Steaks for barbecue

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
I remember reading in this forum about an online shop selling very good frozen steaks from USA or Canada...I think the name was..... Pepper...?

The steaks were described as very good but a little on the expensive side.

Anyone remember? Or Knows what I am talking about?

P.S. I am importing a small bbq to Sto Domingo in the next few weeks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The frozen steaks you are refering to, are generally imported from the US.
Unfortunately, I do not know who the distributors are, but someone in here will.
The real secret for a great steak, is to have the connections to get the good Dominican filets.
Odds are 99 to 1 against getting a tender cut out of a supermarket, but if you ever do get the opportunity to have one, it is so much better than those hormone steroid fed American cattle steaks.
A whole heck of a lot more flavour, not to mention being better for you.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Their hamburgers are amazing (juicy and great quality beef)! Their pre-cooked ribs arent bad either.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
PriceSmart has imported steaks as well. My neighbor bought a couple of good sized ribeye's for around 500 peso's total the oher night. They were top notch.

Ian

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Dominican steaks?

I had a somewhat reasonable steak at a little place which name escapes me right now in Santo Domingo on 27 de Febrero or beginning Kennedy from the bridges, not too far West from the overpases... on the Northern side of the road. It has an oval red and white sign with a cow out, if I remember well. Was kind'a like a fast food place but with real steaks... cheap! The meat was of good taste, right cut but somewhat too thin and overcooked, eventhou I thought I made it clear... well you know... Anyway, it left me with the impression that there must be good meat around.
Plaza Lama had some nice looking Filet (Mignon) for about USD 9.oo/Lb. (Janauary 2005). I did not try it thou.
Looking at the region around San Pedro to Highey-El Ceibo... one would think that decent meat can me raised there.
The art of properly aging meat may be an other issue.

BTW, anybody know how to prepare prime rib for scratch... not just the fact that it is slow cooked?

... J-D.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I think you are talking about "Carnivores". I think they are on 27 near where the olde Miami Grill was. I have never eaten there, but will have to check it out someday.

reracked

Sep 26, 2003
You want juicy steaks?

Try "La Boucherie" C/Roberto Pastoriza #315, Plaza Uris
Tel 732-0016.
Every time I go to SDQ, I get a couple of pounds pounds for BBQ!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
rafael said:
I think you are talking about "Carnivores". I think they are on 27 near where the olde Miami Grill was. I have never eaten there, but will have to check it out someday.
I can't argue with you ;) I don't know where the ol' Miami Grill was... that was my first time in Santo Domingo.
I get called carnivoro all the time... and kin'a like that... but I am not shure if that was the name of the place (too).

Anyway, it was not so much about the place but about the suspition that there must be good Dominican meat around.

Thanks! ... J-D.

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
chef pepper

I believe this is the name I was looking for.
Where is the shop exactly?
Or do they sell only " on Line" I tried to google " chef pepper.com" with no result.
Any one knows the answer?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
www.chefpepper.com.do

There is no shop, you can order online or by phone, delivered to your door in 45 minutes or less. I strongly recommand to also try their Baby Back Ribs, they come pre-cooked and with a secret sauce...mmmmmm :classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
J D Sauser said:
Looking at the region around San Pedro to Highey-El Ceibo... one would think that decent meat can me raised there.
The art of properly aging meat may be an other issue.
... J-D.
An important part of producing tender and tasty beef is the fat content. Beef put on body fat in response to cold weather, something that is lacking in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If That Were True,I would Have Lost 100 Lbs. in The Last 10 Years,Not Gained 100Lbs

I will go with "Breeding" being responsible to adding fat,or "marbleing", to the beef,and "Feed Lots" in the USA,not the cold weather!
I go into the back of the meat dept.at "Supermercado National" in Arroyo Hondo.Talk to the guys.They will get you anything you want.Bet you didn't know you can buy "ground bones" for about 7 pesos a pound.Cook it in a kettle for 20 minutes,mix with cooked corn meal,and your dogs will go wild!
"National" has a "Prime Meat" section.I like their "California" cut.Used to be called "London Broil".Marinaded for a few hours and then onto the "Barbie"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
In the supermerdacos my favorite cuts for the BBQ are: Carne FM, Palomilla and the super tender Surloin de Palomilla!

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
good steaks

I don't know about you guys but I have found the meat in DR pretty terrible.
David Crockett Rest. to me was mediocre at best..not so tender, not so juicy
not much taste...
Mercado National on Lope de Vega has meat which really does not look too tempting...
I eat fish when I am in DR.!!!
But for a party, a good BBQ is easy to organize.
This is why I am keen to try this Chefpepper...
Thanks for the info.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you go to David Crockett order the Imported Sirloin, you will be happy. You can also tell the waiter if you want a larger piece.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Hockey pucks, shoe leather,

That is all that you will ever get in the DR.NOW if you would like to pay the price I would say.... would cost for prime aged... would be around 40.00 us lb shipped.the US only produces 2% of prime beef, that's why it's so expensive.NOW you talk about aging and, that's even more.... due to loss.i pay 16 us at my bucther and very happy for years. Now that's for Del -mon....not filet due to no flavor. I doubt that dr even sales if usda choice . Just grill... hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, sausage,...... and be happy you have that.;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
pacito said:
I don't know about you guys but I have found the meat in DR pretty terrible.
David Crockett Rest. to me was mediocre at best..not so tender, not so juicy
not much taste...
Mercado National on Lope de Vega has meat which really does not look too tempting...
I eat fish when I am in DR.!!!
But for a party, a good BBQ is easy to organize.
This is why I am keen to try this Chefpepper...
Thanks for the info.
I agree with you. The beef in this country is terrible. I don't care what they do to it, there's no way you can compare it with the places back home. "Le Biftec" among others in Montreal and several other places. As for the BBQ, you can buy the cheapest steak in any store in Montreal and it turns out great. Here, you have to buy the tastless piece of meat they call "Filete". While the chicken and pork are excellent here, forget the beef.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I'll reiterate

Had another imported Ribeye from Pricesmart last night (my neighbor is head over heels for tender meat now), it was as good as any commercially bought steak I used to get in NYC and about 240 peso's.

Before that, my dad who comes down on a monthly basis was buying special's from Omaha steaks, freezing them, then bringing them down here in his carry on luggage. Prices were usually like 70$ for 6 Strip steaks, and they would throw in 8 burgers as well. Never had a problem getting them through Santiago customs.

Ian

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
you can't go wrong with omahasteaks!

take it from nebraskhamom. they are online at omahasteaks.com. they ship every 24 hours! send them to that currier service in miami and you can have one for dinner in two nights!;)