US Veterans

L

LarrySpencer

Who are the US Veterans out there? Have any veterans groups been formed in the DR that take care of things like benefits, etc? If not, why don't we put our heads togther and form something. I've got great contacts with the local veterans office.

U.S. Air Force, E-5, 1987 - 1993
Texas (Lackland AFB) Guam, Okinawa, Illinois (Chanute AFB), California (Castle AFB), and Nevada (Nellis AFB - Tonapah Test Range).

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
LarrySpencer said:
Who are the US Veterans out there? Have any veterans groups been formed in the DR that take care of things like benefits, etc? If not, why don't we put our heads togther and form something. I've got great contacts with the local veterans office.

Texas (Lackland AFB) Guam, Okinawa, Illinois (Chanute AFB), California (Castle AFB), and Nevada (Nellis AFB - Tonapah Test Range).
I spent four years active duty in the USAF and seven years in the air national guard E-6. Unless you are a wounded vet or got out on a disability what benefits would you be entitled to anyway?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
not much

jruane44 said:
I spent four years active duty in the USAF and seven years in the air national guard E-6. Unless you are a wounded vet or got out on a disability what benefits would you be entitled to anyway?
If you're not retired or disabled, GI Bill (if you've been contributing); 5 to 10 additional points on state and federal employment exams; burial at a military cemetary and your family gets a flag.

Ricardo
USAF E-4(SrA)
Sheppard AFB (F-16 Flightline Technician)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Ricardo900 said:
If you're not retired or disabled, GI Bill (if you've been contributing); 5 to 10 additional points on state and federal employment exams; burial at a military cemetary and your family gets a flag.

Ricardo
USAF E-4(SrA)
Sheppard AFB (F-16 Flightline Technician)
My point exactly.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
LarrySpencer said:

US Army here - draftee. I drive by Chanute AFB (now closed) every day on the way to work. :ermm:

Swede

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Retired US Army here in El Seybo. Never heard of any groups being formed here in the DR but at the same time I've never investigated it other then checking out the medical aspect of it. Tricare has no relations with the DR as far as I have been able to ascertain therefore I must buy my blood pressure medicine from the local market. Fortunately the medicines I need are cheap except for the simple things like the 81mg coated aspirin (what a racket).

What exactly are you proposing to try to set up in regards to the veterans that are living here in the DR?

Rick

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Tricare

I am retired Navy and have used TRICARE successfully several times over the past 15 years or so. You just need the bill on the Dr Stationary or normal bill. Doesn't have to be in English Spanish is accepted. Get the 800 # from www.mytricare.com for the address for foreign claims. If you have prescription receipts they will pay. Over 65 Tricare still pays since MEDICARE doesn't.
r
Jimmy

JonyBetty

Oct 14, 2005
Rick,

jlw919 is correct about tricare. I am still active duty right now, but my dominican mother in law is my military dependent. When she is home in the DR and needs medical attention, all she needs to do is get all documents on the docs/hospital stationary (to include bills). She even keeps her receipts for medicines purchased, and I file a claim. Granted we are paying up front, but I have never had problems submitting a claim, although I had to translate some of the documnets once. I hope this helps.

Jon

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
US Army Reverve, 11B, Infantry 1989-1993

Active Duty
2nd Infantry Division, South Korea 1993-1994
82nd Airborne Division, Ft Bragg, NC 1994-1996

Scandall

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Is Air Force military? hehe

U.S Marine Corps Veteran here.
Reconaissance Batallion. Comm Co.

Where are my devil dogs here?

Semper Fidelis !

JonyBetty

Oct 14, 2005
Active Duty Air Force 1987 - ongoing Three years till retirement.
Spent my time all over the place.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Captain, USAF- 1944-1970

Did a lot of things at different times.

As to Tri-Care-- Get in touch with the Military Attache's Office at the Embassy in Santo Domingo. They'll get you signed up in Tri-Care For Life. And, yea, it'll cost you up front, but Wisconsin Pysicians will reimburse you using CHAMPUS/MEDICARE formulae at the rate of exchange on the date of the "factura". Translation to English not necessary, since TC has Spanish speaking personnel on board.
Veterans, go to GOOGLE Search for VA Bennies and forms. They'll provide a burial allowance, marker, and flag upon receipt of proper documentation..if it's worth the time and effort on your/dependents part. Again, go to Military Attache's Office for assistance. They have some good people there who are very helpful within their constraints/authorizations.

Hope above was helpful.

Texas Bill

L

LarrySpencer

Chanute

m65swede said:
US Army here - draftee. I drive by Chanute AFB (now closed) every day on the way to work. :ermm:

Swede

Suck's, doesn't it? Driving by all these old bases... They turned Caltle into a prison - where the old weapon's storage used to be, a UPS hub, and about fifty other business. But the base housing is still sitting there empty....10 years!

Miss running over to Champaign back in the 80s and hanging out at Bradleys or Tritos. Too much fun walking out of those places and fighting with the Marines every weekend.

L

LarrySpencer

asopao said:

Semper Fidelis !

Old recon dog! It's a helluva thing, isn't it? I'd salute you, but you probably worked for a living.

AGE here...Aerospace Ground Equipment....jack of all trades.

L

LarrySpencer

I'd like to talk more about organizing something in the DR. A recent Board of Supervisors meeting here in California (Modesto) just established the first county-wide veterans group. I think that by putting our heads together and petitioning the right people, we could establish the first international group.

We could also set up a net work for all our brothers and sisters who are either retired or thinking of retiring and present them with the option of getting themselves to the DR. What a great way to spend your retirement. A constant paycheck and a little relaxation. It will go much farther than in the states.

I'll go and talk with some of my friends in the Vet office here and see what the possibilities are.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
asopao said:

Semper Fidelis !
haha, those Iraqis will confirm that the Air Force is military:laugh: :laugh:

Is Coast Guard military??

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
US Navy here! 8 years and counting.

USS DONALD COOK (DDG-75)
-Strike Officer
-Ordnance Officer

USS ARCTIC (AOE-8)
-Navigator

Civil Engineer Corp (CEC) Officer
-Philadelphia Naval Shipyard
-Naval District Washington (WNY)

Where are my shipmates?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Stodgord said:
US Navy here! 8 years and counting.

Where are my shipmates?

If a Vietnam-era ex-WAVE counts as a shipmate, here I am!

JonyBetty

Oct 14, 2005
Larry,

I think your idea is right on target. After reading these post for some time, it would be great to get a perspective from those members that are military. Those of us that have spent time in the military, are without a question, able to adapt to new cultures, poverty and things that they may encounter in the DR. I have read so many post stating that I would need a certain amount of money to sustain a certain level of livelihood. I will let everyone know that the biggest reason I want to retire to the Dr is to RELAX...no stress etc. After 20 years in the military, I know that I am frazzeled. I am not saying that I want to live in a "casa de palma" with a dirt floor, but more along the lines of " I'm just not going to worry about things anymore". Larry keep this idea going. We need a group that can help each other out...and something to have beers over because we all have something in common.

Jon