dominican music documentary

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I dont know the name of the film (yet)...but a friend of mine toldme that there is a film playing up on 181st street (washington heights) that explores the history of dominican music.

we are planning on trying to check it out this week....but if anyone knows the name of the film i would like to find some info online first.

thanks

jj

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Jrzyguy

All the info is currently posted in the Dominicans abroad forum. I posted the website there. The documentary is called Santo Domingo Blues.

LDG.

jrzyguy said:
I dont know the name of the film (yet)...but a friend of mine toldme that there is a film playing up on 181st street (washington heights) that explores the history of dominican music.

we are planning on trying to check it out this week....but if anyone knows the name of the film i would like to find some info online first.

thanks

jj

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
heh...i KNEW you would come thru lesley

come to think about it..i have seen the posters on line. WEll..i hope to see it soon.

jj

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jrzyguy

If you do go please give us your feedback. I am confident that it's a good film and I will have to wait patiently until I see it or until it becomes available on DVD.

As well do you like Luis Vargas' bachata? I don't recall seeing his albums on any of your lists of selected artists in the past. The reason why I ask is I know I have that list pending for you. I have not forgotten.

LDG.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i didnt get to see it tonight.....oh man....my favorite bartenter in the village keeled over the other night with a brain anuruism......and tonight there was a memorial.

I hear both the Times and the Village Voice have written great reviews of the film tho. Hopefully it will get some better distribution? either I will look those review up and post (unless you are faster than me :)

More than just 2 friends have expressed interest in this film....with the frustration being that it is ONLY being shown up-town in the heights.....but who knows....after making the trek up there from downtown it could only add to the experience no?

Dont have much Vargas in my collection so far......will be on the look out for your recomendations tho les...perhaps there will be a CD for the film?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jrzyguy

In my opinion it is worth the journey to the Heights. Just make an evening out of it. The fact that it's playing in a regular theatre is very positive. If you are interested lending your support would be a great benefit to the producers of the film.

I attached the website here so you can see the details. When you have time read it through as it is very thorough. As well go to the link 'store' and you will see the movie does have a soundtrack called 'Santo Domingo Blues Soundtrack'. You can order it online or call Mambo Media to order via telephone.

I have some free time this week (un milagro) so I will work on putting together a list of bachatas that I think you will like and I will send it to you via PM.

santodomingoblues.com

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
There is another doucmentary in the works on the history of Dominican Rock. I think it is being done with the CUNY Dominican Studies Program. I saw it on google video last night. Looked pretty cool but no real website yet.