New Years

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Folks, although I'm going to the DR in November, I've been thinking about going back over the New Years' holiday as well. Can anyone tell me what it is like at that time? In other words, are there any festivals/celebrations taking place, is the place in a festive mood? Or, do people tend to stay at home and celebrate with their families? How about the expatriate community? Are folks getting together, or should I just stay at home and stare at the walls? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If those are your only options, honey, come on down!!! Can't be staring at the walls by yourself...

The holidays here are definately celebrated - all of them. It is party central from about Dec 15 until Jan 10!!! New Years Eve is celebrated, parties everywhere. Not sure though what the ex pat community is doing. If I hear anything Iwill let you know.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Thanks much

Planner, I have, in fact, already purchased my ticket from December 28-Jan 4 as I would only be sitting at home here in the states. So, I figured that, even in a worse case scenario, I'd at least be staring at different walls. LOL. I look forward to being there then, and thanks for the help.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Glad you are coming down. Don't worry, you will not be staring at walls by yourself here. I am sure you will be out somewhere having fun!!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is pretty much as in many other countries.
On Christmas eve, Dec 24th, many restaurants have christmas dinners.
Christmas day is family and friends dinners, restaurants are mostly closed.
New year is out at restaurants or parties among friends.
No huge fireworks etc in Puerto Plata though.
More people just having a few by themselves in some areas.
Some of the expats you know are planning to go together for New year, you know you´re welcome!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Cabarete beach.......

........is a great place to be on New Years Eve. My wife and I will spend our 3rd NYE there this year and it is a very festive atmosphere including fire works.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Camden Tom said:
........is a great place to be on New Years Eve. My wife and I will spend our 3rd NYE there this year and it is a very festive atmosphere including fire works.

Agree with you! Cabarete is among the best on the North coast an evening like New Years eve, not even comparable with Playa Dorada for instance, that is very "touristic" ..
I?ve spent a few new year eves there too, and it has been FUN