Bringing in Electronics as a foreignor temporarily living here

KBarwise

Jun 28, 2004
as a foriegnor studying in the DR, do you still pay taxes & duty on electronics brought into the country?

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I suppose it depends on the type and quantity of electronics. I always bring my laptop, external DVD burner, digital camera and camcorder. They have never asked any questions at Las Americas (SDQ)

Swede

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
KBarwise said:
as a foriegnor studying in the DR, do you still pay taxes & duty on electronics brought into the country?

if you bring things that you would use like laptop, dvd portable player/burner, camera, then they would not bother... but if you bring a dvd player, home theater system, tv, desktop, vcr,, then they would want to impost taxes
but first they would ask you for a tip (a gift as they call it)... they expect
$20 dollars if you bringing a few items.... but if you bring 1 or 2 then 5-10 is enough. But if you are to give a gift, only give it to guy who opens your luggage after they pass it through the machine.

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
electronics

Do you decalre your laptop as " electronics" on the custom form? Or do you say no " electronics" and drive through?

What about importing a Plasma TV in December under the US 1000 exemption for returning Residents....? Any experiences to talk about?

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
No joke

Have any DR1 people (estranjeros) imported TV in December under the 1000 US dollar allowance for returning DR citizens?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
First off you can give $5 each to the guy on the ramp and the supervisor. It is enough. Also be warned, any box will have to be opened regardless of propina. Put the goods in your suitcase and you will be fine. I brought in enough electronics to open a small store and paid zero.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
SKY said:
First off you can give $5 each to the guy on the ramp and the supervisor. It is enough. Also be warned, any box will have to be opened regardless of propina. Put the goods in your suitcase and you will be fine. I brought in enough electronics to open a small store and paid zero.

paid zero in taxes or in propina? when did you bring them in? what kind of electr items we're talking about?

i want to bring a home theater system (5 mini speakers, subwoofer, and receiver). I was thinking of wrapping all of them and putting name of someone i know and say is gift for that person.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pacito said:
Have any DR1 people (estranjeros) imported TV in December under the 1000 US dollar allowance for returning DR citizens?

I think they need to start selling decent plasma TV's for $1000 before worrying about that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Of course I paid a propina, but nothing else as my luggage was waived through. I always come into POP.

As far as what I brought, it was whatever could fit in a suitcase without breaking. DVD?s, small TV?s, etc.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Giving it a go

Going to bring a Dell 30 in LCD TV during xmas. Will let you know how it goes.
r
Jimmy

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
SKY said:
Of course I paid a propina, but nothing else as my luggage was waived through. I always come into POP.

As far as what I brought, it was whatever could fit in a suitcase without breaking. DVD?s, small TV?s, etc.

ok cool.

i'm going to try to bring a 5.1 home theater system in ~3wks... will
see how it goes... and if if i can leave sti w/o hassle. I think that if one
has one major electr or several small appliances then they expect $20 as tip.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
El Tigre said:
Same here. Never any issues.

carrying your laptop, camera, portable dvd player would
not cause problems...... carrying dvd player, vcr, stereo systems, or other bigger elect items would cause them to search bag and ask for tip or impose taxes.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
jlw919 said:
Going to bring a Dell 30 in LCD TV during xmas. Will let you know how it goes.
r
Jimmy

reporting back on the 5.1 home theater i was going to take
via STI airport.

I flew this past wknd with jetblue. This is how i divided the stereo system.
1) all items (7) were wrapped in birthday paper so i would
indicate that it's a present for someone in case they wanted to give me problems.

2) the subwoofer (the biggest item) and 1 small speaker was put in one luggage

3) 2 small speakers were put in the other luggage.

4) 2 small speakers were carried in the carry-on

5) and the receiver? well, i put that in a black plastic bag and carried it as my personal item.... airlines allow you 1 carry-on and 1 personal item (suitcase, laptop, purse, bag).
So i did this and carry it with me inside the plane.
When i got to santiago customs, i placed the black bag on the basket of the cart and the maletero put the 2 luggages and the carry-on thru the machine... he wanted to put the black bag too but told him no. He asked what it was.. i told him a receiver but it was a gift.... i could tell him this since he does not work for DR customs... he told me if customs find out about it that they would give me problems. I told him no b/c it was a gift and i'm a tourist.

To my surprise customs did not open any of the luggages or carry-on,,, not even just to ask for a 'gift.' The maletero quickly put the luggages on the cart and off we went.

it only cost me US$2 (tip for maletero).