Gay Males,etc.

K

Kirby Trent

I am planning a trip and possible a move to DR and was wondering what the attitude is toward homosexuals. I am a gay male 39 from Naples, Florida..Would appreciate any info you may have. Also, do you know of any other gay places South of Miami, Fla. that would be a good place to live.. Many thanks.....

A

arcoiris

You must know that the DR is a predominantly Catholic country, and that the secular culture is pretty machista, and so homosexual behavior is generally frowned upon. All people are respected, but the behavior is expected to meet Catholic standards, even though very often it doesn't.

B

Bob

gay life in the RD is vibrant but really underground. However, there are gay clubs in Santo Domingo and one club in Santiago. Homosexuality is very interesting here. The bisexual individual does not see themself as "gay". There is a big "bisexual" population. The Dominican are hot and very friendly. I wish you the best.

S

Segolene

Hi Kirby,

I lived 3 years in Santo Domingo and I'm a french lesbian (and was already when I lived there... ;o)and I lived in a part of the capital (Buenos Aires de Herrera) which is not really visited by tourists, I lived as much as I could as a dominican girl. Yes, it's a catholic country, and yes homosexuality is not a subject you hear people talking about every minute. My dominican girlfriend was afraid that people would throw stones at her if they knew that she was with a girl, so it was a kind of underground relationship. However, things have changed since, that was 8 years ago, and last time I went to DR, the gay group of friends, I used to go out with, feels more comfortable about their sexuality. I was amazed, and hapily surprised to see that even web sites were dedicated to the gay life in DR. I never had any problem with anyone in DR regarding my homosexuality.

Here are some gay places :

Llego - Piano Bar Jose Reyes N. 10 - Zona Colonial Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel (809)689-8250

Penthouse - Disco Club Calle Seybo Esq. Calle 22 - Villas Agricolas Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel. (809)536-3888

Disco Free - Bar Calle Ortega y Gasset N. 13 Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel (809)565-8100

Le Pousse - Bar Calle 19 de Marzo 107 - Zona Colonial Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel. (809)682-5189

Bar Phoenix Calle Polvorin N? 10 - Zona Colonial Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel (809)689-7572 y (809) 688-7505

Hotel David Calle Arzobispo Nowel #308 - Zona Colonial Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana Tel (809) 688-8538

Rainbow Guest House Calle 6 No. 9, La Isabelita Tel (813) 960-7575 y (809) 594-1850

Cafe Coco Calle S?nchez #153 Tel (809) 687-9624

Here are the web sites. Wish you the best.

S?gol?ne

<A HREF="http://www.amigostours.com">http://www.amigostours.com</A>