Irish in Sosua

IrishColleen

Sep 15, 2005
Hi, myself and my sister are interested in spending about 6 months in the Dominican Republic. I have read DR1 with interest and it has proved very helpful. It nearly put us off in fact! But we love the Carribean, and hope to spend 6 or 7 months in Sosua or somewhere on the North Coast. We have hopes of using it as a base to travel around the Island and also maybe to do a bit of Island hopping nearby??

We are from Dublin and taking a short career break next summer hopefully. We have been to Playa Dorada 6 times before and loved it. No sankies involved, honest!!
From what I have read on this site, it is expensive! But it's expensive in Ireland so what's new? The thing that we are most worried about is security. What is the gun situation like over there? Despite what people think about Ireland, I had never seen a gun in my life until I was going into Mangu disco earlier this year. We have friends at the hotel where we stay and they tell us it is becoming more and more necessary to own a gun these days for 'protection'. That is a scary thought!

We have been coming to the DR for 3 years and up until now stayed at AI's. We have travelled around independently and felt safe. How about apartments of non local people? Is it wise to look for a gated apartment?
Any tips?
More importantly, any Irish Bars around Sosua or Caberete?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
IrishColleen said:
Hi, myself and my sister are interested in spending about 6 months in the Dominican Republic. I have read DR1 with interest and it has proved very helpful. It nearly put us off in fact! But we love the Carribean, and hope to spend 6 or 7 months in Sosua or somewhere on the North Coast. We have hopes of using it as a base to travel around the Island and also maybe to do a bit of Island hopping nearby??

We are from Dublin and taking a short career break next summer hopefully. We have been to Playa Dorada 6 times before and loved it. No sankies involved, honest!!
From what I have read on this site, it is expensive! But it's expensive in Ireland so what's new? The thing that we are most worried about is security. What is the gun situation like over there? Despite what people think about Ireland, I had never seen a gun in my life until I was going into Mangu disco earlier this year. We have friends at the hotel where we stay and they tell us it is becoming more and more necessary to own a gun these days for 'protection'. That is a scary thought!

We have been coming to the DR for 3 years and up until now stayed at AI's. We have travelled around independently and felt safe. How about apartments of non local people? Is it wise to look for a gated apartment?
Any tips?
More importantly, any Irish Bars around Sosua or Caberete?
Rest with ease.

The gun situation, it appears as if eveyone has one, but most don't get used, except on rondevous shooting to the sky in "celebration". Of course, many of the people who indulge in that don't seem to think that those bullets will come down eventually and all those zinc roofs are not that strong to hold a bullet plummeting from the sky at ridiculous speeds.... hmm

Don't over worry yourself. The chances of you being a victim of a crime are near zero, if you take the same precautions you do where you live or anywhere else you have visited.