Steping back into the 1960s

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A friend of mine emailed me this link. It has photos of Santo Domingo in 1963, starting with Trujillo's Yacht, etc. Very interesting. These photographs were taken by an American (I suppose) visitor at the time...

http://www.ussrankin.org/kortkamp/id4.htm

Apr 26, 2002
I suspect that the unidentified tropical port is Haina, where the USN frequently made call. The hotel is the Embajador. The "Farmers Market" is the Mercado Modelo, prior to it becoming a shop for puerqueria. And how about all of those mechanized howitzers?!?! Trujillo was ready to start World War III!

I wonder how many of the sailors in those photos came back as repeat tourists in 1965.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I suspect that the unidentified tropical port is Haina, where the USN frequently made call. The hotel is the Embajador. The "Farmers Market" is the Mercado Modelo, prior to it becoming a shop for puerqueria. And how about all of those mechanized howitzers?!?! Trujillo was ready to start World War III!

I wonder how many of the sailors in those photos came back as repeat tourists in 1965.
I think Trujillo had already met his maker by the time those photos were taken.

If I remember correctly, the photos are from 1963, Trujillo met his fate on May of 1961.

This also explains why they took a photo in Trujillo's yacht bedroom. Only Trujillo, his immediate family, and mistresses ever saw that room when he was alive.

Another hint is the fact that the photos mention of "Santo Domingo". During Trujillo's reign, this metropolis we know today (of course was a small town back then) was known as Ciudad Trujillo and nobody in their right mind would have ever referred to this city by its former more appealing name.

However, Trujillo (aside from being an SOB) wanted to see a powerful mini-state evolve in the heart of the Caribbean. Of course, that got to his head, he attempted to become too powerful in the region and the American bullets and gunboats were not late in responding.

About your wondering, I wonder that too. Although, I did met a former American militarymen who actually was part of the invasion. To make a long story short, he was surprised to see how much and how fast the city has grown. Places that were countryside fields, today covered in homes and high rises, all in 40 odd years.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nal0whs said:
I think Trujillo had already met his maker by the time those photos were taken. If I remember correctly, the photos are from 1963, Trujillo met his fate on May of 1961. QUOTE]

I remember the yatch parked in the pier across the river (San Souci). Actually, when the pictures were taken the yatch belonged to the State, and was used by then President Juan Bosch. My mother, as the president's secretary, and my sister Angelica travelled in the yatch... There was one particular memorable trip to Saona island...

Apr 26, 2002
Nal0whs said:
I think Trujillo had already met his maker by the time those photos were taken.
Yes, of course, but it sure as heck wasn't Bosch who bought the howitzers! What did Jefe plan on doing with them - a mostly offensive weapon designed to level battlefields or cities?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Yes, of course, but it sure as heck wasn't Bosch who bought the howitzers! What did Jefe plan on doing with them - a mostly offensive weapon designed to level battlefields or cities?
Perhaps take over the world?! ;) ;:classic:

I may be joking, but that perhaps was Trujillo's dream. If so, that proves what a knucklehead he was.

Remember, Trujillo was a Fascist above everything. Fascim revolves around national pride, a sense of belonging to the country, the people feeling obligated to do anything to defend the "patria". Having a few impressive military arsenals and vehicles certainly help boost this sentiment.

Remember the flyers of the Dominican airforce with the airforce planes (which looked like flying sharks - literally) lined up. Above them was the sign of the "Partido Dominicano" (the one and only party of Trujillo's reign) with the Royal Palm emblem. That is the epitomy of Fascist ideology.

The planes show might, the party engulfes national pride, and the palm (being that the Royal Palm grows almost everywhere here) will be a constant reminder of the party, the national pride, and the country's might. Musolini wanted to return Rome to its former glory as the seat of an empire that stretched across the Mediterranean and Trujillo wanted to bring the impressive initial 50 years of colonization of the Americas when Santo Domingo was everything to the migrants from Spain back to light.

But, as my father used to say, the problem with facists is not that they are knuckleheads, but rather that they live in the past. You can't move forward while walking backwards.