs to be involved, and you end up incurring your own admin expenses anyway.

I agree that addressing the causes of poverty and looking at long term solutions is preferable to the short term, small scale band aid effect, but when it's a small amount of money it might be the only thing you can stretch to. Books for schools, outings for kids, that sort of thing?

I like the scholarship idea. Maybe it could be extended to other sorts of courses in areas that are relevant to the local economy, not just English. Small business development? IT? Crafts? Tourism related training? Vocational training of other kinds? Does anyone have contacts with training institutes people could go to? It's also necessary to provide the fare and lunch money, as well as the course fees. Who would choose the beneficiaries and how? Some sort of committee combining expats and locals? What would the criteria be?

My other concern is that the expat areas get a lot of attention and there are many parts of the country away from the tourists and expats where the schools never get the sort of donations the others do. Again, difficult logistically, but worth considering.

My votes would go for the most simple and effective option which is to put the funds through an existing organisation or the more ambitious but compelling scholarship idea, if it could be properly administered.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I see what you are saying Chiri, but then one problem remains.
I would not have gotten 20 % of the donators so far if we were collecting for an existing organization. Simply because all those companies that have services to give away, already support those.
Without the auction Scott and Robert came up with, no money to give anywhere...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
carina said:
I see what you are saying Chiri, but then one problem remains.
I would not have gotten 20 % of the donators so far if we were collecting for an existing organization. Simply because all those companies that have services to give away, already support those.
Without the auction Scott and Robert came up with, no money to give anywhere...
Carina,

When you solicited the Donors for their support you didn't even know where the funds were going. It is obvious to me that the reason you were successful in getting the support had nothing to do with the cause - it is because YOU asked them for their support. Do you think that they will now pull out because they support or do not support a specific charity already - no, they are committed to you not the charity and any one you have a part is choosing will be fine by them.

Another aspect is that if, for example you were to choose the DREAM Project you could go to their website and solicit from their established base of supporters for this DREAM Project realted fund raiser. It worked for us with the DREAM Vacation Give Away.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

P.S. - I already sent a message to Rob with my input... DREAM Project and/or Sosua Kids.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Carina, Gregg has a point. The businesses that donated items/services are getting additional exposure through this DR1 initiative, and as long as the money goes to a cause they sympathise with, it should not matter to them whether it's one they've already made donations to.

If the decision is to channel the funds through an existing organisation - it could be with the request/condition that this goes to a new area of work, geographical or thematic so that the DR1 auction funds are supporting something new, as opposed to existing work.

I don't know the organisations in question or their scope/limitations, though.

If not, what about the scholarship idea?