Over-Weight Baggage on Airlines

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
The airlines have been clamping down on my last few trips on the baggage limits of the checked in lugguage. In previous trips I have noticed that they do not weigh my golf clubs and thus I have packed all heavy materials in the golf bag. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and ran into problems using this method? Was thinking of taking the golf case and packing it with a bunch of things for the house (no golf clubs at all- just using the golf case). Any shared experiences with this would be great info to know (or any other tricks of the trade)...Thanks Tom

Sep 19, 2005
I dont know if this is a dominican thing or not, but the people flying down from NY have more bags than you can believe...three years ago on my first trip there, it was a mad house waiting to get checked in because everyone had at least 4 bags and many were cardboard boxes as big as 3'X3'!...this year it isnt as bad, but people are trying to take bags that would be close to the 62" size limit as CARRY ON'S!!!!!!!!!! at the check in this trip down there was a guy UNLOADING one of his bags at the check in counter..His bag was open and it was obvious he taken a bunch of stuff out, and he was trying to get down to some heavy stuff, because he was piling socks and underwear on the floor! And his bag STILL WEIGHED 82LBS!!!!!! I see a bunch of stuff that cant possibly be less than the 62" limit!!!!!!! when i flew JETBLUE in june, they made you try to fit your carry on in a little frame at check in to see if is was small enough. AA doesnt have that apparently...a box came up the luggae carousel at Santiago that either held or was from a 27" television and it was full! about 3' square!!!!!!!!!... ha ha ha......bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I dont know if this is a dominican thing or not, but the people flying down from NY have more bags than you can believe...three years ago on my first trip there, it was a mad house waiting to get checked in because everyone had at least 4 bags and many were cardboard boxes as big as 3'X3'!...this year it isnt as bad, but people are trying to take bags that would be close to the 62" size limit as CARRY ON'S!!!!!!!!!! at the check in this trip down there was a guy UNLOADING one of his bags at the check in counter..His bag was open and it was obvious he taken a bunch of stuff out, and he was trying to get down to some heavy stuff, because he was piling socks and underwear on the floor! And his bag STILL WEIGHED 82LBS!!!!!! I see a bunch of stuff that cant possibly be less than the 62" limit!!!!!!! when i flew JETBLUE in june, they made you try to fit your carry on in a little frame at check in to see if is was small enough. AA doesnt have that apparently...a box came up the luggae carousel at Santiago that either held or was from a 27" television and it was full! about 3' square!!!!!!!!!... ha ha ha......bob
I've seen a car transmission checked through.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
our bags are always more than 70 pds but not more than 80 and wehaven't had a prob yet...remember if your flying AA during the month of oct from JFK to SANTO DOMINGO OR SANTIAGO u can check 3 bags

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Twhitehead! A non-golfing aquaintance of mine once told me that he did it all the time, but when it took 3 porters to pick up his "golf bag" the last time, they made him dump out 3 tvs, 4 washing machines, 2 fridges, a Harley and his girlfriend before checking the bag through....Sorry, I just couldn't resist this crass waste of your time....Canadian Bob.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
canadian bob said:
Hi Twhitehead! A non-golfing aquaintance of mine once told me that he did it all the time, but when it took 3 porters to pick up his "golf bag" the last time, they made him dump out 3 tvs, 4 washing machines, 2 fridges, a Harley and his girlfriend before checking the bag through....Sorry, I just couldn't resist this crass waste of your time....Canadian Bob.

I guess big golf bags are required in canada for the snow suit, gloves, tuk etc. Only in Canada eh!

Thanks for the help so far - any others with experience with this??