Bicycling Dominican Republic

B

Bob Granell

I would like to visit for a week and bring along a road or mountain bike for my touring. Any info regarding the quality of roads (paved, dirt, smooth , too rough for thin tires, etc) will be appreciated. How about sources of route sheets to plan daily tours of 20-60 miles? Perhaps a SD bike club that can be e-mailed? Any legal, licensing or special fees?? I've not been there, and would like to see SD at a cycling pace. Thanks.

T

T Santos

Hi Bob, It would be better to have a mountain bike as the roads there can be pretty tough on a road or hybrid bike,puncture proof liners in the tires would help too as it would not be too much fun patching a tire in 95 degree weather.In the cities it can get pretty hairy cycling but on the dirt roads,no prob.Suggest you carry lots of water,you'll need it.The people are great and the country is absolutely beautiful...enjoy!

B

Bill MacDonald

I went in Feb through March this year and did the North Coast. I did a bit of bike touring thtere. I agree that mountain bike would be best for road conditions. I took my bike as a second bag on TWA at no extra fee, though a special bag / box is required. I did recieve damage to my bike on the return flight so I would suggest the sealed case costs about $250.00 US, I bought a bag at about $100.00 US, both available at bike shops. No fees or permits were required and it was a great experience. Another note though was it took me a few weeks to get aclamated as I came from a NH winter to the DR and this was difficult when biking, take it easy and watch your fluids. I am going back next week for three weeks though I am going to rent a bike this time for riding. Good Luck and Enjoy your trip!

J

Jim Belair

IGUANA MAMA is the place. Bob, Check out the web site for MAMA IGUANA in Cabarete, DR, an internationally known organizer of mountain and road bike tours in the Dominican Republic. See www.iguana-mama.com/